ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   Midwest (https://www.ducati.org/forums/midwest/)
-   -   Ohio earplug law. (https://www.ducati.org/forums/midwest/113247-ohio-earplug-law.html)

BudDaytonDuc March 23rd, 2019 07:50 AM

Ohio earplug law.

This post is for all us Ohio Ducati Riders.

This is a post from the Ohio Riders Motorcycle Web Site. I sent an email to my State Rep and State Senator. I feel all of us should consider doing the same.
Thank you for your support.
Go here: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... egislators and find your Rep and Senator. Copy and past the below in. Yea, I know I caved on the earphone issue. But if we go for that at the same time we will lose on both. One thing at a time.
Sample letter.
Hello,
I would like to discuss with you a needed change to Ohio law, specifically ORC 4511.84
Lawriter - ORC - 4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.
This law prohibits the use of earphones and earplugs while riding a motorcycle. While prohibiting earphones may make sense, the prohibition on earplugs does not. This law is antiquated and does not account for the medical community’s better understanding of hearing loss and it’s causes.
In fact the Ohio BMV handbook for new motorcycle riders says:
“Long-term exposure to engine and wind noise can cause permanent hearing damage, even if you have a quiet motorcycle and wear a full-face helmet. Whether you choose disposable foam plugs or reusable custom-molded devices, properly worn hearing protection reduces noise, while allowing you to hear important sounds like car horns and sirens.”
I have a quiet motorcycle, and I wear a full face helmet. When I don’t wear ear plugs I can clearly tell my hearing has been impacted after a day of riding. They ring and buzz, just like being at a loud concert. Yes, I ignore the law and wear ear plugs as do a great many other riders I know. One of whom just got a $95 dollar ticket for doing so.
I can assure you I can hear sirens and horns. Ear plugs are selective in what noise they block.
Simply put the State has a law forcing a motorcycle rider to suffer permanent hearing loss. It has no moral right to do so. 4511.84 needs to be amended with an exception for hearing protection for motorcycle riders as many other states have already done.
Please let me know what I can do to help make this happen and thank you in advance for your help in this matter. 
March 2, 2017 by Tonik

EsromRacing March 25th, 2019 03:21 PM

dont you know??

aborting babies=good
ear plugs=bad

get your moral compass straight asshole!

Shazaam! March 25th, 2019 05:09 PM

Wear your earplugs.

Take the ticket.

Explain it to the judge.

(SAVE YOUR HEARING)

BudDaytonDuc March 26th, 2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsromRacing (Post 1213657)
dont you know??

aborting babies=good
ear plugs=bad

get your moral compass straight asshole!

:confused:I must confess I'm a bit confused by your reply.
1. If you are referring to me as an a-hole. I wear that badge with honor.

2. aborting babies bad=good Opinion on that is my business. If you want to start a topic on that issue. Please start your on topic forum post about aborting babies.

3 ear plugs=bad Agreed. Glad you figured out what the subject of this post is.

BudDaytonDuc March 26th, 2019 08:23 AM

FYI for all of us who reside here in Ohio.

A question about this issue.
So using your link, I looked up my district senator. But before I call I have some questions. You said " Let them know we made passed the House last year with 100 percent yes votes." Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do we use a senate bill number as a reference? Or do I just call the senator and say that I'm a rider trying to get earplugs legalized? I don't think they'll have any clue of what I'm referring to.
Thanks for the help, I'd like to give my senator a call today.
"we" refers to all of the people that got this process started, but it is not a real organization. A group of riders here including me, some help from ABATE and AMA after we got it started.
You want to refer to the current 'Transportation Budget' that is before the Senate and House. It's bill number is 62, but Transportation Budget will be plenty. If you want more talking points on why legalizing them is a good idea read the first post in this thread.
Really appreciate the help Leon, very cool you.

BudDaytonDuc April 20th, 2019 07:39 AM

FYI for us Ohio riders on the use of earplugs in Ohio.

This is the current status using earplugs in Ohio. Post from Jim Kennedy on Ohio Riders 4/9/19.

1st post. Since I pick up my new bike in the morning I will suspend my non-posting cuz I don't have a bike for this one post because you guys are killing me with the misinformation.
There is no new law, there have been no changes and wearing hearing protection on a motorcycle while in Ohio is still illegal. OSHA regulations do not apply unless you are riding your motorcycle for work and I do not know how that would go in court.
Anyone that told Andy otherwise is mistaken. They must have saw our effort and thought we made it through, we did not. And we were left out of the transportation bill that was just passed.
We now have HB 129 that is in the House Transportation Committee, it has had it's first hearing. I am sure it will sail through since our Rep that has been helping us is the Vice Chairman on that committee. Once that is done I will have all of you contact the hell out of our House Reps to get yes votes on the floor. House won't be a problem we passed last time with 100 percent yes votes in the House.
We will need to work VERY hard on the Senate when we get there, there is a reason they dropped us from the Transportation bill. Someone with power in the Senate must be against us. It wasn't listing riders under OSHA, it just gives types of operators that require hearing protection an exemption from the law - at least that's how it was explained to me. This came from an organization that 'should' know what is going on. I wish I had gotten the exact bill they cited that got through as they were 100% certain it had been made law. I explained this attempt to legalize it and they said it was different from what was passed.

2nd post. It wasn't listing riders under OSHA, it just gives types of operators that require hearing protection an exemption from the law - at least that's how it was explained to me. This came from an organization that 'should' know what is going on. I wish I had gotten the exact bill they cited that got through as they were 100% certain it had been made law. I explained this attempt to legalize it and they said it was different from what was passed.
You talked to the AMA guy didn't you. He told me that too when I first contacted them to help us. If that is who you chatted with, they should know as you said, but they are mistaken.
The current law has the exceptions you mention, it does not include us.
Here it is, and you can search away for any mention of ear plugs or hearing or motorcycle you want to.
Lawriter - ORC - 4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.