Stuck in gear / Bent Shift Rod? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > HyperMotard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2019, 07:54 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Stuck in gear / Bent Shift Rod?

So my niece knocked my bike over and got it stuck in gear. i brought it to a shop and they said it was a bent shift rod and that i needed to drop the entire motor to change it. They wanted like $4,000 which sounds crazy to me. Then one of my friends who worked as a ducati mechanic said that he doesnt need to drop the motor to fix it. Has anyone else encountered this? i barely dropped it. i mean it didnt even scratch. Do you need to drop the motor to change the shift rod?
its a 2013 ducati hypermotard evo sp 1100. Am i crazy to lete someone other than ducati work on it or are they trying to rip me off? thoughts? i live in NYC btw
nickyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyduc View Post
So my niece knocked my bike over and got it stuck in gear. i brought it to a shop and they said it was a bent shift rod and that i needed to drop the entire motor to change it. They wanted like $4,000 which sounds crazy to me. Then one of my friends who worked as a ducati mechanic said that he doesnt need to drop the motor to fix it. Has anyone else encountered this? i barely dropped it. i mean it didnt even scratch. Do you need to drop the motor to change the shift rod?
its a 2013 ducati hypermotard evo sp 1100. Am i crazy to lete someone other than ducati work on it or are they trying to rip me off? thoughts? i live in NYC btw
I'm not sure your model may be different...

https://www.ducati.org/forums/techni...tuck-help.html

https://www.ducati.org/forums/848/31383-gear-stuck.html

https://www.ducati.org/forums/848/10...tuck-gear.html

https://www.ducati.org/forums/techni...wont-move.html

https://www.ducati.org/forums/techni...uck-solid.html

Search is your friend there are dozens of threads... yours went bad by the drop but this stuff will explain whats going on..
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:23 AM   #3

thanks for the links. i read them all. and i've been searching the internet like crazy as well but i am getting such a variance of opinions. some say i have to drop the motor some say i dont. i live in nyc and have called three different shops and gotten three different answers. quotes varying from 1500 - 4500. i just dont know who to trust.
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Court Jester

Quote:
thanks for the links. i read them all. and i've been searching the internet like crazy as well but i am getting such a variance of opinions. some say i have to drop the motor some say i dont. i live in nyc and have called three different shops and gotten three different answers. quotes varying from 1500 - 4500. i just dont know who to trust.
You don't have to drop the motor on the super bikes you just drain the oil then open up the engine side cover (that take a special puller on the alternator side. If you have access to all the bolts on the side cover I would think you do not have to.
Old April 4th, 2019, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:

If your'e in a hurry you can get away without dropping the oil - just lay the bike over.

https://www.ducati.org/forums/848/30...-selector.html
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:30 AM   #6

that's great news. you guys are the best! thank you so much!
1998 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Yamaha YZF-R600
1972 Kawasaki H2 750
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R 636
2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100
2013 Ducati HyperMotard Evo SP 1100