Ebay front rotors - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Technical

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Shazaam!
  • 1 Post By Shazaam!
  • 1 Post By Shazaam!
  • 1 Post By Tchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2020, 04:27 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Ebay front rotors

Hi all, My front rotors on my Streetfighter are starting to get a fair bit of play(forward and back) so looking at replacing. I can get a set of Brembo rotors for $600 so not too bad but I see there are some cheapies on Ebay for $220-280. Are these any good? Anyone had any experience?

Cheers,
Leroy

Last edited by Leroy; February 5th, 2020 at 05:26 AM.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 5th, 2020, 08:23 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

The problem is that you really don't know what material quality you're getting when you buy no-name Chinese-manufactured rotors on eBay.

Your concern should be that you're trading cost savings off against your own personal safety. There are better places to save money.

In particular, a certain number of motorbike disc brakes, made of stainless steel, reportedly have shown the presence of small cracks only after a few thousands miles. These cracks were mainly located nearby the holes placed on the disc to ventilate and refresh the brake pads.

The deterioration can be led back to thermal cyclic strain (related with the heating—cooling cycles developed during the brake action) superimposed to the mechanical strain caused by braking torque.

The short lifespan of such discs has been ascribed to the rapid deterioration of the mechanical properties of the rotor material.
Svensken and Leroy like this.
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2020, 03:26 AM   #3

so what else is out there apart from Brembo and EBC?
Old February 6th, 2020, 08:40 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
so what else is out there apart from Brembo and EBC?
My first choice would be BrakeTech AXIS ductile iron rotors. At 3.0 lb. each, they offer weight savings over most stock rotors and the rotor material offers better heat dissipation and a higher coefficient of friction than stainless steel rotors.

So you get better handling from the weight savings and better stopping power (especially from high speeds) and better lever feel from the iron material.

They should be used with Ferodo CP911* , EBC HH pads or similar performance brake pads (but not with sintered pads).
Svensken likes this.
Old February 7th, 2020, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam! View Post
My first choice would be BrakeTech AXIS ductile iron rotors. At 3.0 lb. each, they offer weight savings over most stock rotors and the rotor material offers better heat dissipation and a higher coefficient of friction than stainless steel rotors.

So you get better handling from the weight savings and better stopping power (especially from high speeds) and better lever feel from the iron material.

They should be used with Ferodo CP911* , EBC HH pads or similar performance brake pads (but not with sintered pads).
Why not sintered pads? What's the difference?
Old February 7th, 2020, 02:39 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

According to Brembo:

"Generally speaking, most semi-metalllic brake pads are good for use on iron rotors. Particularly those recommended by the manufacturer for such use. Ferodo CP911, CP901, 4004F, 3485F, 3410F and I/D450 are all good for this.

Although the various sintered metal pads will perform quite well, the result is usually shortened life span of the rotor and as such, are not recommended.
"

Personal note: You CAN use sintered pads (including the incredible Ferodo XR racing pad) on the BrakeTech iron rotors, but I think you'll find it is simply too much power. Part of better brakes is the feel at the lever that allows you to modulate your braking. Even though you can accommodate your riding style to it, initial bite with aggressive braking power on the street especially in wet conditions isn't always desirable.
DrgnRcr likes this.
Old February 8th, 2020, 02:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam! View Post
According to Brembo:

"Generally speaking, most semi-metalllic brake pads are good for use on iron rotors. Particularly those recommended by the manufacturer for such use. Ferodo CP911, CP901, 4004F, 3485F, 3410F and I/D450 are all good for this.

Although the various sintered metal pads will perform quite well, the result is usually shortened life span of the rotor and as such, are not recommended.
"

Personal note: You CAN use sintered pads (including the incredible Ferodo XR racing pad) on the BrakeTech iron rotors, but I think you'll find it is simply too much power. Part of better brakes is the feel at the lever that allows you to modulate your braking. Even though you can accommodate your riding style to it, initial bite with aggressive braking power on the street especially in wet conditions isn't always desirable.
Appreciate your time and comments.

Cheers,
Leroy
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:11 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Arashi rotors might be worth a try... They would be the only Chinese rotors that I would stick on my bike. I've known some Honda guys that had good luck with them.

Braketech ductile rotors are pricey but really high quality. If I was racing the Duc, that is what I'd go with.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Court Jester

I run the Braketech Iron rotors on my track 848 I have mixed feelings on the feel under heavy braking.
cbr6 likes this.