Ducati TT2 and TT1 build - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > Vintage

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:27 AM   #16

So many questions, why did you swap out those magnificent magnesium forks for the RGV forks?
Do you still have those fork legs, the fibreglass fuel tank, the tubular swing arm and the 18" wheels, specifically the front wheel, I am chasing a front wheel and a correct verlicchi or tubular swing arm.

What is the frame in yours? I notive the curve around the vertical cylinder head as opposed to my touching ones. Why did you cross brace the front of the frame under the fuel tank?

It looks a bunch of fun!
yellow900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 30th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #17

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

hi again, went to 17" wheels for better rubber & brakes, suspension. stored the magnesium forks/ wheels away{ getting too hard/$$ to replace} & upside of 17" is it doesn't shake its head{ occasionally}. sold fuel-tank & replaced with ally tank{ lighter}, should have kept the s'arm, but sold frame/ swingarm{ motoplast copy} & replaced with genuine verlicci frame/swingarm{ version 3 I think}. the curved frame gives better access to cams & we braced both frame & s'arm for better rigitidy, s'arm is very prone to having the shock support post bend backwards & definitely needs bracing. being café-style, clip-ons sat a bit higher & was definitely a hoot to ride. still thinking about putting fairing back on & orig colours but need to widen top-piece--- did also like it plain black, no stickers, nothing.

]
shotie450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 01:22 AM   #18

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

Hey yellow900, ??? all the projects going??
Old November 1st, 2015, 11:00 PM   #19

Well the big 1080cc had a minor issue, during the shimming we noticed some camshaft spacing issues (due to me fitting NCR CNC end caps that were too short, so ordered in the spacers and we are good again) then we we noticed valve seat seals were all knocked out. After stripping the heads we found the front guides were moving around so now getting 2 new valves made up, new valve guides getting fitted. So hopefully that should should sort it and its good for 2016 track season.

TT2 dry clutch project, well ongoing saga, the crank is STILL in NSW waiting to get finished off. The lads starting assembling all the light weight gear and gearbox, I needed to order in new primary gear set as all the lightweight stuff is straight cut and the OEM is hellical... aahh always something hey! But she'll be a gem whenever its finished

TT2 wet clutch, haven't touched it, going to start on it this weekend, create a tail battery box, checkover the loom and see if it needs a new one, start test fitting new body work, etc etc.. all good.

I'll take some pics as we go along. Any news at your end?

Ed
Old November 6th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

Hi again, good to hear from you, zero progress on baby, other more pressing probs. as for your battery,check out mine{behind motor & below s'arm, good mass/central}. ?? cases are you using for 1080 mtr?
Old November 8th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #21

I was not too sure on the location of the battery in relation to debris/water and it hanging that low. As yours is a street bike, any hassles with speed bumps having it there? I was going to use a lightweight shorai battery so its negligble weight.

On the big motor, multristrada 1000 main cases, magnesium side covers, 749R gearbox, hypermotard barrels and heads (heads have been ported, flowed, big valves, NCR cams) Doing it again I would probably use the lightest 4v testastretta cases for lighter weight and more oil. There are a few lads running this engine in TT2 and F1 rolling chassis, with some modern suspension. Kinda defeats the purpose in my mind ... but full credit to them for building it
Old November 12th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #22

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

back again, never had any issues with battery in that position & never really liked orig position in seat.Have you tried a lithium battery yet?? Had one in my dirtbike & wouldn't charge properly. Electronics mate reckons charging system doesn't charge lipo batterys properly. was going to use one for TT2 but not sure now{ could run bigger, more powerful}. Any ideas???
Old November 15th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #23

I have run the Lipo's in the big 1080cc and the TT2 and never had any issues (mind you these are track bikes so no lights required. The TT2 was total loss at that stage. I also run on in my DRZ400 and did have one in my 1098s for a while, .... but the 1098 didnt like it (I think the immboliser drew down a little too much when it was parked.

They are finnicky in that you need to keep the charge up as you can kill them by letting them run too low.

On another note looks like we are moving to Melbourne in the new year so I'll hopefully have the TT's in a state of repair good enough to bring down with me. The big trackie will be good to go and my roadies .. but those TT's .... time and money pitts!!
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:24 AM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

Back again, about the Lipo's, I think what he meant was that most car/bike charging systems won't fully charge the battery & they die. Great news about Melb, where abouts?? have to catch up, embarrassingly I doubt if my TT2 will be running by then.... blame the other money pits!! You may be good incentive to get the ol' girl running again & stop procrastinating!!
yellow900 likes this.
Old November 24th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #25

Don't know where in Melbourne yet. Need to sort out job situation etc, missus has a transfer so we decided to give it a go.

Well neither TT is up and running, the crank from epicycle is holding up progress on one, and the other ..well thats me constantly procrastinating, but it will give me something to do down there if its not up and running yet. But I hope to get them both finished off early in the new year and get some track time in

Least the big toy is finished at last.
Old November 30th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

I'm envious, will prob be a while before I get TT2 up & running, need to make a new wiring harness, running a new ignition system, sort out new wheels & suspension{ again}, prob need to sort out carbs again, re-do paint-job again, etc.... you'll deffo enjoy Broadford & Phillip Is. also have some great roads as well. ?? sort of work do you do??
Old December 1st, 2015, 04:53 PM   #27

On the recommendation of Glyn from Sports Motorcycles in NZ we are running ignitech and mini Dyna coils on the ground up build and new loom

For the road one I'm messing with it has all the rubbish pantah coils and ignition and some dodgy pantah loom. I'll replicate the other one once money and time allows. (I'll send pics and details of mine in a bit)

What's the go with your wheels? What do you want to do? My gound up has magnesium marvics the road one 18" rear and 16" front of a katana 750, would like to upgrade that to 18" Campagnolo's at some stage.

Currently work for Education Dept looking after 200+ Government funded early childhood programs all over Queensland and before that worked in child protection for a long time and a heap of time as policy writer for different departments.

I'm sure I'll find something, unfortunately the prospect is not as exciting as tinkering on these little rockets.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:44 AM   #28

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

We were running kokusun ignition, but horrible ignition advance curve, & changing over to Silent Hectik, much better choice of igniton curves. I want to change my rgv wheels to carbon & hoping I can get them in the same sizes. when I ran the 18" wheels, the bike was very flighty in the front end, had some very memorable tank-slappers!!! I think I need to get a few distractions out of the way & get back to TT2.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:47 PM   #29

As an alternative to BST/Dymag carbon wheels have you considered 17" magnesium? I'm not sure on the smaller size carbon rims, I have searched to no avail.

When we spoke to Glyn in NZ he advised against 17" stating they found best lap times and handling with original 18" set up, yet in a few TT2 forum members in Europe and USA claim they are getting equal time on the 17" with a wider range of rubber choice. I have only ever ridden TT2's on 17" and a Pantah on 18" (but the pantah weight overshadowed any handling)

I luckily have a couple of Ohlins steering dampers tucked away in box of goodies, that should save me from having to many kodak moments!!

Started on the fairing stays last night, fabulous effort ...except they were too short ... haha... ah the joys
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #30

ducatis in the registry:
[TT2]

Hi again, to be honest haven't really started looking for wheels yet{ 17x3, 17x5 from memory}. I would recommend not over-tiring the bike to keep it nice & nimble. personally I loved the handling of the 17'' & rarely needed the steering-damper. Check out the latest Aust Historic Racer mag, picked up a copy yesterday & yet to read it..... you should enjoy!! Hopefully over Chrissy I might get a chance to do something & really need to start on wiring-loom{ was a runner before I started to slowly pull it to bits... HMMM!} BTW are you in Brissie??