Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying the valve kit, spings and Öhlins fork oil and installing into my stock Showa forks. Gonna do the Öhlins rear TTX shock too, but I'm still saving up.

Just wanted to know if this makes much of a difference over the stock setup. I can't afford the actual forks or even the cartridges at this point so I was thinking of whether this would be an affordable upgrade or something that wouldn't make much of a difference over my stock forks.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Yeah, 3k is waaay too much. I got too much stuff going on right now to be shelling out even a third of that.

I was just wondering if replacing the valves, springs and oil would make a big enough difference to justify the $500 cost.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steven get the 25mm, 2nd/3rd generation, Ohlins kit for your OEM Ohlins or Showa forks if you can find them. I tried the Nix, but went back to the 25mm kit. Remember your bike as well as any other Ducati was set up for 2 up riding, that is what you are wanting to modify. A TTX is great, especially when combined with a Corse, Kyle, Ducshop, Motowheels, linear link. As is the front triple in different offsets and rake angles. I prefer the 28mm offset with a 23.5 deg rake angle...do as you can afford, but have the whole package in your future.... Really works well with the proper spring rate for your size and style......
I still have to set the sag for my weight lol. I've really been slacking. I'm not really too educated on what the offset triples do, but from what I've read it's about shortening and lengthening the wheelbase (????). It seems like the consensus is that it handles better through turns, but a bit unstable on straights?

I've never messed with suspension (other than rebound & compression) too much on my bikes because i've always purchased used and they never really "felt off". But I did notice that with this bike, I'm running wide whenever I'm hard on the throttle and I'm not getting much feedback from my tires. Almost like a floating feeling...

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, since you are in Ca. I would deal, if possible with Dan Kyle... not only sells the stuff, but knows how to assist you in the set-up... and he is a very good guy!!!
Awesome. I see his name mentioned a lot in the forum. Never seen anything bad either. Seems like everyone uses services.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Steve, the first thing I would do is get your SAG set up. You can do this for very cheap maybe even free depending on who your friends are. Setting SAG will make a difference in the ride quality. If you are unable to get the proper SAG numbers then you might want to look into getting a different spring rate. Springs cost about $100 for a set and will allow you to get into the correct SAG range. Finally, you can talk to your local suspension guys and see if they can rebuild the shim stack for you. I just had ohlins springs and a new shim stack installed on my 899 by Donnie Unger of Ducati Winchester. The price was not too bad for parts and labor plus the fork oil change. Like others have already stated, the valving on the 848 showa's is not too bad for most people. This is the route that I would recommend to stay under budget and make an immense difference in how the bike handles. Are you tracking your bike or just street riding?
Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, all my riding buddies have moved out of state so I'd have to go somewhere to get my sag set. I'm also not sure where I can get this done. I'm taking her in to the dealership for the 15k service tonight so I was thinking of asking the guys there to help me with setting sag when I go to pick her up on Saturday. Hopefully they'll be willing to take the time.

As far as getting springs and rebuilding the shim stack, not sure where I can take her, but I'm pretty sure a little bit of research and I'll be able to find somewhere in my local area to get that done.

I haven't done any track days as of yet but I am planning on attending the CSS Level 1 & 2 courses this year and will more than likely participate in a few track days.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
First set sag, as mentioned above. It will feel light years better, I promise.

When upgrading parts, the first thing you should do it a rear shock. A rear shock way before front forks. Trust me on this.
That's definitely been the consensus. Unfortunately, the shocks that I've been pricing out have still been out of budget at this point (Penske, Ohlins). Do you think replacing the spring is the way to go, or should I just wait until I can replace the entire rear shock?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.