Engine died on the highway - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Sport Touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[ST 3]

Engine died on the highway

Ever since I repaired my fuel pump wiring and installed the super dyna-whoppin' battery cables she has been running very weill. To the point of lifting the front wheel at the slightest provocation.
There are some rear brake issues but that's another thread.
Today, a beautiful sunny NE FL day, I'd been out running errands up in to Jax. Maybe rode 100 miles altogether with several stops. Ran GREAT!
Heading home, sun's dipping in the west, running down US1 at 80 mph (keeping up with traffic!) when suddenly, no warning, the engine dies. Still turning due to speed but nobody home. Yellow Engine light on the dash. I get off the road. Try to restart. NOTHING! Got power, lights all good, dash does its little light show, but NO NEUTRAL light.
And she will not crank. Pressing start button produces profound silence. Got her in neutral, stand up stand down, clutch in/out. Nada. Ended up thumbing a ride home with AAA and flatbed.
I know I've said this before but, wtf?!
Of course, all my allen wrenches were in a box somewhere post hurricane so I couldn't even pull off tupperware to check anything.

One more time, wtf?!?! I'm gonna post this on the tech forums as well but anyone got any ideas before I flatbed to Daytona Ducati on Tuesday?

Positive note: A guy in a pick up stopped to check on me. We started talking and he drag races a nitro-methane powered bike. Low 7 quarter mile. Had pics. Raced at all the SE tracks that I used to got to when working for SPEED.
So he kept me company til the wrecker arrived. Thanks!
01 K1200RS (FS)
72 R75/5 - under construction

Last edited by Haileymon; January 13th, 2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added more info
Haileymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:33 PM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Exactly things like this prompted me to buy a FJR1300. The ST2 is sorted out now but I no longer take long rides on it. Don't trust it.

Last edited by 2ducs; January 21st, 2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added info
2ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[ST 3]

Also posted in the 'Technical' folder:

eureka!
The third time I disconnected everything, cleaned with DeOxit D5, and reseated, voilá! She lives.
Connector gremlin.
FYI, there are two connectors in the immobilizer antenna path, One just to the left of the steering head and one at the cluster. Wires are Yel/Brn and Blu/Blk. Methinks the connector near the steering head was not seated well. May have been disconnected whilst troubleshooting the crank but no start issue I had a couple months ago.
Now to go quack the neighborhood.

the EOBD codes thrown were:
37.3, immobilizer serial cable unplugged and
38.0 CAN error.
the one begats the other.

I'm in love again.
01 K1200RS (FS)
72 R75/5 - under construction
Haileymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 11:16 AM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

02 ST2 Voltage regulator Problem

Haileymon,
I had something similar happen a couple of years ago and discovered that the cable connector ends btw the voltage regulator and the stator wire were rusted out and toasted. removed and replaced the connections with std automotive crimp connectors and it ran fine.

But now I need to replace the regulator and am wondering if I should reinstall a replacement oem connector on the stator wire just to keep everything original - but, I don't have a good source for ST2 parts. Also, I could acquire a new stator-to-regulator cable but I'm inclined to beef up the oem cable by upgrading to heavier gauge wire. Which means that I would have to remove the cable ends from a new oem wire and retrofit with 10 or 12 gauge wires if I can get either of those gauges into the connectors.

I;d like to have suggestions for parts suppliers for the ST2 and any thoughts anyone might have for this
?upgrade? Thanks
5bgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote