Ducati.org forum banner

Css @ vir

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Misti 
#1 · (Edited)
As is typical with California Superbike School, I've read nothing but great things about the course. I'm currently planning to do their course at VIR in August, however I have a few questions for anyone who's in the know about how they operate.

Q1 - What do you get additionally doing the 2-day camp that is not covered in the single day? I know the bike rental and leathers are included, but the price is still more than $1000 more than if you did two individual one-day events with bike & leather rental. What's the upside?

Q2 - If I chose to do the 2-day camp, would I be allowed to use my own bike? If so, would they reduce the price because of this?

Q3 - Are you required to start at Level 1 and work your way up?

(I know a lot of these questions are vaguely answered on the website, but I just want some clarification before sinking that kind of money into a single track weekend.)

#2 ·
personally I had bad experience with cornerspeed several years ago doing track days. But I think its better now. The track days ran well, but after doing a couple of years of track days with them and no longer having a wera race license Aaron wanted myself and some friends to take their school at $400 or we couldn't do anymore days. Work with Scott Carpenter if possible he's a great guy and awesome rider. Call CSS and they should be able to answer all your question.

#4 ·
Awesome, I'll keep Scott in mind!

I did the 2-day California Superbike School at VIR last August and it was a GREAT couple days at the track - worth the money in my opinion. I am looking to do it again in August at VIR or in November in Las Vegas (or maybe both).

1) The 2-day camp offers a 2:1 student to coach ratio and more riding time (7 or 8 riding sessions a day). Additionally you get to try the Lean-Bike and Camera-Bike maybe the Slide-Bike and Panic-Brake Bike, lap times and breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

2) No, you have to use their bike for the 2-day camp.

3) Yes, everyone begins with Level 1.

Thank you! Hopefully I'll see you at VIR.

#3 ·
I did the 2-day California Superbike School at VIR last August and it was a GREAT couple days at the track - worth the money in my opinion. I am looking to do it again in August at VIR or in November in Las Vegas (or maybe both).

1) The 2-day camp offers a 2:1 student to coach ratio and more riding time (7 or 8 riding sessions a day). Additionally you get to try the Lean-Bike and Camera-Bike maybe the Slide-Bike and Panic-Brake Bike, lap times and breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

2) No, you have to use their bike for the 2-day camp.

3) Yes, everyone begins with Level 1.

#6 ·
Several other schools often go out to VIR , But the primary school from this track is Cornerspeed run by a legendary instructor is Aaron Stevenson and his Cadre who run there just about every week.
Great school and if it's your first time you'll be doing both the classroom and track time education which is pretty thorough , especially when broken into groups where your control rider works with each student pushing them every time you go out.

If it's your 2nd or more time with them they allow you to go out in the other groups who ride on their own pace and even a racer group that is usually out running practice for an upcoming race there at VIR.

AAron runs a good school but be prepared because he's pretty tough on bike tech and whatever passing rules your group has been informed about. I knew Aaron for years and when I just returned from a year in Iraq with the Marines he was kind enough to waive my practice fee for making it out of there- BUT I almost got myself DQ'D from the weekend due to my helmet being one month over the 5 year shelf life which he was very strict about! Make sure your gear is top notch and up to date w them! (He finally allowed me to sign ANOTHER waiver on the helmet and permitted me on to ride) ugh.

Best part of VIR is VIR! The garages are pristine and we'll worth every penny to rent, especially if you're with a group. And even better are the hotel suites directly above the garages which are VERY nice rooms and much better to stay there at the track instead of trying to find something out in the big city of Danville (lmfao) so definitely stay at the track among all the others n experience the aura of what it's like to ride and hang w all the other great people at Virginia International Raceway!

Oohrah

#13 ·
Hi there, I'm a coach with the school so I'll do my best to answer :) Feel free to ask any more questions if you should have them.

Two day camp: Available on the school bikes only and we have the BMW S1000's During a two day camp you get 5 classroom sessions and 7 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 2:1 and during every riding session you will be followed and lead on track by your coach and then debriefed afterwards. There are less students overall at a two day camp which means that you will be on track with less than 15 students + coaches at a time. Format of the day is classroom, ride, classroom, ride etc.

Also, during a two day camp, all the off track training bikes (Lean/slide bike, brake bike and the No BS bike for the steering drill) are available for use depending on the track and weather conditions. You will also get to ride the camera bike once per day, have your video reviewed by a qualified coach and receive a DVD of both your camera bike riding sessions at the end of the school. Lunch, snacks, tea, coffee lunch, and water are all provided.

Single Day School: You can use one of the school bikes or bring your own bike. There are 5 classroom sessions and 5 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 3:1 and same as the camp you are lead and followed by your coach each session out and then debriefed after. Format for the day is Classroom, ride, break, classroom, ride, break.

At a single school depending on the level you are taking you can do one of the off track bikes. Level one is the steering drill (No BS bike), level 2 the Lean Bike, level three gets a video review session and level four can ride the slide bike. There is no camera bike available in a single day school. There are more students total during a single day so you are on track with more riders at a time, no more than 22 I think at a time.

Another thing to clarify is about the rental of school bikes. You put a deposit down when you ride a school bike (the office can tell you the exact amount) and if you crash the bike they assess the damage and you pay for only what is damaged. So you could crash and pay 100 bucks or you could wad the bike and pay only the max deposit ($1250- I believe). I always suggest that riding a school bike is a good way to do it, you don't have to worry about tires, gas or repairs, you just show up and ride. So, even though BYOB sounds cheaper when you factor in the tires, transportation costs of getting your bike there, gas and the hassle, it often ends up being the same price as renting a bike from us.

I hope that answers your questions! thanks :)

#17 ·
Hey Misti, I did Level 1 & 2 like 8 or 9 years ago. Planning on doing CSS @ Las Vegas in early April. I'm thinking of doing Level 2 again and then Level 3. I've got many track days and have been racing LRRS since my original CSS. But thinking I need a refresh at L2 before the next level. What do you think???

#18 ·
Hi! We have lots of students that refresh by going over a level that they've already completed. Level 2 is amazing as it's all about visual skills which are so paramount to riding so there wouldn't be any harm in re-doing level 2. It would be a great place to start. Level 3 is more about the relationship between bike and rider, getting stable on the bike, how to move around and get across the bike in transitions. And level 4 is completely customized to what YOU need to learn. I think it will depend on how comfortable you feel with what you learned 8-9 years ago (if you remember it at all ;) ) and where you would like to start...

Level 2 and visuals are always great to refresh and often what we begin with in level 4. Your choice :)

I may be coaching Vegas in April...If I'm there please come by and introduce yourself and let me know if you have any more questions. :dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.