1098 normal operating temp - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2020, 03:28 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

1098 normal operating temp

Can anyone help pls

Not sure if I need a new thermostat.

What should the bike temp be when riding at a legal highway speed in say 18-22c ambient temp?

Mine drops right down to 40-55 or thereabouts but I thght these engines had to run at just under or just over 100c? So a correct operating thermostat in a car would keep it up where it needs to be yeah? Well dont think mine is unless there is something I'm not aware of.

any info is appreciated thx
Marsgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:02 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

The Ducati cooling system is designed to keep the engine coolant temperature at 80C when you're moving at speed on a 30C day.

Duane Mitchell reported that he ran a series of tests to establish optimum running temp for a race bike and found that 85C is perfect. Over that, they lose horsepower fairly quickly (down about 15 hp at 100C) and below that the same (down about 6 hp at 65C).

These numbers have been confirmed by heating the thermostat in water and checking temps:

Thermostat begins to open - 150 degrees
Fully open - 170 degrees
Starts to close - 160 degrees
Fully closed - 142 degrees
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 09:24 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I would check the coolant temp sensor first. BTW, the t-stats are a solid unit in plastic and need to be replaced before they crack and leak. Same with the coolant hose connections on the barrels. The coolant attacks the plastic and after a while it weakens.

Coolant temp. Can be a bit deceiving on these bikes. It is reading the coolant on the way in - not on the way out.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2020, 05:47 AM   #4

Ah - coolant in temp makes more sense.

Thanks for the info. The hoses and cooling system look ok as just had all the covers off. Done just over 23,000km
Old May 16th, 2020, 02:04 AM   #5

Quick update - replaced the VR and battery and now coolant is sitting at happy and constant 65c at highway speed. Ambient temp at moment is around 12c so if the sensor is on the outlet of the radiator then that sounds about right with 85c engine temp. Amazing what a difference a proper functioning electrical system makes - dah.