Ducati.org forum banner

Need some info on wheel bearings 848

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pat1098 
#1 ·
I'm entertaining the idea of changing my wheel bearings on my upcoming tire change. Now the front seems pretty much cut and dry, i'm lost on the rear however.

So if anyone has any experience and info on the rear wheel bearings and replacing or servicing them lay it down here.

My main questions on this subject are:
Where are the rear wheel bearings? Are they in the eccentric hub?

My service manuals does not recommend overhauling the eccentric hub. Is it really that risky,whats in there?

What kind of bearings are used for the rear? Are they readily available from some of the bearing suppliers? I.E. World wide bearings, etc..

Got part numbers? Yes i want them.
thanks for the help in advance guys

#3 ·
Spotted this, so can save you the PM.
I can provide the part numbers for the rear wheel bearings - more axle bearings than wheel bearings really - as yes, they are in the eccentric housing.
And no - it's not terribly complicated in there if you know what you're doing with bearings and a press. I'm not sure why the factory make such a mystery out of it. Someone must have f*cked one up completely at some point..
But one of the (two) bearings is almost unobtainable! It is an unusual bearing with one outer race and two inner races. Its SKF part number is BAH-0175.
But they only sell them in batches of 25, and each one is pretty dear! Like well over $100 from memory.
Fortunately my bearing guy put in a bit of time, and found someone in the UK who must have bought the 25, and was selling them individually. But I don't have that guy's details.
The other bearing is more straightforward. A conventional needle-roller bearing. Its part number is RNA 4910.
The front wheel bearings are like most bikes. Just make sure you get the wheel pretty warm before attempting to remove them, or refit the new ones. I put the new ones in the freezer for a bit, but they are still tight.
Having said all that - I only replaced the rears because I was fitting a new (RAM) swing-arm and eccentric housing, and didn't care to put used bearings into it.
But my front ones are still fine at 70,000 kms. Unless they've been pressure-washed or something silly they should last pretty well. It's not like putting wheel bearings in an old second-hand car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.