Engine swap - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Street Fighter

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jedclampet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Engine swap

I have a 2012 1098 Streetfighter that developed a knock we diagnosed as a trans issue requiring a complete and costly tear down just to get to the part. I had asked the very question regarding engine swap and yes the frame will hold a 848, 1098 and 1198. I chose the 1198 and it required a mod to the headers particularly the front. The exhaust flange on the 1098R and 1198 are larger I found 1198 headers on ebay delivered for under $ 50 and the rear mated right up and in the case of my Streetfighter I had to cut the flange off of each pipe and weld the 1198 flange to my stock header. That was it the bike started right up and runs fine but could use a proper tune which I scheduled for next week. I started last Friday evening and by 12:00 Saturday the motor was out and by 1pm Sunday the 1198 was in place. Had the welding done Wednesday and was out for a test ride by 5pm Wednesday. I would suggest extra care be taken to seal around the throttle bodies and airbox to air filter. Not a horrible job, hopefully in a months time I have a 1098 Streetfighter engine with 10,500 miles on her available for sale to offset my costs.
jsgbearpaws1 and estevangomez like this.
Jedclampet is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #2

Sooo the big question is how does your 1198 SF compare to your 1098?
182 Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 01:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedclampet View Post
I have a 2012 1098 Streetfighter that developed a knock we diagnosed as a trans issue requiring a complete and costly tear down just to get to the part. I had asked the very question regarding engine swap and yes the frame will hold a 848, 1098 and 1198. I chose the 1198 and it required a mod to the headers particularly the front. The exhaust flange on the 1098R and 1198 are larger I found 1198 headers on ebay delivered for under $ 50 and the rear mated right up and in the case of my Streetfighter I had to cut the flange off of each pipe and weld the 1198 flange to my stock header. That was it the bike started right up and runs fine but could use a proper tune which I scheduled for next week. I started last Friday evening and by 12:00 Saturday the motor was out and by 1pm Sunday the 1198 was in place. Had the welding done Wednesday and was out for a test ride by 5pm Wednesday. I would suggest extra care be taken to seal around the throttle bodies and airbox to air filter. Not a horrible job, hopefully in a months time I have a 1098 Streetfighter engine with 10,500 miles on her available for sale to offset my costs.
Could you give an update on how it goes? Is it still runing? How was it after a new map? Dyno figures?

My engine burns coolant, an the headgasket alone was not enough, so I`m condisering the same job you have done, would love some details.
JK95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #4

I loved this bike ran it for 25k and replaced it first with a Street Triple than a 959 Pani. Look at the torque curve 80 ft lbs at 6k peaking at 90!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jedclampet; November 4th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Jedclampet is offline   Reply With Quote