Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying the valve kit, spings and Öhlins fork oil and installing into my stock Showa forks. Gonna do the Öhlins rear TTX shock too, but I'm still saving up.

Just wanted to know if this makes much of a difference over the stock setup. I can't afford the actual forks or even the cartridges at this point so I was thinking of whether this would be an affordable upgrade or something that wouldn't make much of a difference over my stock forks.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The valves aren't the issue, it's the shim stacks. So throwing Öhlins valves in there, isn't really going to be a huge difference. Yes it's better because the stacks are better, but it's nothing awesome. I've done the UES kit on many bikes and never been IN LOVE with the results.

What most people do (myself included) is run the cartridge kits. Öhlins makes a fantastic drop-in kit for pretty much all modern sportbikes. Back in the day we ran 25mm kits because they were the easiest to get decent settings for. However today most people run the NIX 30mm kit, which is a huge improvement. The nice thing about running a cartridge kit is that someone else will build it for you, with the spring and everything and all you need to do is drop it in as a complete unit. This way you can guarantee it was built properly and for your weight/riding ability, which is the key.

I actually prefer (so do many people) the Öhlins cartridge in the Showa fork for MANY reasons. The biggest reason is that the Öhlins R&T forks have a rounded cap, preventing you from using cap extenders, which are actually very important when setting up ride height. You won't see a single bike on the AMA grid without those extenders on them.

Right now hardracing.com has a deal on a TTX36MKII shock and NIX30mm cartridges for YOUR bike, configured for you @ $2249. You can probably get a similar deal from other Öhlins dealers, it's nothing outrageously special. This kit will get you started on the path to having good suspension that you won't ever have to worry about again. When you're ready to get the chassis geometry setup properly, you can simply call your local Öhlins dealer and get those extender caps and screw them on.

One final thought… if you're going to do the suspension, I would absolutely without doubt do the chassis geometry kit; 30mm offset triples, linear rear link, shortened adjustable ride height adaptor. These three things together will make your bike sing. The problem is, if you do them up the road, you will need to make an adjustment to the shock, as stock it comes too long, it will need to be shortened. So thats why a lot of people do the whole kit together and you should be able to do all of it for $3200 USD. It's a lot I know, but I'd save and do it all because it will turn your bike into an amazing machine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Yeah, 3k is waaay too much. I got too much stuff going on right now to be shelling out even a third of that.

I was just wondering if replacing the valves, springs and oil would make a big enough difference to justify the $500 cost.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I was just wondering if replacing the valves, springs and oil would make a big enough difference to justify the $500 cost.
It's $2240 actually, the $3k price includes everything to make the bike work properly.

Yes the UES (valve kit) will make a difference for sure.

The reason I don't like the kit is because it's substandard. It doesn't resolve many of the inherent problems with the fork. It's a quick fix for a bigger problem and you will probably eventually do the cartridge kit anyway, negating that $500 bux you spent. So in my view, start saving money so you can buy the real deal. Even if you don't buy new, that's OK… I see cartridge kits on ebay all the time for cheaper then the price I quoted. Just gotta keep your eyes open!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Steven get the 25mm, 2nd/3rd generation, Ohlins kit for your OEM Ohlins or Showa forks if you can find them. I tried the Nix, but went back to the 25mm kit. Remember your bike as well as any other Ducati was set up for 2 up riding, that is what you are wanting to modify. A TTX is great, especially when combined with a Corse, Kyle, Ducshop, Motowheels, linear link. As is the front triple in different offsets and rake angles. I prefer the 28mm offset with a 23.5 deg rake angle...do as you can afford, but have the whole package in your future.... Really works well with the proper spring rate for your size and style......

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steven get the 25mm, 2nd/3rd generation, Ohlins kit for your OEM Ohlins or Showa forks if you can find them. I tried the Nix, but went back to the 25mm kit. Remember your bike as well as any other Ducati was set up for 2 up riding, that is what you are wanting to modify. A TTX is great, especially when combined with a Corse, Kyle, Ducshop, Motowheels, linear link. As is the front triple in different offsets and rake angles. I prefer the 28mm offset with a 23.5 deg rake angle...do as you can afford, but have the whole package in your future.... Really works well with the proper spring rate for your size and style......
I still have to set the sag for my weight lol. I've really been slacking. I'm not really too educated on what the offset triples do, but from what I've read it's about shortening and lengthening the wheelbase (????). It seems like the consensus is that it handles better through turns, but a bit unstable on straights?

I've never messed with suspension (other than rebound & compression) too much on my bikes because i've always purchased used and they never really "felt off". But I did notice that with this bike, I'm running wide whenever I'm hard on the throttle and I'm not getting much feedback from my tires. Almost like a floating feeling...

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Yep, my 1098R would scare the shit out of getting on the gas exiting a corner. I did all the stuff on my bike, front... 28mm offset/23.5 rake angle, 25mm Ohlins kit (2nd edition, the first had too much brake dive), lighter springs in forks, 10mm less oil, rear.... linear link, stiffer spring, TTX revalved for link, BOOM, once I got the preload, sag, ride height set at 235MM, tinker with the compression and rebound settings.... the bike was like a "surgical instrument" went where I ask, even to the point of changing direction at will..... I can only imagine what the Factory Ducati WSBKs must be like......:):

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm not really too educated on what the offset triples do, but from what I've read it's about shortening and lengthening the wheelbase (????). It seems like the consensus is that it handles better through turns, but a bit unstable on straights?
The problem with Ducati superbikes is that the engine is very long. To solve this problem, Ducati resorted to using a pretty short swing arm and moving the front forks further away (offset) from the steering stem. This even's out the weight distribution pretty good and delivers enough trail for the average rider. It also makes the bike very stable for slow-speed street and 2 up riding.

However, there simply isn't enough weight on the front end for serious track riding. The bike will run wide on corner exit almost every time and getting it to steer at high speed due to the longer wheelbase, can be difficult. Plus, the stock progressive rear end, has issues with squat and that leads to less traction on exit as well.

The solution to the problem is to bring those forks back a few millimeters (fork offset) and extend the rear end of the bike slightly which puts more weight on the front end. This AND a 1 less degree rake, allows the bike to fall into the corner much easier at high speeds and it won't over steer on corner exit. Adding a progressive rear link helps tremendously with the squat issue.

The fork offset and rear link gives greater stability at high speeds. However, when decrease the rake angle, it absolutely effects stability. This is why a lot of riders run high-end adjustable steering dampers to help quench those issues. There really aren't any down sides on the track, on the street at slow speeds, the bike will have less stability.

With all that said, there is no reason you can't focus on one thing at a time. Start with the forks/shock and over time work your way through the different components. Many of us (myself included) are so use to running with proper geometry, it's difficult for us NOT to suggest doing the right thing because of how good it truly feels. However, you are just starting out and money spent on education at your level is probably far BETTER money spent, then adding hardware to your bike. ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice!

My buddy rode my bike recently (he has an R6) and said that the bike was almost refusing to dive into the corners.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Cool, since you are in Ca. I would deal, if possible with Dan Kyle... not only sells the stuff, but knows how to assist you in the set-up... and he is a very good guy!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, since you are in Ca. I would deal, if possible with Dan Kyle... not only sells the stuff, but knows how to assist you in the set-up... and he is a very good guy!!!
Awesome. I see his name mentioned a lot in the forum. Never seen anything bad either. Seems like everyone uses services.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I'm more impressed that you took the time to get the O with the two dots on top when spelling out Ohlins :p

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I'm more impressed that you took the time to get the O with the two dots on top when spelling out Ohlins :p
No shit...I saw that and said...whoa...how do you do that O:....
Nope!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol You noticed that, right?!!

Something just irked me about not having them there, so I just googled it and copied the "O" with the two dots and spelled the rest of it out.

I am a certified grammar nazi.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Umlaut's are part of many languages and mac keyboards have the function built in, so you don't need to switch keyboards layouts to whatever native language uses them, in order to type them. If you hit "option" and "U" at the same time, the umlaut is put in place and if you use the letters (A, U, O, E), the umlaut will stay on top of the letter used.

Now that's education! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts