My 1998 750 Monster, back home after 10 years - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2019, 01:01 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

My 1998 750 Monster, back home after 10 years

I recently welcomed my first Monster back to my custody...she's a '98 750...I always loved her...

But she won't start...I'm a professional mechanic and actually put this one together from boxes the PO gave up on...it's had three owners since me, but meticulous care, including a full Ducati dealer service in the past 200 miles (two years ago, valve adjust, belts, oil, filters)...this is why I got her so inexpensively this time...

Before I go dig into the fix at all, I thought I'd ask for guidance here from knowledgeable people...

To take a quick look I pulled both plugs and cranked her over...fresh AGM battery, good starter response, I think the carbs are at least allowing a choked run (according to the PO...) and gas is flowing...no spark I could see at all, and not even a peep through the mufflers...she's bone stock except for the Arrow pipes and K&N filter that were on her when I sold her ten years ago...I'm pretty certain it's ignition, where should I focus my attention? Thanks in advance...
kwbikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:08 PM   #2

coils.

buy a dyna set from Chris Kelly, or mod some gt40's.

these are pretty simple bikes, not too much.

That said I have not done these on The Boss' 750 monster that has been sitting in the shed for 3 year now not starting with no spark.
The reality of this situation maybe obscured by living room curtains.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 02:22 AM   #3

Your re aquisition

I think its awesome that you have your bike back, Im sure it wont take much to get it sorted, I can attest to the Dyna Ignition / Coils if that's what the other fellow meant. I have them on an old Kawi and they made huge difference from stock

Keep us posted on your progress !!
luccabrazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[750 Monster]

If there is no spark from both plugs then there is a common power supply fault with the feed of power to both sides. eg kill switch or fuse etc.

Great bike, I have an old one still in the back of the shed. The best sounding motor. Good luck.
sox121 is offline   Reply With Quote