New to me 1993 900 SS - Page 4 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Supersport

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:31 PM   #46

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1098 View Post
While I'm visiting (and I have to confess I haven't read this thread right back) but there was usually a cause of those aluminium swing-arms on those '90s 2-valves cracking (and many did).
IE. a maladjusted (too-tight) chain, or (more likely) a failing and 'bottoming' shocker. The shockers didn't last long, and a passenger (or a big rider) could bottom them out, resulting in this sort of cracking.
Check closely around the base where the shock mounts to the swing-arm also. MIght be worth a better (or at least rebuilt) shock while you're doing so much work.

As you didn't read all the way from the beginning I'll try to summarize as best I can.

My swing arm was cracked underneath the chain slider on the top and bottom of the swing arm. It was also cracked the full height on the back side. None of which was visible as it was either hidden behind the chain slider or on the back side of the swing arm facing the engine.

It could well have been a misaligned or mis-tensioned chain that caused it. I don't think it was the shock, but the shock was completely shot. I doubt there is any fluid left inside.

The shock mount area is fine, no cracks. If there were, they'd have revealed themselves after the trip through the steam washer. That's when the cracks around the pivot were revealed. As the swing arm was mis-shimmed when I got it, my guess is either that was the cause of the cracks, or a result of them.

No longer matters, as the cracks were "V" grooved out and TIG welded by a certified structural welder/welding instructor. I bought a new to me shock shortly after bringing the bike home. I got a later Sachs which is about 12mm longer than the Showa that I took out .

I have made some progress in the last few weeks so my next post should cover that if anyone cares to follow further.....sean
2000 Ducati 996
1996 Kawasaki EX500 basket case
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo

Last edited by NorCal996; April 1st, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
NorCal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 1st, 2019, 09:00 PM   #47

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Swing arm is now finished. I decided not to polish the entire thing. As was pointed out previously, it's a great deal of hard work and no one is going to see the inside under the hugger, or the bottom. So I just painted the rough cast parts and the parts that wouldn't be seen.

Also removed, wire wheeled and cleaned the valve access covers. Here's a before and after in the same shot:

Both of these are from the vertical cylinder. The upper one is the exhaust valve cover and the lower one is the intake valve cover.

Finally finished sanding the frame and got the paint down on it yesterday. I decided on matte gold for the frame color. To accomplish the look I was after, I used Dupli-Color wheel paint in gold and then matte clear over it also from Dupli-Color.

Today I intended to put the triples back on but ran into a snag. The bearings I ordered did not fit the steering stem so I have to find ones with a slightly larger ID.

In the process of getting all the parts cleaned up for install, I test fit the front axle to the new to me forks. The right side fits fine but the left side threaded insert was slightly larger as the forks are from a later bike. No big deal I thought, just remove the old insert from the leaky old forks.

THAT was a disaster of sorts. I didn't have much confidence the insert would be in reasonable shape as the rest of the bike was been such a nightmare. I wasn't wrong on that count.

The insert refused to come out. The one in the new forks came right out with a little pressure once I loosened the pinch bolts. The old one, not so much. I ended up driving a screw driver into the pinch slots and even then it was really difficult to remove. When I finally got it out after an hour or so, I realized why.

Some numpty used a center punch to peen the outboard end, mushrooming it in the process. I'm guessing to prevent the insert from moving. Just leaving the pinch bolts tight would have accomplished that without deforming the insert.

After some work with a mill file, and my drill press I was able to "mill" the distorted insert back to spec.

The OEM insert removed from the new forks on the left and the old repaired one on the right. Note the marks on the insert from a pipe wrench or vice-grips. I couldn't get those out without milling too much material off and making the insert too small to use.

Finally, I ordered another group of parts from Ducati Omaha. Probably will have to order a couple more still. For now, I'm stalled until I find new bearing roller cones. At least on getting to a rolling chassis. To that end, I also bought one of these from MotoWheels:

I'll post an update once I have bearings installed on the steering stem and the front end installed. THEN I can use the frame tool to mount the swing arm. Got a lot of work to do on the engine before it is ready for the frame to mounted to it. More later........sean
keitih89 likes this.
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:51 PM   #48

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Just a quick update....
Steering head bearings installed, lower triple and forks installed, swing arm installed on the frame tool which is temporarily bolted in the frame in place of the engine.

Rear wheel is done, refinished and clear coated. Looks pretty good too, if I say so myself. I'll post pics of that once I'm ready.

Tank is block sanded and primered. One more coat of primer is needed once the current coat is block sanded with some 330 grit.

Handle bars have been refinished, and I got a new to me subframe from eBay as I found the original one too badly deformed to use. I'd repaired the one obvious broken tube but then I found broken welds.

When viewed from above there was a distinct parallelogramming of the subframe. The left side was about an inch and a half farther ahead of the right side.

On closer inspection I decided the only way to correctly repair it would be to cut the entire thing apart and straighten all the tubes before welding back together. Too much work. No pattern to work from either, so straightening would be hit or miss.

Easier and less time consuming to just buy a new to me one from eBay. The one I have now is actually straight, save for a minor ding in one tube.

Aside from all that, I have a number of things left to order. I've been to look at tires this weekend, and got some 90 degree aluminum valve stems. To my dismay, those did not fit. Tires at my local Cycle Gear were older than I'd like to spend on. At least, the ones I want anyway.

I got new to me switch pods for both sides. The left side though, it needs more attention than I wanted to give it.

It has parts that are not broken on my original but broken parts that I'll have to replace using ones from the original.

In other words, I'll have to make 1 good one from 2 broken ones.

Things are coming along. Not as fast as I'd like but I'm hoping to be done here in a couple of weeks.....sean
keitih89 and Neils400 like this.
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old June 3rd, 2019, 10:43 PM   #49

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Some further progress

To start with, I ordered all new bodywork from Air Tech. Should be here in another week or so. After weighing the stock stuff, I decided to just go with Air Tech rather than repair the old heavy stuff. I suppose, I'll get around to doing that eventually but for now, I prefer that I use the lighter stuff. Really, I think combined, the body weighs well over 10 lbs.

With regard to the mechanicals, I got down to doing the brakes this past weekend. I got the entire hydraulics portion completely apart. Calipers were torn down, split, cleaned in an ultrasonic bath and carefully reassembled with a good (ATE) brake assembly paste. I also got new stainless lines for the clutch and the front brakes.

The master cylinders are going to be a complete pain. Front is apart and has been cleaned but is in need of a complete rebuild. As in, all new parts. Internally there was lots of rust so things are pitted and rusted through....I broke the snap ring holding the plastic retainer and the piston in. It isn't like I tried hard to remove it.

Also took apart the instrument cluster. The speedometer head was filled with dust and broken glass. I had to see what that was all about. Turned out someone had been in there before and one of the studs has been pulled from it's place in the back of the speedo head. After a good clean up I painted the needle orange so it was more visible than the white that it was. It could have been another color at one time but was peeling white when I opened it up.

Here is the cleaned up dial with the newly painted needle

The before shots of the brake master cylinders

Rear brake caliper before cleaning

and after an ultrasoinc bath

My restored turn signal switch:

Pretty much all for now....I'll update again once further progress is sufficient to justify a post.......sean
Neils400 likes this.
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old June 10th, 2019, 07:43 PM   #50

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Sort of an update. Mainly parts arrived for various things. New foot rest rubber came in from Ducati Omaha. Also, a new rubber boot for the rear master cylinder and rubber grommets for the instrument cluster.

Today, a very large box arrived from Air Tech. That means I should be painting in a week or two. Though nothing is going to happen this weekend as I'll be away at the West Coast Ducati meetup.

Not much in the way of work has gotten done. I did commit to getting the engine all done so I spent last weekend on that. I spent all day on Saturday just cleaning up the amount of debris that was deposited on the top of the horizontal cylinder, where it joins the "V" as well as the base of the vertical cylinder which was also packed with debris.

It was so bad, I had to fabricate a narrow "shovel" from an old coping saw blade. I couldn't find anything better to get down between the fins and dig out all the gravel and sand trapped in there. Even found a roll pin, 4mm diameter and 30mm long stuck in the fins of the horizontal head.

As all the fluid had leaked out of the forks, the whole thing was also errrr...well lubricated. Degreasing is in progress for that as well. Once I get it all cleaned up, I'll take care of the valve check and install the new belts. Based on the amount of crap I cleaned off it, it isn't going to be clean enough anytime soon.

I figure it'll take at least another 3 days of scrubbing and degreasing to get it close to clean enough to paint. Noting major, just restoring the silver of the crank case and detail the cylinder head and various covers. More later.........sean
Neils400 likes this.
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old July 28th, 2019, 11:09 AM   #51

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Been a while since I dropped in to update this thread. Was off to Monterey for the SBK weekend at Laguna. Had great time....wish I were still there.

The project has taken a turn and I'll update more on that once those developments pan out....or don't. Ordered a number of parts since the last update too.

Mirrors are stripped and primered (OEM Vitaloni Baby Turbos) ready for paint. New body work arrived, tail is fit but still needs work. (was 108 in my garage yesterday so not much got done) I did finish sanding, priming and painting the new to me front subframe so it is ready for reassembly.

I stalled on the engine clean up/degrease/paint part of the project. Discovered some further damage that I had to repair.

Finished up the front wheel last night. I polished the lip and then sanded and painted the center with gold wheel paint. Supposedly it is of tougher formula and will resist brake fluid and corrosive cleaning chemicals. Still have to clear coat it.

Ordered some titanium rotor bolts for the front rotors. The OEM wheel was bent, curbed and twisted so I found a lighter version from a '99 SS on eBay for a song. It uses different rotor bolts for some reason, as the RSR Moto out of the UK has two different part numbers for the early and late SuperSports.

While I was at it, I ordered a new carbon rear hugger for the project too. RSR Moto carbon looks like such high quality stuff I went with them for that reason alone. Hopefully it/they deliver on the promise of the looks. Just waiting on arrival for that stuff.

Anyone on the forum have experience with RSR Moto products? Are they as good quality as they appear in pictures? I'll update here on my experience with their stuff once I have it in my hands.

Next up, new carbon front fender from RSR Moto, once I see what kind of quality the rear hugger is. Also, new 10mm engine mount bolts from Nichols Sport Bikes. There will be more work done on existing stuff as well but I'll detail all that in my next update........sean
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old July 29th, 2019, 02:42 AM   #52

ducatis in the registry:
[900 SS]
[900 SS]

Rsr

Yep,I've used a fair bit of the ti stuff RSR sells and it's absolutely top notch! I bought some carbon bits off them to which are very nicely made, I would buy from them again and they were really good to deal with.
bikemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2019, 10:18 PM   #53

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemad View Post
I would buy from them again and they were really good to deal with.
I don't even have my stuff yet but I"m already determined to buy the remaining parts I need from them.

They've been spectacular to deal with. I placed my order, there was a slight problem with the rear hugger I ordered.

I not only got an email, I got pics, a video and a phone call regarding the issue and what my options were.

I emailed back a response and got follow up emails...sent well after standard business hours. So absolutely, great to deal with. They'll get my business again, that is certain.....sean
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:56 PM   #54

No ducatis in the registry

Hey Sean... I love the back story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal996 View Post
I don't even have my stuff yet but I"m already determined to buy the remaining parts I need from them.

They've been spectacular to deal with. I placed my order, there was a slight problem with the rear hugger I ordered.

I not only got an email, I got pics, a video and a phone call regarding the issue and what my options were.

I emailed back a response and got follow up emails...sent well after standard business hours. So absolutely, great to deal with. They'll get my business again, that is certain.....sean
Hey Sean, just stumbled across this. Had no idea there was a full on back story on the bike. I mean, you told me most of it in person, but it's fun to go through the diary and see the whole shebang. I'll text you. Cheers.

Scott
NorCal996 likes this.
jbirdsaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 06:03 PM   #55

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Hahaha....SCOTT!! Glad you enjoyed the read...and yeah, I probably told you most of that in person. Well.....at least the story minus the pics. Those tell a more complete story though.

A great deal has transpired since my last update to this thread. Including the acquisition of a new to me engine. It took quite a bit of research to come up with anything definitive (without sending an email to Ducati) but I've determined it to be an engine from a 1996 or 1997 900SS.

It has the oil cooler mounted above the horizontal head which is consistent with either any year Monster from back then, or a 1997 model year SS. The engine number is consistent with a 900SS and the inclusion of a tachometer drive eliminates a Monster as the donor.

Paintwise, if that is all OEM, the right side of the engine indicates a 1996. If the left side is OEM, it's a 1997. By engine number, it is a 1996. Could be that it has a 1997 alternator cover.....or it could be that it was just painted silver.

None of that really, truly matters. Just a need to satisfy my curiosity is all.

What does matter, is what is inside or installed on it. I took that alternator cover off because a) it appeared to be painted sliver and b) because it had gray sealant all around the exterior seam.

Inside I found a Nichols flywheel!!

The head studs didn't look chrome exactly so I checked them with a magnet. It appears, based on the lack of magnetic pull that they are stainless steel. Not sure what that means. I took a look a Nichols head studs and they don't look stainless which leads me to believe they were manufactured by someone else.

Also, a Nichols billet aluminum clutch basket was included in the deal, along with a PSR timing cover. All trick stuff and huge bonus for me...considering how bad the original engine was.

Got through a bunch of stuff on the engine while I await more parts. Belts changed out, valves checked, new breather, oil pressure switch and fill cap installed (all were missing when I took possession of it).

Ordered new plug wires from NGK. New spring keepers from Corse Design. Speedymoto engine mount bolts. Corse Design stainless steel case saver......I think that's it for right now.

Cleaned up the air box and found this in the process:

Looks like baling wire...you know, for baling hay? holding the stainless frame down. The anchor pins were as bad. Looked as though they were fabricated from a coat hanger with a pair of diagonal cutters.

I couldn't take it. I ordered some spring clip hold downs for a Husqvarna chain saw from Amazon for like $6 and fabricated new pins:
old ones above, mine below...and a close up below that

Air filter clips:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed,on the airbox it all looks like this:

All for now really. Got work to do on my 996 and finish tidying up the airbox before my new plug wires arrive..........sean
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo