V4R dealership fees - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > Panigale V4 Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2019, 07:35 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

V4R dealership fees

Want to know if im being taken for ride. So I'm buying a v4r and noticed the prep fee is $999 and the freight is $850. Im in Houston TX. Any of you guys that purchased a v4/s/r recall your dealer fees?
Dasans is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 26th, 2019, 07:58 PM   #2

The better part of $2,000 fir dealer fees. Thatís even pricey by Japanese standards and new bike customers get raped with excessive pricing in Japan constantly
racer162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:03 PM   #3

My prep fee for my 1199s back in '12 $187 and freight was $495. I know thas 7 years ago but damn.
Dasans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 05:39 AM   #4
Court Jester

I would assume comparing fees to major manufacturers to smaller ones like Ducati, the smaller brands have to charge more..

I remember mine was enough for me to question it I think mine was about the same as your previous purchases and mine was in 2012 and not as big as bike (848).
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Thats something I learned I cant get out of. However my little shop in Harrisburg, PA said when preordering a bike they will waive the prep fee. When throwing down some serious cash they will help ya out alittle.
Old June 21st, 2019, 05:45 PM   #6

I have never paid for prep, freight or dealer fees on any vehicle I own, except for my 1299SL, and I've bought a lot of toys. These fees are always negotiable.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
DrgnRcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 02:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrgnRcr View Post
I have never paid for prep, freight or dealer fees on any vehicle I own, except for my 1299SL, and I've bought a lot of toys. These fees are always negotiable.

Sadly thatís not true everywhere. In some places itís just not negotiable.
Tchase likes this.
Old June 24th, 2019, 06:22 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[996]

Okay, since the OP was in March, I'm thinking this was a done deal a long time ago.

"Sadly that’s not true everywhere. In some places it’s just not negotiable."
That may be true if you have exactly one dealer in a 500-mile radius, and he has you over a barrel. That is not the case in Houston, TX. And in reality, you are free to drive 500 miles and deal with another dealer, if you choose to.

Here in the DFW area we have three Ducati dealers, one of which I do business with regularly. Not sure what their freight/setup charges are for a V4 (or if those charges vary by model) but I know they have sold several and had two in their showroom when I was last there two Saturdays ago.

And I'm pretty sure that it would be negotiable, at least to a certain degree, because they are decent chaps and want to sell to happy customers.

I guess the bottom line is to find a good dealer and support them.

Shameless plug for AMS Ducati Dallas. Best, most knowledgeable, most enthusiastic crew I have met at any shop. Great and stable long-term service/technical guys, great owner, again, great no-turnover sales guys. Knowing that the guy you dealt with 3, 4, 5 years ago, whether in Parts, Service or in Sales...is still there, is worth quite a bit.
DrgnRcr likes this.

Last edited by orionengnr; June 24th, 2019 at 06:30 PM.
orionengnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 08:53 PM   #9

Ok that May be true in Texas BUT Iím MANY other countries it is NOT true and the fees just are not negoatible.
Suck yes but itís a fact of life
Old June 26th, 2019, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
Ok that May be true in Texas BUT I’m MANY other countries it is NOT true and the fees just are not negoatible.
Suck yes but it’s a fact of life
The OP is in Texas, so to answer his post more accurately, responses tend to be relevant to the OP. In this case, it is negotiable. The laws of other countries do not apply in this case.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06

Last edited by DrgnRcr; June 26th, 2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:24 AM   #11
Court Jester

It's always about competition, but lets talk about the root problem.

Why is there a "set up" fee at all, Ducati is giving them a commission for selling the bike? If we are buying new we are already taking a huge hit. I've never purchased a new Japanese brand, do they charge "set up" fees?
Old June 27th, 2019, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
It's always about competition, but lets talk about the root problem.

Why is there a "set up" fee at all, Ducati is giving them a commission for selling the bike? If we are buying new we are already taking a huge hit. I've never purchased a new Japanese brand, do they charge "set up" fees?

Because youíre paying for the dealershipís employee time to unload the truck when it arrives using a fork lift. That means your employees need to be certified to drive a forklift for insurance purposes. An additional cost. Plus 10-15 minutes per bike to undo packaging, going over paperwork with UPS/ Saia/ MME and verify no damage in transit.

Once the crate is off the truck itís an hour long process for most bikes just to get it out of the crate. Some bikes the controls are hanging off and handlebars arenít mounted. Which must be done before you can even push out of the box.

Cool now thatís done. Depending on model, actual Setup can range from an hour to hour and half. This is where everything must be done by the technician. Ensuring all the major fasteners are torqued. (Yea Iíve seen brand ass new diavel Xís with barely tight drive side axle nuts) Battery install, updates, mirrors, bar ends etc. Fuel it up. Checking tire pressuresPlug it in to factory diag tools to unlock everything. Apply open ecu updates. Sometimes can take 15 minutes each. Most new Ducatiís have 3-4 separate ecuís now.

After that the tech can run the bike verify no leaks and test ride 10 miles. Quick final detail and then it goes to the sales team.

While $1000 prep fee is a little optimistic Iím so sick of people who fucking cry stealership every time freight and prep fees come up. Dealerships are businesses and profit is essential to every successful business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nickshelby500kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr View Post

Shameless plug for AMS Ducati Dallas. Best, most knowledgeable, most enthusiastic crew I have met at any shop. Great and stable long-term service/technical guys, great owner, again, great no-turnover sales guys. Knowing that the guy you dealt with 3, 4, 5 years ago, whether in Parts, Service or in Sales...is still there, is worth quite a bit.

Haha I almost spit up my drink. Jordan is gone. Nash is a complete crook. The current service manager/master tech Jarrett is laughable. The only person up there worth a shit is Stuart.

I donít know if heís taking on work outside of his track day customers but Jordan went on to start www.elevenms.com

nickshelby500kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 04:13 AM   #14
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshelby500kr View Post
Because youíre paying for the dealershipís employee time to unload the truck when it arrives using a fork lift. That means your employees need to be certified to drive a forklift for insurance purposes. An additional cost. Plus 10-15 minutes per bike to undo packaging, going over paperwork with UPS/ Saia/ MME and verify no damage in transit.

Once the crate is off the truck itís an hour long process for most bikes just to get it out of the crate. Some bikes the controls are hanging off and handlebars arenít mounted. Which must be done before you can even push out of the box.

Cool now thatís done. Depending on model, actual Setup can range from an hour to hour and half. This is where everything must be done by the technician. Ensuring all the major fasteners are torqued. (Yea Iíve seen brand ass new diavel Xís with barely tight drive side axle nuts) Battery install, updates, mirrors, bar ends etc. Fuel it up. Checking tire pressuresPlug it in to factory diag tools to unlock everything. Apply open ecu updates. Sometimes can take 15 minutes each. Most new Ducatiís have 3-4 separate ecuís now.

After that the tech can run the bike verify no leaks and test ride 10 miles. Quick final detail and then it goes to the sales team.

While $1000 prep fee is a little optimistic Iím so sick of people who fucking cry stealership every time freight and prep fees come up. Dealerships are businesses and profit is essential to every successful business.

Profit is not a dirty word, now thatís out of the way..

Yes I know how it works so which is it the set up fee or the overhead....

I was a bit surprised to see a set up fee being my first, hell had they set the sag for me being a newb I would of said sounds fair.. but I did get a ďfreeĒ T-shirt for paying full list... so maybe had I said keep the shirt and take off the setup fee?

Iíve had some very good experiences at car dealerships and some horrible absolute thieves that were even closed down because of their business practices.

As for the 3 duc dealers in my range they have a ways to go compared to the others Iíve purchased from out of state. 300 bucks for the first oil change seems a bit rich...
Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshelby500kr View Post
Because you’re paying for the dealership’s employee time to unload the truck when it arrives using a fork lift. That means your employees need to be certified to drive a forklift for insurance purposes. An additional cost. Plus 10-15 minutes per bike to undo packaging, going over paperwork with UPS/ Saia/ MME and verify no damage in transit.

Once the crate is off the truck it’s an hour long process for most bikes just to get it out of the crate. Some bikes the controls are hanging off and handlebars aren’t mounted. Which must be done before you can even push out of the box.

Cool now that’s done. Depending on model, actual Setup can range from an hour to hour and half. This is where everything must be done by the technician. Ensuring all the major fasteners are torqued. (Yea I’ve seen brand ass new diavel X’s with barely tight drive side axle nuts) Battery install, updates, mirrors, bar ends etc. Fuel it up. Checking tire pressuresPlug it in to factory diag tools to unlock everything. Apply open ecu updates. Sometimes can take 15 minutes each. Most new Ducati’s have 3-4 separate ecu’s now.

While $1000 prep fee is a little optimistic I’m so sick of people who fucking cry stealership every time freight and prep fees come up. Dealerships are businesses and profit is essential to every successful business.

If this was 100% accurate, then they could sell the bike still in crate without the fees and allow the buyer to set up their own unit.

Setting up the bike to sell is a cost of doing business, just like the credit card fees to process payments. The amount charged should reflect actual time spent on prep. Several hours would be several hundred dollars. Upwards of a $1000 or more is merely a tactic to sell a product over the MSRP, which otherwise is prohibited by manufacturers. Yes, business' are in it for the profit but open markets also allow competition to reduce or eliminate this additional margin. Thus, it is not mandatory but a starting point for negotiations.

@TChase - I have never heard of a $300 oil change, absent an exotic. I'm sorry that's in your area. My preferred dealer charges $62.50 plus materials (half an hour labor) and will inspect the bike for free.
Tchase likes this.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06

Last edited by DrgnRcr; July 2nd, 2019 at 07:41 PM.