Lasik - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > The Lounge > Kitchen Sink

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Lasik

After many years of thoughtful consideration (and remorseful fear of an unsuccessful operation), I went and took the plunge of getting the LASIK operation this past Friday.

I was amazed that throughout the process I never endured any real pain or much discomfort--- regardless of what "everyone" says. 20 or so minutes upon entering the operating room I was up and on my way home and seeing better than I could imagine.

Now entering my 3rd day (come tomorrow) my vision is unbelievably superb; although still a little hazy/blurry/dry at times which is normal during the healing process.

No more damn glasses/contacts to hold me back. No more fumbling around looking for them, fear of breaking them, losing them, etc.. All in all, it was the best $3632.14 I ever spent!!!
numbah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah1 View Post
After many years of thoughtful consideration (and remorseful fear of an unsuccessful operation), I went and took the plunge of getting the LASIK operation this past Friday.

I was amazed that throughout the process I never endured any real pain or much discomfort--- regardless of what "everyone" says. 20 or so minutes upon entering the operating room I was up and on my way home and seeing better than I could imagine.

Now entering my 3rd day (come tomorrow) my vision is unbelievably superb; although still a little hazy/blurry/dry at times which is normal during the healing process.

No more damn glasses/contacts to hold me back. No more fumbling around looking for them, fear of breaking them, losing them, etc.. All in all, it was the best $3632.14 I ever spent!!!
good to know man, Ive been contemplating it for a while now, hate my contacts and glasses are just a pain when I ride
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

What process does it involve then? Never heard of it?

BB and I aren't that old yet to need glasses yet!
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
What process does it involve then? Never heard of it?

BB and I aren't that old yet to need glasses yet!
I think they use a laser to re adjust your eyeball into place, Im not old Im a giant nerd!
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

We'll just called you 'specky' then.
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #6

Because it was so fast I really don't know the whole process. However I did have to sit in 2 different seats. The first one was the preparation which took about maybe 10 minutes tops; basically they just get your eyes ready for the 2nd half in which they use lasers to cut back your corneal flap in order to re-adjust your vision. During this time your corneas are getting reshaped. The laser was only on my eyes for mere seconds before I realize I was done.

At 35 years old, I'm no spring chicken but I'm also not eligible for AARP either. I'd highly recommend it for anyone (hint, hint, Deledo!) thinking of getting LASIK.
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #7

I hate to tell you this but it wears off after about 4-5 years.
jules771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules771 View Post
I hate to tell you this but it wears off after about 4-5 years.
Ah, I was aware of this. Fortunately, I'm entitled to free lifetime enhancements when that does happen!
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Blimey! Sounds like a really cool procedure!
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah1 View Post
Because it was so fast I really don't know the whole process. However I did have to sit in 2 different seats. The first one was the preparation which took about maybe 10 minutes tops; basically they just get your eyes ready for the 2nd half in which they use lasers to cut back your corneal flap in order to re-adjust your vision. During this time your corneas are getting reshaped. The laser was only on my eyes for mere seconds before I realize I was done.

At 35 years old, I'm no spring chicken but I'm also not eligible for AARP either. I'd highly recommend it for anyone (hint, hint, Deledo!) thinking of getting LASIK.
yeah I have been looking into it, but your the first person I heard from that has had the procedure done. Ill probably stop by a center this week. thanks #1
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I had it done 7 years ago and if it wears off then my yearly check ups must be lying to me about having perfect eye sight. I was told it "COULD" deteriorate some after 4-5 years but not all cases do and some take 10 years but I do have lifetime re-do's so not to worried about it.

The Lasik procedure is very simple. They map out what it is that is causing your eye sight to be distorted, do a test on your eye to see how it reacts to pressure and test the cornea for thickness then make a 3D graph of your eye.

This is fed into the laser that will re-shape the lens surface to focus light and image better against the back of the eye ball where it's all processed. They num the eye with drops, use a cutting ring to cut a "C" into the outer surface of the eye, peel that back to expose the lens and cornea then use the laser to reshape. Total time per eye from cut to close is about 33seconds. Do the next eye, rest up for an hr, quick check on things and home you go.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I had it done a good 10 years or more ago in Canada. I'm still going strong. My only issue is at 50 my reading material is a good 18" away.
mackgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #13

*Correction*

Ahem, actually, I should of specified that "wearing off" was an inaccurate term used in my post. I have a new intern and I dictate all of my DS posts verbally while she types them into the forum here.

What I actually meant to say was that after the age of 45 Lasik tends to be less effective as the eye changes faster.

She just went ahead and posted my musings off the record without doing the obligatory "read back".

sorry about that, she's still in training.

won't happen again.
jules771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I was informed that the age does in fact play a role in how it takes and for how long it takes so you are correct.

Is your intern cute?? I think we may need some pics or it didn't happen!!
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #15

Nice! Having an intern to put up your post counts!