Wearing what looks like a groove in the tire on the track... - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Speed > On the Track

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Neils400
  • 1 Post By cbr6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2019, 10:52 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Wearing what looks like a groove in the tire on the track...

Not sure if this should be in maintenance or performance but I figured, if anyone responds, it would be someone who has more experience with track wear.

Not seeing anything that screams hot or cold tears, no inconsistent patterns that make me think the suspension is well off. Just this, Power RS with what looks like a groove forming. Confirmed nothing on the bike is rubbing, not even close. Obviously SSA so alignment is good and the only mod back there is the ShiftTech hugger, which has plenty of room, enough for a warmer, and WILL NOT go down with considerable force, so its not getting sucked into the tire. Plus there is a sticker on the underside where the groove likely would be hitting and its still there.

96 degree, blistering sun day at Talladega GP (Little Tally, all fast left turns). Cold 32 front 28 rear. Intermediate level rider, TC started at 2 and dropped to 1 because it was always intervening on exit.

I dont think the grey patch means anything other than a hot tire being wiggled over shitty tarmac to get it on the Bursig.

Is it as simple as that is the shoulder to the softer compound and the soft stuff getting its ass beat in the heat?

Last edited by ryan stewart; August 14th, 2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Fixing pictures
ryan stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Court Jester

Pic is not showing, can you attach via your post?
Old August 14th, 2019, 02:06 PM   #3

Ok reloaded, forget google treats all pictures like dick pics until I put them in an album.
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:34 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I don't have any experience with Michelin on the track, but that is the area of the tire that typically shows the most wear in fast corners. In this case it is pretty serious (the tire looks done to me) and pulled the rubber from the area. 28 psi cold might have been too high since it would grow like crazy when hot. Instead of flattening out, the tire would end up with a skinny patch that would overheat in a narrow band. Street tires operate best at around 150f as opposed to track tires at 175f. It might have simply been too hot for the street tire?
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Court Jester

The only time I've had a grove like that is when my gopro mount slipped. This pic would be a good one to post up on Dave Moss's face book page. If anybody knows he does! https://www.facebook.com/davemosstuning/
Old August 16th, 2019, 04:20 AM   #6

Might do that, also reached out to Michelin. Talked to a few guys who have run them though and they said its happened on each set of theirs but they didnt notice a change in traction. They think its just the odd way the tire wears.

Def not anything rubbing, nothing there to rub on it.
Old August 20th, 2019, 01:33 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

The Power RS tyre has very distinctive compounds for the edges. The line is where the two different compounds join.

https://www.ducati.org/forums/ducati...re-talk-2.html

If you scroll down to mine you can make out the line where the different compounds join.

If you run your bike at slower pace does the line fade away or is it more of a groove?

If it's a groove then the tyre could be faulty.

Neil
Tchase likes this.
Rizoma Spy R mirrors
Project SC Conic exhaust
Rizoma Pro pegs
Evotech frame sliders
was: Rizoma MA015B Drag bars & Risers
now: Renthal Superbike bars
Racing stoplocks
R&G fork sliders
Previous bikes:
'03 Suzuki GSXR600K2
'96 Honda RVF400
'00 Suzuki GSXR600Y
'96 Ducati Monster M900S
'88 Honda CBR400 Aero
Neils400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 04:59 AM   #8

Its only done this for this track day. Which to be fair I was really banging on it, a left handed track, and it was hot as hell. Heat index of 107. I think this is just happens when you push the tire. Some people have suggested a lower pressure, which seems odd since Im not getting cold tearing.

My first track day at same track (tons of left handed turns, a little cooler and I was obviously running a bit slower.

Ill add my pics to that general thread.
Old August 21st, 2019, 05:03 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

you could talk to a Michelin race tire dealer and relay what your seeing, I found Michelin HQ in South Carolina to be very helpful when I was racing but that was in the '90s
Tchase likes this.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:53 AM   #10

Ran into a similar issue with the Pilot Power street tires showing what looked like a crack that came and went in different depths but always remained. Was pretty concerning seeing this line/crack just off center on mostly the front tire but was also on the rear - both off center.

Called Michelin numerous times, pics, replacement tires, etc.. I FINALLY talked to the only person that seemed to know what was going on. Nothing wrong with the tire - it is/was a Carbon Strip they embed into the tire for static dispersion - sensitive electronics on bikes these days.

While the pics you show are more severe than what I experienced in width, it does look similar, but given the extremes of track use it would make sense it would look like it does. As the tire wears it would at times look like it was fading but the harder and hotter the tire got depending on how hard you rode it would look like it was getting worse. I would say that is whats going on here.
yellow blur is offline   Reply With Quote