new project: my POS Jeep - Page 5 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > The Lounge > Other Marques

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:09 PM   #61

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_L_over_V View Post
Update: The transfer case was acting up so that's been rebuilt. And there's a horrible drivetrain noise that can only be the rear pinion bearing since it goes away completely when I remove the rear driveshaft (which now has new Moog universal joints) and I've replaced all of the wheel bearings, carrier bearings, and rear carrier itself with a Detroit Truetrac.

I just ordered 4.56 ring and pinion sets with master install kits for both axles. Fucker is going to run strong or I'm going to die trying.
Damn dude, just buy the trailhawk! Probably cheaper!!!
Old September 22nd, 2017, 07:43 AM   #62

No ducatis in the registry

Oh the joy of the jeep transfer case, when I bought mine with 55K miles on it, already needed a new Tcase after 10K miles. People just donít care about service intervals. Every 30K miles needs to have fresh fluid in it.

Good build thread btw. I enjoyed reading through all that.
WiscoG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #63

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoG8 View Post
Oh the joy of the jeep transfer case, when I bought mine with 55K miles on it, already needed a new Tcase after 10K miles. People just don’t care about service intervals. Every 30K miles needs to have fresh fluid in it.

Good build thread btw. I enjoyed reading through all that.
Wish I could say enjoyed all the setbacks and rebuilds as much as you enjoyed reading about them.

I think the key for me is when something goes tits up I use it as an excuse to upgrade... that way weak points turn into strong points and eventually my POS turns into something people look at and say "wow, that's pretty cool." The difference between me and a typical Jeeper is that they spend money replacing perfectly OK stuff while I wait until things break. Like my timing chain; at least I got a nice clock out of that after a few tack welds and some clear. I think I'll call it "time to fix the fucking Jeep." Oh, and here's my rear axle TrueTrac from a few weeks back. Little by little it's turning into a beast.
Attached Images

WiscoG8 likes this.
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)

Last edited by Duc_L_over_V; September 27th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Duc_L_over_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #64

No ducatis in the registry

I like your style. Ride it till it breaks then fix it. I replaced my timing chain only because I was already doing a cam swap. Figured why not do some preventative stuff.
Duc_L_over_V likes this.
WiscoG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #65

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoG8 View Post
I like your style. Ride it till it breaks then fix it. I replaced my timing chain only because I was already doing a cam swap. Figured why not do some preventative stuff.
Yeah, nothing wrong with the "while it's already apart" fixes. That's why I'm going to 4.56 while the rear pinion bearing is being replaced.

My timing chain snapped on route 15 (prematurely worn cam gear was at fault). Talk about a Jeep dying quickly! I barely got over to the shoulder. New part too, 20k-ish miles since the rebuild. Machine shop said sometimes you get a bad one. Huh.
WiscoG8 likes this.
2009 Nismo 370z
2004 Grand Cherokee (4" lift, 3.73, 32" tires, 1.25" spacers, .030 overbore, stage II head, Comp Cam, Racetech forged 9.5:1, CAI, header, Flowmaster 40, auxiliary LEDs)
1995 Mustang (RIP)
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #66

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Back on the road and 4.56 was the right choice.
WiscoG8 likes this.
2009 Nismo 370z
1995 Mustang (RIP)