Lasik - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > The Lounge > Kitchen Sink

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
numbah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: *** limbo ***
Posts: 410
Lasik

After many years of thoughtful consideration (and remorseful fear of an unsuccessful operation), I went and took the plunge of getting the LASIK operation this past Friday.

I was amazed that throughout the process I never endured any real pain or much discomfort--- regardless of what "everyone" says. 20 or so minutes upon entering the operating room I was up and on my way home and seeing better than I could imagine.

Now entering my 3rd day (come tomorrow) my vision is unbelievably superb; although still a little hazy/blurry/dry at times which is normal during the healing process.

No more damn glasses/contacts to hold me back. No more fumbling around looking for them, fear of breaking them, losing them, etc.. All in all, it was the best $3632.14 I ever spent!!!
numbah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
daledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah1 View Post
After many years of thoughtful consideration (and remorseful fear of an unsuccessful operation), I went and took the plunge of getting the LASIK operation this past Friday.

I was amazed that throughout the process I never endured any real pain or much discomfort--- regardless of what "everyone" says. 20 or so minutes upon entering the operating room I was up and on my way home and seeing better than I could imagine.

Now entering my 3rd day (come tomorrow) my vision is unbelievably superb; although still a little hazy/blurry/dry at times which is normal during the healing process.

No more damn glasses/contacts to hold me back. No more fumbling around looking for them, fear of breaking them, losing them, etc.. All in all, it was the best $3632.14 I ever spent!!!
good to know man, Ive been contemplating it for a while now, hate my contacts and glasses are just a pain when I ride
__________________
I like toast
daledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #3
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
Legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,630
What process does it involve then? Never heard of it?

BB and I aren't that old yet to need glasses yet!
__________________
If it has tyres or testicles it's gonna give you trouble...
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
daledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
What process does it involve then? Never heard of it?

BB and I aren't that old yet to need glasses yet!
I think they use a laser to re adjust your eyeball into place, Im not old Im a giant nerd!
__________________
I like toast
daledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
Legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,630
We'll just called you 'specky' then.
__________________
If it has tyres or testicles it's gonna give you trouble...
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
numbah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: *** limbo ***
Posts: 410
Because it was so fast I really don't know the whole process. However I did have to sit in 2 different seats. The first one was the preparation which took about maybe 10 minutes tops; basically they just get your eyes ready for the 2nd half in which they use lasers to cut back your corneal flap in order to re-adjust your vision. During this time your corneas are getting reshaped. The laser was only on my eyes for mere seconds before I realize I was done.

At 35 years old, I'm no spring chicken but I'm also not eligible for AARP either. I'd highly recommend it for anyone (hint, hint, Deledo!) thinking of getting LASIK.
numbah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
jules771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,737
I hate to tell you this but it wears off after about 4-5 years.
jules771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
numbah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: *** limbo ***
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules771 View Post
I hate to tell you this but it wears off after about 4-5 years.
Ah, I was aware of this. Fortunately, I'm entitled to free lifetime enhancements when that does happen!
numbah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
Legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,630
Blimey! Sounds like a really cool procedure!
__________________
If it has tyres or testicles it's gonna give you trouble...
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
daledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah1 View Post
Because it was so fast I really don't know the whole process. However I did have to sit in 2 different seats. The first one was the preparation which took about maybe 10 minutes tops; basically they just get your eyes ready for the 2nd half in which they use lasers to cut back your corneal flap in order to re-adjust your vision. During this time your corneas are getting reshaped. The laser was only on my eyes for mere seconds before I realize I was done.

At 35 years old, I'm no spring chicken but I'm also not eligible for AARP either. I'd highly recommend it for anyone (hint, hint, Deledo!) thinking of getting LASIK.
yeah I have been looking into it, but your the first person I heard from that has had the procedure done. Ill probably stop by a center this week. thanks #1
__________________
I like toast
daledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
P@rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I live in a giant bucket!!
Posts: 12,884
I had it done 7 years ago and if it wears off then my yearly check ups must be lying to me about having perfect eye sight. I was told it "COULD" deteriorate some after 4-5 years but not all cases do and some take 10 years but I do have lifetime re-do's so not to worried about it.

The Lasik procedure is very simple. They map out what it is that is causing your eye sight to be distorted, do a test on your eye to see how it reacts to pressure and test the cornea for thickness then make a 3D graph of your eye.

This is fed into the laser that will re-shape the lens surface to focus light and image better against the back of the eye ball where it's all processed. They num the eye with drops, use a cutting ring to cut a "C" into the outer surface of the eye, peel that back to expose the lens and cornea then use the laser to reshape. Total time per eye from cut to close is about 33seconds. Do the next eye, rest up for an hr, quick check on things and home you go.
__________________
All I wanna do is zooma zoom zoom and a boom boom!!
P@rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 643
I had it done a good 10 years or more ago in Canada. I'm still going strong. My only issue is at 50 my reading material is a good 18" away.
mackgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #13
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
jules771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,737
*Correction*

Ahem, actually, I should of specified that "wearing off" was an inaccurate term used in my post. I have a new intern and I dictate all of my DS posts verbally while she types them into the forum here.

What I actually meant to say was that after the age of 45 Lasik tends to be less effective as the eye changes faster.

She just went ahead and posted my musings off the record without doing the obligatory "read back".

sorry about that, she's still in training.

won't happen again.
jules771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #14
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
P@rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I live in a giant bucket!!
Posts: 12,884
I was informed that the age does in fact play a role in how it takes and for how long it takes so you are correct.

Is your intern cute?? I think we may need some pics or it didn't happen!!
__________________
All I wanna do is zooma zoom zoom and a boom boom!!
P@rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #15
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
numbah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: *** limbo ***
Posts: 410
Nice! Having an intern to put up your post counts!
numbah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.