1995 900 SS Value - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Supersport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2019, 05:52 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1995 900 SS Value

Hi, new to this forum, looking forward to hearing what you guys think about my recently acquired 1995 Ducati Supersport 900 and what it's value may be. My father recently passed away back in November 2018, as I was going through his things, I found this motorcycle stored in a van in his backyard...I have no idea how long he had it, but friends of his estimated it was sitting there for 15 years (+/- a few years), and it only has 7000 miles on it. I brought it to a local shop to look it over, change fluids, replace dry-rotted gas lines, install an new battery and brakes, put it on the road and have been riding it for a few weeks now. It has a custom paint job too, not sure if that effects the value of the bike one way or another. Either way, I'd like to hear what you all think of this bike, it's value, what I should look out for, common problems, etc. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

hands637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 19th, 2019, 05:14 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands637 View Post
Hi, new to this forum, looking forward to hearing what you guys think about my recently acquired 1995 Ducati Supersport 900 and what it's value may be. My father recently passed away back in November 2018, as I was going through his things, I found this motorcycle stored in a van in his backyard...I have no idea how long he had it, but friends of his estimated it was sitting there for 15 years (+/- a few years), and it only has 7000 miles on it. I brought it to a local shop to look it over, change fluids, replace dry-rotted gas lines, install an new battery and brakes, put it on the road and have been riding it for a few weeks now. It has a custom paint job too, not sure if that effects the value of the bike one way or another. Either way, I'd like to hear what you all think of this bike, it's value, what I should look out for, common problems, etc. Thanks in advance.
First thing you should know, if you haven't already found out is the bike pictured is a 900 SS/CR. The CR does not stand for Cafe Racer but rather "Carenatura Regulato" or something along those lines in Italian. It means "regular fairing" in English.

Custom paint is...or rather can be detrimental to the value of the bike. Most potential buyers are looking for originality. Most but not all. Some are looking for that next project and have other ideas for the bike so the paint work is inconsequential to the them.

Location also greatly determines value. Some places you might get around $2K for it. Others more like $2800-$3200 based on what I regularly see on craigslist around here (Bay Area of CA).

Not a great deal to look out for on those. Steel swing arm is less problematic than the aluminum ones which are prone to crack in various places. The frames have been known to crack at or around the steering head. Not all years do so, nor do they crack in the exact same spot.

Carbs tend to gum up from non use, and the emulsion tubes can oval out. Also the tanks have a tendency to rust from the inside out if they're left to sit for too long.

Electrical issues can almost always be traced back to faulty connections and poor grounds. Many have resorted to installing higher capacity battery cables as well as using a relay to power the head light with larger diameter wires connected directly to the battery for power.

For the year of the bike, 7K miles is fairly low. Many Ducatis are weekend only bikes and thus don't accumulate a great deal of mileage. Particularly the old Supersports.

I've seen pristine examples go for right around $3500 around here, maybe more elsewhere. I've also seen old carby bikes like ours go for substantially less, more like $2K but with more miles on them. Thing is, today the old CR is more sought after than it was a few years back. That may affect the price in your area or it may not.

All I got man.....sean
2000 Ducati 996
1996 Kawasaki EX500 basket case
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo

Last edited by NorCal996; June 19th, 2019 at 05:16 PM.
NorCal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal996 View Post
First thing you should know, if you haven't already found out is the bike pictured is a 900 SS/CR. The CR does not stand for Cafe Racer but rather "Carenatura Regulato" or something along those lines in Italian. It means "regular fairing" in English.

Custom paint is...or rather can be detrimental to the value of the bike. Most potential buyers are looking for originality. Most but not all. Some are looking for that next project and have other ideas for the bike so the paint work is inconsequential to the them.

Location also greatly determines value. Some places you might get around $2K for it. Others more like $2800-$3200 based on what I regularly see on craigslist around here (Bay Area of CA).

Not a great deal to look out for on those. Steel swing arm is less problematic than the aluminum ones which are prone to crack in various places. The frames have been known to crack at or around the steering head. Not all years do so, nor do they crack in the exact same spot.

Carbs tend to gum up from non use, and the emulsion tubes can oval out. Also the tanks have a tendency to rust from the inside out if they're left to sit for too long.

Electrical issues can almost always be traced back to faulty connections and poor grounds. Many have resorted to installing higher capacity battery cables as well as using a relay to power the head light with larger diameter wires connected directly to the battery for power.

For the year of the bike, 7K miles is fairly low. Many Ducatis are weekend only bikes and thus don't accumulate a great deal of mileage. Particularly the old Supersports.

I've seen pristine examples go for right around $3500 around here, maybe more elsewhere. I've also seen old carby bikes like ours go for substantially less, more like $2K but with more miles on them. Thing is, today the old CR is more sought after than it was a few years back. That may affect the price in your area or it may not.

All I got man.....sean
Sean, thank you for the reply and helpful information...it's appreciated!
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

No Probs man.....sean
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old June 21st, 2019, 11:18 PM   #5

at some point there was a motor out resto, frame is the wrong colour. Milage would be a little suspect as well.

Odd that it was sitting in a van.. hidden, have you done a DMV check on the title etc? not slightly warm is it?

No-one would accuse their dad of nefarious activities.

Nor cal knows the market so take his word.

if it's all legit, enjoy the bike, they are a prestty nice ride.
The reality of this situation maybe obscured by living room curtains.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 11:19 AM   #6

You’ve not mentioned changing belts which would have been number one on the list after standing so long. Prices are starting to rise here in the UK as guys are looking for the older uncomplicated bikes. Pity it wasn’t this side of the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 05:49 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tric View Post
Prices are starting to rise here in the UK as guys are looking for the older uncomplicated bikes. Pity it wasn’t this side of the pond.
Prices are on the rise here as well. Just not rising at a rapid rate or anything. Same reasons, people looking for older, uncomplicated bikes.

Some, like me, look at them as the bikes they couldn't afford in their 20s and now, having reached a level of financial security can afford to.

Not long ago, maybe 5 or 6 years, you could find a CR for next to nothing. $1500 to $1800 all day. Now, if you find one under $2K its a minger.

Most are going for mid $2ks to high $3Ks around here. I suspect there is a some market area adjustment to consider but I would be seriously surprised of a correction of more than few hundred dollars either up or down.....sean
2000 Ducati 996
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
Old June 24th, 2019, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
at some point there was a motor out resto, frame is the wrong colour. Milage would be a little suspect as well.

Odd that it was sitting in a van.. hidden, have you done a DMV check on the title etc? not slightly warm is it?

No-one would accuse their dad of nefarious activities.

Nor cal knows the market so take his word.

if it's all legit, enjoy the bike, they are a prestty nice ride.
Yes, the frame was painted too, whoever had it before him painted it with metal flake on the frame and body.

It's legal/legit, I had the VIN checked out and it is titled/registered to me now.

If you knew my dad, you wouldn't think it was odd that it was in a van...there was 2 other motorcycles inside the van, along with the Ducati. He was, to put it nicely, a "collector". He left behind a bunch of old cars and parts, tools, motorcycles, etc. I'm having an auction for it all. If anyone is interested, check it out, they do phone bidding as well... https://schultzauctioneers.net/july-13-on-site-auction/

Last edited by hands637; June 24th, 2019 at 08:08 AM.

Tags
1995 ducati 900 ss , 900 ss , 900ss