Troubleshooting/Clutch pack break in - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Technical

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shazaam!
  • 1 Post By OldMonsterS4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Troubleshooting/Clutch pack break in

I was looking for some friendly advice for my 2002 Monster S4 with a dry clutch.

Ive been troubleshooting loss of power during hard acceleration and I recently installed a new clutch pack from Adige. Installed the new clutch pack and beat it up pretty bad for 45 minutes with constant hard acceleration.

I was testing the bike and it never crossed my mind to break in the clutch pack. Could I have messed something up? Should I sand steel plates or check anything for improper break in?
OldMonsterS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:28 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Not to worry the clutch is fine.
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 10:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam! View Post
Not to worry the clutch is fine.

Woohoo! I got a response . Thank you very much Shazaam for the assurance.

The reason Im asking is because I feel like I found my loss of power issue but its only 80% fixed now. Something is still causing clutch slip. Im worried that I installed junk plates.
Old November 16th, 2019, 06:28 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Clutch slippage is usually caused by plate wear that results in reduced clutch plate stack height that in turn reduces the preload in the clutch springs. A new clutch pack should have a height of about 38 mm, so check that first.

The standard test for detecting worn-out clutch plate friction material (i.e. insufficient stack height) is to watch for slippage when accelerating WOT in top gear.
Old November 17th, 2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Thank you. Yes, I believe I've detected and fixed about 80% of the slipping. It's much better now. I've done a lot of research, measured everything with calipers, checked many components, and finally replaced the clutch pack. I do not believe my problem has to do with the tps or anything else.

My local Ducati dealer recently sold me a spring set that measures 40-41mm spring length. A little longer than OEM. Is it normal to use longer springs like this?
Old November 18th, 2019, 10:15 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

All other things being equal, the longer a spring is, the softer it will be (i.e. it will compress more under the same load).

However, in a Ducati clutch the spring compressed length is fixed by the length of the six bolts – so your new longer springs are compressed more than the shorter, but stiffer, OEM springs.

Without knowing more (spring lengths, coil diameters, wire thickness etc.), I really can't say that your new longer springs will exert more or less force on the clutch plates.

It's possible that the source of slippage is the new springs.
marc99 likes this.
Old November 20th, 2019, 11:53 PM   #7

Thank you. Good advice Shazaam. Unfortunately, I was dealing with this issue before I put new springs. I'm experimenting with a few different things right now so hopefully I'll learn more. I'll let you know what I find.
Old November 21st, 2019, 09:22 AM   #8

I had an issue with a clutch pack I bought they had put some kind of oil or grease on the metal drive plates and I apparently did not clean them off enough. I took it all apart and started over and really cleaned them with solvent and lots of hot soapy water. Problem solved.
capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo View Post
I had an issue with a clutch pack I bought they had put some kind of oil or grease on the metal drive plates and I apparently did not clean them off enough. I took it all apart and started over and really cleaned them with solvent and lots of hot soapy water. Problem solved.

Interesting. I usually clean everything with brake cleaner but you would think a tiny bit of oil residue would never hurt anything. Ill have to remember that one. Thank you.
Old November 24th, 2019, 10:25 PM   #10

Ive learned a few interesting things lately and I would like to share them. Might be pretty basic for some of you but Im a little surprised at how complicated everything turned out.

After testing and careful inspection I was not happy with the aftermarket clutch pack. I decided to experiment with the old OEM clutch plates. The friction plate tangs were kind of mushroomed so I filed them down and sanded the steel plates with sandpaper. Everything was well within spec and worked perfectly. Bike is back to normal for now. Another interesting thing that happened was my hard to find neutral problem was fixed as soon as I put new clutch springs. Ive never heard or read anything online about springs causing hard to find neutral. And last, the clutch fluid now seems to stay clear a lot longer.
Thats it for now. Ill post if anything changes.
Neils400 likes this.