1996 Ducati m900 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Monster

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doug s.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:36 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1996 Ducati m900

Hello all,

I am a new motorcycle rider so please bear with me as I have so many questions. So first off, I bought an m900 as my first real bike (yes yes, some of you may say its stupid but I did it anyway). I just have so many questions. If you could help answer any of my questions, it would be a huge help.

So the bike I bought was a Ducati m900. The owner and the registration says 1996 but everywhere I look the Ducati m900 is either a 93-94 bike or a 97 bike. What is up with this?

Where do you find parts for your bikes? Amazon says it only has parts for a 97 m900 and not 96 and ebay seems to be all over the place. I currently have my clutch fluid leaking and am planning to replace the bleeder valve as I think that may be the issue, but I cant seem to find anyone that sells bleeder valves for this particular model. If I buy a part for a newer bike, will it still fit? I have downloaded a parts catalog for the 900 i.e but am not sure if all the parts for that bike are the same as mine.

Thanks in advance for the info!
iflysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:16 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Parts are mostly the same on all the carbed models of the Monster. Once you get into the injected era, that becomes a little less of a certainty.

Some of the parts remain the same, but others not. As for the bleeder valve, it should be the same for all years up to, and through the 900ie era. Once you get past that, I can't guarantee it will be the same.

Parts from the carby super sports into the injected ones will also work to some extent. The best thing to do is to use the available online microfiche to compare the part numbers. Some may not match due to being superseded by a newer part number.

Ducati Omaha is a good "go to" resource for parts and part number conversion in the US. There are any number of aftermarket suppliers around to fulfill generic aftermarket parts needs. Clutch parts being one of them.

Hope that info is of some help, I don't drop by here all that often........sean
2000 Ducati 996
1996 Kawasaki EX500 basket case
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
NorCal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #3

Hey!

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind as I venture into more bike maintenance. What about my bike year though? Is the 96 m900 the same as the 93-94?
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:48 AM   #4

I'm buying a Monster for myself and my research tells me the M900 model from 1993 to 2000 is a carburetor aspired machine. Then M900 was made with electronic fuel injection from 2000 onward. I've looked at M900 models that were manufactured in all years from 93 onward. Keep in mind your bike may be actually manufactured earlier than the initial road registration date ie it may have been made than sat on the showroom floor for some months before being sold and subsequently road registered.

Last edited by open roader; May 7th, 2019 at 01:52 AM.
open roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #5

That makes sense! Never even thought about that. Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM   #6

nothing wrong about buying an m900 as your "first real bike". it's light enough and easy enough for a beginner, but it's also entertaining enough for an experienced rider. and you can go fast on it, but it's not stupid fast - you won't accidentally get in trouble on it, like you could on more powerful bikes. if you want to get in trouble, you can do it on much smaller less powerful rides, as well as this one, so it's up to you!

be safe and enjoy!

doug s.
iflysc likes this.
'10 ducati hypermotard 1100 evo sp
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:15 PM   #7

First off, you should look to the certificate of title, or whatever a title document is called in your state, that you should have been given by the seller, rather than the registration, i.e., license plate document. If you did not get a certificate of title, you may be in trouble, because it's the document that establishes legal ownership of the bike.

Next, I'd recommend you read Chris Kelly's article about Ducati Monsters. You can find it on the Internet here:

ducatitech.com Monster FAQ

I'd also recommend you get in touch with Chris if you have any specific questions about parts for your bike. He's pretty busy with his Ducati parts store, Our Company | ca-cycleworks.com but whenever I needed help from him with my 900SS, my 916, or my (1997) M900 (all long gone, but never forgotten), he somehow always found the time for me.

Good luck. Enjoy your bike.

jD
Attached Images

Last edited by j.davis; May 8th, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
j.davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:31 AM   #8

Hey!

So I do have the certificate of title. Its just in German, because I live in Germany right now. I will check Chris out though. Thank you!
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #9

The certificate of title should contain the model year of the bike. If it doesn't, which is highly unlikely, you can determine the model year of the bike by decoding the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which should be stated on the CoT. The 10th character of the VIN is the model year. Here's how you decode the characters and digits on a Ducati VIN:

https://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/VINInfo.html

There's also this article about VINs if you're really bored:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...rer_identifier
j.davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:51 PM   #10

Buy a Haynes or Klymer manual for the bike, it covers all maintenance for the bike, from an oil change to an engine strip.
Your clutch leak might be the master cylinder, Rizoma do an excellent replacement that has a lighter action than standard.

Enjoy the bike and try a 14t front sprocket, it makes it into a quicker bike off the line at the cost of a little top end.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tags
900 , ducati , m900 , monster