Newly acquired '97 Ducati 900SS - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Supersport

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NorCal996

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2019, 04:24 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Newly acquired '97 Ducati 900SS

Hi everyone, new member here. Recently I picked up a 1997 Ducati 900SS on trade. The bike needs work, needs turn signals in front, stator is unhooked (and plugs have been cut off), and this is my big issue. I have NO idea where or how the stator wires hook up as I've never had to deal with one before. Can anyone show me how to hardwire in the stator wires? There are 4 loose wires coming out of the rectifier box, 2 yellow and 2 red, and the wires coming from the stator are a black wire and a white wire. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you, here is a pic of the bike.
Attached Images

Pickle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:52 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Love to see another slabbie getting some TLC. The yellow wires from the rectifier connect to the yellow wires coming from the stator. Pretty easy. Just be sure to use quality connectors or solder the wires together.

The two red wires should go to a single red wire that goes to the battery via the starter solenoid. On the 1997 there is a charging circuit fuse between the starter solenoid and the plug to the rectifier.

The black wire goes to ground. The red/black wire goes to the fuse box and the red/white wire goes to the idiot light cluster to tell you that the charging system isn't working.

Hope all that helps. Get a Haynes manual for future use...it will bail you out of all sorts of problems you encounter.......sean

PS, did you pull the skeletal remains of a bike from a creek (the one to the left in your pic)?
Neils400 likes this.
2000 Ducati 996
1996 Kawasaki EX500 basket case
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo

Last edited by NorCal996; September 10th, 2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added PS
NorCal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 03:08 PM   #3

@NORCAL996, Thank you so much, that helps me out a lot. And yes, I have a Haynes manual on the way. Whatever the previous owner did to this bike I'll probably never know as he's deployed overseas and nobody knows when he'll be back. The wires coming from the stator look like part of an extension cord with a black wire and a white wire, I'll post a pic of everything in a few min. There are no plugs on any of the stator wires, just the wires themselves and the red wires are twisted together, the yellow ones are just hanging. As for the starter solenoid, there are 2 wires coming from it that apparently he used to hotwire and start the bike (no, not stolen, clean & clear title in his name).
Old September 11th, 2019, 03:42 PM   #4

Wiring

And the bike to the left of the Ducati was a project 78 Honda Goldwing GL1000. It's got dried mud on it from when the guy dropped it off (I live in the country on a gravel road). Here are the photos of the wiring
Attached Images

Old September 11th, 2019, 09:06 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[996]
[996]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle1 View Post
@NORCAL996, Thank you so much, that helps me out a lot. And yes, I have a Haynes manual on the way. Whatever the previous owner did to this bike I'll probably never know as he's deployed overseas and nobody knows when he'll be back.
Got it. From the close up pics, it doesn't look much loved at all. The alternator cover in the back ground looks like hell. Worse than what I originally got with my project bike.

Quote:
The wires coming from the stator look like part of an extension cord with a black wire and a white wire, I'll post a pic of everything in a few min.
You're going to have to remove that extension, solder some new wire to the stator wires and run them to the dangling yellow wires that go to the rectifier. Pretty sure you'll find it under the front part of the airbox or somewhere up there in that neighborhood. Just connect them. Doesn't really matter which to which.

Quote:
There are no plugs on any of the stator wires, just the wires themselves and the red wires are twisted together, the yellow ones are just hanging. As for the starter solenoid, there are 2 wires coming from it that apparently he used to hotwire and start the bike (no, not stolen, clean & clear title in his name).

So you're gonna have to trace the wires down. Start at the rectifier where you'll find two yellow wires and the rest like I described in my last post. The two red wires are shunted into one at some point in the harness. After that they're supposed to go to a fuse. After that the red wire splits off to the fuse box, then to the battery and then on to the power waiting side of the starter solenoid.

At the starter solenoid you should find a total of 4 wires. The wire I just wrote about is waiting power. There should be another wire that goes to the starter, likely a black wire. There should also be a ground and a red with blue wire that switches the solenoid. The red blue wire comes from the start switch.

If you have a meter, use it to make sure you have continuity between the wires and places I've mentioned. If you don't you'll need to trace each wire down and repair it so that the wires are indeed connected to the correct places.

If you need a meter, they're under $20 at Harbor Freight....and only slightly more at Home Depot. It doesn't matter, just get one that will tell you voltage and continuity.

All I got for now really. Let us know how your fared with tracing the wires down and if you have continuity between all the wires where needed....sean

PS, I did my share of deployments. 10 of them to the AOR alone. I get it.
2000 Ducati 996
1996 Kawasaki EX500 basket case
1993 Ducati 900SS

Suzuki collection
2004 GSXR 600
1992 GSXR 750 oil boiler
1983 XN85 Turbo
NorCal996 is offline   Reply With Quote