Ducati.org forum banner

BrakeTech Rotors and Ferodo pads

9K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  Tchase 
#1 · (Edited)
So I followed the directions to a T. I noticed under heavy braking they are a bit ..... aggressive? Not shimming more like biting, it was a little unsettling.

Is this normal? Also I have lost the high pitched noise I would usually get under heavy braking I kind of miss that...

Reactions: Tric
#15 · (Edited)
On EBC site for the 848 (EVO) they show 3 types.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/motorcycle/ducati/848-evo-monobloc-front-calipers/2010-2013/32289

EBC Brakes® GPFAX Sintered Race Brake Pads
Part No GPFAX447HH
RACE USE ONLY
Highest known friction level
NOT TÜV tested or ECE R 90 street legal
Lifetime performance guarantee
A RACE ONLY pad blend that out-performs and out-grips anything out there or your money back. These pads have the highest know friction between 0.6 and 0.7 delivering amazing brake effect that makes them unsuitable for road tyres and street use. Guaranteed ZERO brake fade but with perfect heat stability and repeat heat cycling. These pads will endure numerous races and instil confidence.

EBC Brakes® EPFA Extreme Pro Sintered Pads
Part No EPFA447HH

Superbike, street and trackday pad
TÜV and ECE R 90 approved
Ultra high brake effect and lifetime
Perfect braking wet or dry
If a small price premium over the Double-H™ pad is within your budget, the EPFA is a superb choice. With all the attributes of the Double-H™ range these pads feature extra ingredients and vacuum furnace technology that enhances friction levels, stability and feel. Suitable for ride to - ride away trackday type use. These pads are also TÜV tested and ECE R 90 approved. Another benefit is the totally silent braking ability.

EBC Brakes® Double-H™ Sintered Pads
Part No FA447HH

Fast street and superbike pad
TÜV and ECE R 90 approved
Ultra high brake effect and lifetime
Perfect braking wet or dry
The EBC flagship sintered streetsport pad that delivers highest braking power, stability and long life. Ultra high HH rated friction TÜV tested and ECE R 90 brake safety approved, there are few pads on the market to meet or beat the performance of Double-H™ pads. Made in the EBC state-of-the-art sintering plant in Ohio, USA, these pads stop fast - wet or dry - and last for thousands of miles.

Most manufacturers build bikes using sintered metal pads and these are direct replacements for that technology with several differences. First the refined compounds researched and used exclusively EBC are second to none in terms of quality of materials and workmanship. Secondly almost all EBC Double-H™ sintered pads use EBC design perforated stainless steel heat and noise shields on the reverse side, k

I have only ever used the FA447HH and never had a complaint always had confidence in my braking. When I bought the braketech rotors the Ferodo were recommended so I thought I'd try..

So it looks like EBC offers 3 types...
Track only
Street/Track
Street

I think I'll try the Street/Track (EPFA447HH) first thats one up from what I was using.

I'm still not completely understanding the "Sintered" and the Double H.

I did come across this which explain the high pitch sound I use to get, and I like as it's another indicator of how hard I'm braking.

How do sintered brake pads differ from standard? | MCN

#20 ·
I have not used this pad/rotor combo, so I cannot speak to it, but just wanted to throw something different out there. And this is not meant to insult or anything, but the more aggressive the pads (i.e. race style pads) the more you need to be smooth on the brakes. Its not uncommon for especially a novice racer to panic and stab the brake lever and launch themselves over the handle bars (I haven't launched myself but definitely had an oh shit moment when the rear gets up and starts coming around). I try my best to follow what Ken Hill preaches, with less brakes for longer and first and last 5% stuff.

And on a side note I have the GPFAX pads with stock rotors and I love them.

#21 · (Edited)
I have not used this pad/rotor combo, so I cannot speak to it, but just wanted to throw something different out there. And this is not meant to insult or anything, but the more aggressive the pads (i.e. race style pads) the more you need to be smooth on the brakes. Its not uncommon for especially a novice racer to panic and stab the brake lever and launch themselves over the handle bars (I haven't launched myself but definitely had an oh shit moment when the rear gets up and starts coming around). I try my best to follow what Ken Hill preaches, with less brakes for longer and first and last 5% stuff.

And on a side note I have the GPFAX pads with stock rotors and I love them.

No offense taken, I'm not newbie but I'm not expert. The problem I was having is when getting down to that last 25% pull i.e. From slowly "smoothly" pulling the lever in that last portion was unsettling. I wasn't "grabbing brake" and thinking oh shit. As I would come into the braking cones as I always have everything is fine but as I reach that last bit of pull it feels almost like a shimming of the rotors as in warped. But it wasn't doing that in any other application, in fact at one point I think I had my first experience of "brake fade", not sure but I felt for a split second I was at max braking then nothing.

Not arguing and I really do appreciate the feed back. I've got the new pads ordered I'll report back.

#26 ·
After this entire cluster F
http://www.ducati.org/forums/technical/99754-wtf.html#post1106314

I'm going to use the Ferodo pads for now. I'm talking with EBC they are investigating the issues (on the other thread).

Shout out to Svensken for having me check into the Axis Iron Ductile rotors I didn't know about the not using Sintered pads on them. Although Ferodo says theirs are compatible they will just wear the rotors faster.

So maybe my problem isn't the brand its the fact the Ferodo I have are organic vs sintered..

#32 ·
Yeah the Axis are the iron, the Cobra are the stainless. Any Parts Unlimited dealer can get them in for you, or I'm sure there's some floating about on the interweb stores.

SBS part no. you'll need is: 841DC
Thanks Motomummy has them.

FYI I just got this from Braketech..

Thank you for the inquiry Tyler

If your prefer the performance parameters of the carbon (organic) race pads, then would recommend trying the new Ferodo CPro carbon/ceramic pads. Though any of the premium offerings such as the SBS Dual-Carbon or PFC carbon/metallic are good to go.
We do not recommend sintered metal pads such as those from EBC for use on iron.

Reactions: WERA689
#31 ·
I had ferodo with my iron rotors if I recall correctly View attachment 144137
Yah Braketech says Ferodo is good to go with the Axis but they don't list any other compatible pads.

On the other hand they imply that sintered pads are not a issue with their ductile Iron.

#33 ·
And just got this back from EBC...
Hi Tyler,
Here is the response from the sintered factory:

We have not tested the EPFA material directly on this type of rotor. However, similar materials have worked well with cast-iron rotors. We don't think there was any reason why the material won't work on this type of rotor. Noise may be an issue.

Kind regards
Robert Keller

#36 ·
These did not arrive in time for my track day last Sunday. I bedded the Ferodo pads again and I'm still not likening the feel. I don't know if I'll have another chance this year at the track to try the SBS. I might have to wait until next year 😐

#38 ·
Hey mate, this is what ive been using for a few years now. Highly recommend, can I give my description .
They need a cleaned rotor to lay down a film of carbon onto the disc when you first install these
They will take a lap or 2 to bed in.
They need heat to work , so be careful 1st corner every session.
The hotter they are the more power you get.
They dont have much initial bite but get stronger as you pull where they surpass double sintered pads.
The best part is how they release coming off the brakes , like when your finishing trail braking
They wear really well and dont groove /wear the rotors.

#39 ·
I'm using the EBC HH right now on stock rotors and stock lines and the brake performance is okay but not spectacular. I do have issues sometimes in longer brake zones as I release the brake it feels a touch grabby. As soon as the budget allows I plan on braided lines and the next level pad. I just purchased a Ducati Corse link and DU362 shock so that blew the budget for a while!

#41 ·
So I’m bumping an old thread because I’m 99.99 percent I figured it out. Bad front bearings, I was when I put these new rotors and pads I also switched to my older rims...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.