Ducati.org forum banner

First track day 2018

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Shrek 
#1 ·
Ok I finally have at least one day :) July 14th at pacific raceways in Kent, WA.

Anyone else going?

Going to be shaking down the winter project track bike, I'm thinking about bringing my street one for a back up LOL.

T

Reactions: WERA689
#4 ·
I'll be there! What time are you planning to get there. We can try and pit close by if you like. At least we can swap Ducati stories. I'm driving a light blue Volvo XC60 with a Grey and Red enclosed trailer I'm gonna try to get there around 6:30. Feel free to track me down if you like!

#5 ·
We will be there early as well. I just got the bike loaded after finally buttoning it up and a test ride :) I hope it holds together LOL.

We will be in a white chevy truck with trailer and two pop ups I will look for you!

#6 ·
Nothing spectacular...
Considering I built the bike from scratch I wasn't 100% cofident going 140+ down the straights LOL

Spent most the day feeling out the bike working on the GP shift pattern and QS, you can hear me mis-shift.

I'm not sure about the GP shift yes once I figured out to just be firm its cool but the cost of losing the leverage to down shift got me in trouble at one point I got a false neutral and it caused me to go off track.. I haven't given up, but I need my slipper clutch back.

Raider nice see you out there sorry I didn't' come find you I was stuck with the instructor most the day and he was on a slow bike :(

Anyways here is one lap, my best was 1:48 I think the track record is 1:24 but I wasn't pushing and I'm certainly out of shape. The Ducshop built engine is worth every penny.

#7 ·
Looks like some major elevation changes on that track!

I finally got out last weekend for my first 2018 track day. It had been 9 months since I last rode.

I completed a variety of maintenance items on my bike over the 'off-season,' and I can relate to 'feeling' things out for the first session or two--even more so for a complete build like yours, I suppose. I had a bunch of mis-shifts, too, probably a lazy foot after so much time not riding in my case.

#11 ·
That's a shame about the cush-drive 'rubbers'. I had trouble with some (different make) inserts riding out like yours appear to have done. In my case there wasn't a retaining ridge on the sleeve around the cushioning bushes to prevent it.
I seem to remember sending mine back and getting replacements, but I'm afraid the detail is a bit vague after the intervening years. Or maybe the adhesion between the outer sleeve and the soft bushes let go - I can't remember clearly.
I hope you get yours sorted without too much hassle. Nice to hear the twin purring again anyway T. Sounds pretty sweet.
Not sure if the GP shift pattern is going to suit you. I find it a nuisance when you have to react instantly/reflexedly, and you have to think first. Not always time for this at the racetrack...

#13 · (Edited)
I should give the back ground on this and context.

So I built this bike from scratch lots of parts off Ebay and this forum. The quick change carrier in the picture came with the swing arm so I don't know much about it.

I purchased a new Driven sprocket front, back, RK chain, AEM Hub, and the Superlite cushdrives. Everything went together well and I compared the clearance with my street version, both the track and the stree are the exact same set up except the carrier.

Here is what I know;
My street version has an AEM hub, Driven carrier, superlite cushdrives, with a driven sprocket. I've never had an issue.

The track bike with the failed cush drives pictured are installed in a carrier that I don't know much about. They were purchased from motowheels and I do remember them looking crappy, frayed and hard.

Take a look at the new driven carrier I will be using, notice the 1/4 moon shield that keeps the cushdrive in? The carrier I had doesn't, but I don't think the OEM does either...?

T--did you find the cush drive problem during a routine inspection or could you hear or feel something wasn't right? I haven't looked at mine in a while, I might take a look now!

Pat--it's been a long time since I've bumped in to you here, how is retirement going?

Regarding GP shift, I have stated for the past several years that 'I'm going to try it,' but when it comes time to make the change I shy away. Each of the two tracks that I consider my home tracks have at least one left-hander (last turn onto the front straight at Mid Ohio and Turn 4 at Nelson Ledges) that I would benefit greatly with GP shift. I might just go ahead and try; if I 'flub' it up too much I can always go back to standard shift...
3rd session I noticed red strands on my rear wheel. I never felt anything I checked clearance could not see a problem at the track I did 3 more sessions :wtf:

Yeah the GP shift, doesn't sit well for setting up for a turn. I want to slam it down not have to pull up when coming into a corner....

Bonus pick on this track day :)

Attachments

#14 ·
T make sure you change both bikes to gp shift .. if you keep trying to confuse yourself it will end in tears..

Gp shift can take a good weekend riding to settle. I changed my bike purely coz it was easy and I could. Changed it 6 months after I got it.. 2002..

Now when I go to take out The Boss’ monster I have to ask her up or down.. it’s just habit to snick up for first.. only issue these days is fast flat change for 2nd.. bugger that up a few times ..

Reactions: Tchase
#15 · (Edited)
It’s a good point Shrek, I forgot to mention on the track bike I also have QS. On this stay I finally got comfortable with it I just had to be firm. To your point I think QS and GP go well together I can be firm when going down in higher gears.

Also I was too lazy to pull the slipper out of the street and put in the track. This winter I will buy another slipper so both have it.

I still feel for tracks like this coming into the turn my body position is better suited to push down for lower gears. The QS and GP does help me in the straights for sure. Oddly enough that’s the criticism I get at the track I’m rarely wot andtoo early on the brakes.

#16 · (Edited)
Did I read on the qs for sale thread they can be programmed or assist as required?
You can say only on the ups or downs or combinations??

I think it was a little odd that the slipper is in the roadie yet not the track bike.. figured that would have been number one.

I have a slipper in my bike (but I don’t track) on last clutch change. It’s been a while but early on in gp shift I had gone for the 2nd - 3rd shift and snicked the wrong way. That’s exciting as the back locks up and squirrels for a second or two.

I’d be getting it changed for fear of more X-ray images. Probably why I don’t track.. ha ha .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.