Not to sure about the year... - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Vintage

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Not to sure about the year...

I know the bike itself is a Ducati cadet 100 but i'm not to sure about what year it might be i figure around 75-76 cause i was told it was somewhere from that time and it only has 400k...can anyone help i can't find any info on this bike
Attached Images

NewbieDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[848]

looks nice I would google the ducati lineage and you may get more info.
moviefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3

whats the lineage the serial number?
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[848]

No bro the model history... If you have the vin google that, the vin will tell you the year.
moviefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

A very rare bike indeed you have there NewbieDucati.

The Cadet, as far as I can gather, is a 98cc 2 stroke 3 speed with the gear change in the left hand grip. I think it evolved from the 47.6cc 'Brio' 2 stroke which produced 0.98 bhp @ 4,600 rpm and the 'Brisk' scooter. The 'Brio' was introduced in 1963. These bikes were a failed attemp into the scooter market and although had moderate sales succes in Italy they never sold abroad into the British or US markets.

In the persistance they doubled the capcity to 98cc in 1965 and that motor was put into the Brio (scooter) and the Cadet (roadster) with a reported 6 bhp @ 5,200 rpm. So this bike here is more than likely a 1965 model. Because of slow sales they were still available up until 1968.

They never sold and just backed up in the factory. A rival British importer to a Mr Vic Camp, Bill Hannah apparently imported hundreds into Britian where they never sold very well either.

Source: 'Ducati Motorcyles' Alan Cathcart (1983) Osprey Publishing Limited.

Also see http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/sho...ghlight=shroud
Neils400 likes this.

Last edited by brettc63; June 11th, 2009 at 03:44 AM.
brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettc63 View Post
A very rare bike indeed you have there NewbieDucati.

The Cadet, as far as I can gather, is a 98cc 2 stroke 3 speed with the gear change in the left hand grip. I think it evolved from the 47.6cc 'Brio' 2 stroke which produced 0.98 bhp @ 4,600 rpm and the 'Brisk' scooter. The 'Brio' was introduced in 1963. These bikes were a failed attemp into the scooter market and although had moderate sales succes in Italy they never sold abroad into the British or US markets.

In the persistance they doubled the capcity to 98cc in 1965 and that motor was put into the Brio (scooter) and the Cadet (roadster) with a reported 6 bhp @ 5,200 rpm. So this bike here is more than likely a 1965 model. Because of slow sales they were still available up until 1968.

They never sold and just backed up in the factory. A rival British importer to a Mr Vic Camp, Bill Hannah apparently imported hundreds into Britian where they never sold very well either.

Source: 'Ducati Motorcyles' Alan Cathcart (1983) Osprey Publishing Limited.

Also see http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/sho...ghlight=shroud
brett,

Good work!

Newbie, brett is spot on; your bike is indeed a relatively rare, (and highly collectable!) two-stroke Cadet. (Btw, Ducati also offered a 4-stroke Cadet 125 in 1967 and 1968.)

Allow me to add a few more details, (gleaned from Ian Falloon's, Standard Catalogue of Ducati Motorcyles):

Per Mr. Falloon, the Cadet was first released in 1964 as the Cadet 90, (actual displacement was 86.7cc, power output was 6hp.) The following year, (1965), bore was increased slightly from 49 to 51mm, increasing displacement to 94cc, (power output remained unchanged at 6hp), and the Cadet 100 was borne.

The initial model ran for two years, (1965/6). A slightly modified Cadet was offered from 1967 through 1969. Beginning with model year 1967, the major modifications were to the engine: displacement was increased again, (to 97.6cc), with the new engine now producing 7.2hp.

Additionally, in 1967 the fan-cooled head was abandoned, (although, per Ian Falloon, "fan- cooled versions were sold in the US through 1967"). The fan was an interesting idea, but ultimately didn't work. As you can see in the pics, a fan powered directly off the crankshaft sucked air in at the right side of the crankcase and blew the air up and around the head, which was shrouded in a metal case designed to direct the cooling air around the head. Just like a turbo or supercharger, the faster the engine spinned, the faster the cooling fan spinned. This was basically, "forced air," cooling, or, (put another way), "turbo-cooled." While ingenious, the design overlooked the obvious: namely, (assuming the bike is moving), an unshrouded head would receive more cooling air just by movement than the shrouded head could receive from the fan. The fan-cooled head design is only superior when the bike is stationary. Most people spend the majority of their riding time riding, but maybe Ducati was already designing for Starbucks poser types?!

For 1967, Ducati also abandoned the handlebar shift and outfitted the Cadet 100 with a rocking pedal foot change gear selector on the right side. The presence of the fan-cooled head and the right side rocking pedal foot change gear selector, (both clearly visible in your pics), means your Cadet 100 is a 1967 US model, outfitted with pedal shift, but still using the older fan-cooled head.

Interestingly enough, the luggage rack, (which was not standard equipment on the Cadet), appears to be from a Mountaineer. The Mountaineer was a motorcycle quite similar to the Cadet, offered by Ducati during the same period. Both bikes shared many components, including tank, headlight, and engine, the most noticable difference between the two models being the luggage rack, larger rear sprocket, and mid-swept scrambler exhaust on the Mountaineer as compared to no luggage rack, smaller rear sprocket, and a low-swept road exhaust on the Cadet.

Ducati has a long history of recycling whatever left-over parts they have laying around in the parts bin, so it's not surprising that your Cadet is equipped with a Mountaineer luggage rack. Either that, or the luggage rack is aftermarket. If it's a Mountaineer luggage rack that Ducati saw fit to mount on a Cadet, then it should be left on; if on the other hand, the luggage rack is a non-Ducati aftermarket accessory, the bike will, (arguably), be worth more with the luggage rack removed.

That's quite a little bike you have there!

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green)
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R (Red/Silver)
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducati 907ie w/ worked engine (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)

Last edited by mrinflux; June 11th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
mrinflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7

thanks alot guys..ya im almost 100% that the bike came with the luggage rack on it still...what would u figure a bike like that would go for price wise is what im curious about really cause i haven't as of yet found a specific price for it?
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

I wouldn't even hazard a guess what price one would / should / could pay for that.

It's for sale and you have to 'make an offer' ??

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #9

ya something like that...its mine but im just curious on how much something like that would go for and every where i look im gettin mixed information, and not gettin a solid answer..though i have heard to try and find a appraiser to appraise it...but i have no idea where to find a vintage motorcylce appraiser... and as well i have heard something along the lines of 4500 but other people say thats too much??? im lost!
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Which country are you from?

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #11

wow newbie..that little girl is a pearl..

dont know where youre from or if you get along with your dealership people..or if theres one nearby to you...
but i would either
see if a dealership could get an email out on your behalf to the ducati factory (with pics), and ask for some advice that way...
or
email ducati.com yourself with pics and see what kind of response or leads you can get thru them...
or like you say, seek someone out who deals in valuation
insurance co. may be able to help????..may be able to give you a name or lead to someone ..

dunno....just some thoughts..
good luck with your search

its a beautiful little treasure!!
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Newbie - if you, by chance, you happen to be in bonnie England then you may be able to contact Bonhams for some guidance. See Here as an example. Maybe they can help.

Old June 12th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

'67 'Cadet 100 value

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieDucati View Post
what would u figure a bike like that would go for?
Newbie,

I'm by no means an expert in the value of older Ducatis, but I do follow their sales on ebay, and have friends who buy, collect and sell vintage Ducatis, so I'll hazard a guesstimate for you:

First off, I'm guessing that since you came on www.ducatispot.com asking for help figuring out what year your Cadet is, you don't have a title. If at all possible, (and unless you stole the bike, it is possible), you need to get a title for the bike. The absence of a title decreases the resale value of your Cadet. Bike collectors are looking for a clear title with the bike. No title means less people will be interested in buying your bike, and those that are interested will not pay as much as if the bike came with a clear title. So go to your local MV office and find out how to get a title.

Your bike has many of the things that collectors of vintage Ducatis covet. Low milage, original tank, (that's huge!, many old Ducatis have replacement fiberglass tanks, or at the very least, repainted tanks), original seat, (also a big deal, most of these old Ducs long ago lost their original seats, and collectors look for original seats when shopping), and original paint, (which hopefully can be polished/shined/buffed up to presentable quality without having to repaint the bike. A vintage Ducati with original paint in presentable quality is worth much more than a repainted one with perfect paint.)

That's the good news. The bad news is that your old Cadet is filthy and in desperate need of a serious detail job. The paint needs to be cleaned and waxed; the chrome and engine cases are pitted and in need of attention. Just a few hours of elbow grease would improve the bike's appearance significantly and this in turn would enhance its value significantly.

Assuming you sell the bike with a clear title, I'm guessing your bike would sell, "as is," on ebay for somewhere between 3 to 4 thousand dollars. Spend a few hours detailing the bike, clean it up, make it shine, and take some nice pics of it, and you'd probably get 4 to 5 thousand dollars for it. Completely restored back to showroom/concourse condition, I'm guessing the bike is worth 8 to 10 thousand dollars.

Again, I'm not an expert; those numbers are just my opinion. Ultimately, part of the equation has to do with where you're located and the luck of the draw. The bigger a market you're in, the more potential buyers you'll have, and the more likely it is you'll find a buyer who just has to have your Cadet.

Speaking of which, where are you located?

Good luck with the sale.

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)

Last edited by mrinflux; June 12th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #14

Canada is where i'm from! and title im not sure what you mean by that but all I can say is i defiantly didn't steal it hahah.. my grandpa was a big fan of ducati's and he had it when i was just a wee lad..and when he passed away he left it to me, the only thing is i'm moving and can't bring it along. And i would love to see it back to its original beauty so thats why im looking for a collector to purchase it.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]
[907ie Paso]

Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieDucati View Post
"Title," im not sure what you mean by that.
Newbie,

All new Motor Vehicles leave the manufacturer with an MSO, (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). When the vehicle is sold by a licensed dealer, the MSO is converted by the local Motor Vehicle Agency into a Title. If the buyer lives in the same state as the dealer, this task is typically done by the dealer's title clerk; if on the other hand, the buyer lives in a different state, the buyer is given the MSO and he/she then takes the MSO to a local Motor Vehicle Agency in his/her state, who in turn generate a title for the vehicle. Either way, the first time a new vehicle is registered, a title is generated.

The title is a physical piece of paper that describes the vehicle itself, (Brand, model, color, and VIN number), and the owner by name and address. Most states also put some sort of seal or watermark on the title to guarantee authenticity and to reduce the risk of counterfiet and/or forged titles. If the owner financed the vehicle, (or has used the vehicle as collateral against some other loan, debt, or obligation), the lien holder's name also appears on the title. This is called a, "lien," or alternately, an, "encumberance." A title with no lien on it is considered, "clean," or, "unencumbered."

If the motor vehicle is sold with an outstanding lien or encumberance on the title, the lien must be satisfied before a new title can be generated. Because of this, buyers typically won't buy a used vehicle unless/until the title is clean.

Every time a motor vehicle is sold, traded, exchanged, or gifted to a new owner, a new title is generated indicating the new owner's name and address. Most states also put an alphabetical prefix before the VIN number, (or somewhere else on the title), indicating how many times the title has changed hands. (For example, an "A" title indicates a first owner, a "B" title indicates a second owner, etc...) This new title is generated at the same time that a buyer goes to register the vehicle. Some owners never register their vehicle, (dedicated track bikes or concourse bikes, for example, neither or which need license plates and are therefore never registered). When this happens, a continuous chain of titles is broken, and a motor vehicle can appear in the market place without a title. This makes it more complicated, (but not impossible!), for a subsequent buyer to get a title for the vehicle.

If the Cadet was left to you by your grandfather after he passed, then you'll be able to get a title for it. It may be complicated, but it can be done. And if you want to get what the bike is worth, you really need to do this. Go to your local Motor Vehicle Agency and inquire. They'll tell you what you need to do.

Elton
Track Bikes (#58):
'02 Yamaha R6 (Black)

Street Bikes:
'07 Ducati 1098s (Red)
'93 Ducat 907ie (Red)
'91 Ducati 907ie (Red)

Last edited by mrinflux; June 12th, 2009 at 10:23 AM.