Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 996 and clutch was slipping something fierce ( after it got hot I couldn't go over 20mph). Long story short I got a brand new clutch pack from my buddy who was changing to a 48 tooth clutch. It worked perfect on his bike. So I figured all right free trouble shooting. I put it in my bike and my bike wouldn't even move. I took it apart and added a steal and then it was engaged all the time. So I took the extra steal out and it is still engaging with the clutch pulled in. Any ideas? Has me stumped

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Make sure the clutch pack measures correctly in stack height. Can't say why his worked and yours does not, but they are different so too many variables.

Stack height should be 36.5-38.5mm. Also make sure you place your plates in correctly. Start with a steel, end with a steel. Curved plate goes in the center.

You should also check your clutch fluid level, to cast out that variable. If you have adjustable levers, make sure the plunger is adjusted correctly too. Thee should be just enough play in the lever so that the master is not constantly having pressure applied.

Lastly, check your chain and sprockets. I've seen worn sprockets or loose chains do the same thing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you replaced your clutch lever or adjusted the free play lately , the problem might be related to that, also make sure the clutch drum nut is tight and don't forget to align the pressure plate when installing it back.

Chain and sprockets could cause that issue as fast stated above.

·
Registered
192 Posts
forgot about aligning the plate, did that on mine when i changed it and it didnt work. make sure you align the pressure plate or the clutch wont disengage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I know if the pressure plate is aligned? I saw the dot on it but didn't know what to line it up with. It goes on a little further one way then any other

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
192 Posts
step by step clutch replacement

heres a pdf file with pics on how to di go info. got it off ducati.ms, you are there as well right?
Then the Pressure Plate can be fitted. The slit
in the top of one of the Drum Pins, which can
be seen between the Spring in this picture,
must be lined up with the Arrow/Triangle on
the Plate. Push it on with enough force to
locate the Push Rod in the Control Pin.
this in the pdf file, should help a lot

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope haven't been there yet, this is about my six time replacing one of these on a couple different bikes and I always just put it back the way it came off. Guess this time I didn't do it correctly. Ha thanks for the file!

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
192 Posts
ya, if the arrow isnt lined up with the notch on the hub, the pressure plate wont seat on the clutch plates. it will bind on the basket and not disengage.

just figured it was you on ducati.me with same exact problem with the same name

ducati.ms gets a lot more traffic with the older ducati's than here for some reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes sorry that's me on ducati.ms. I must have misunderstood what you were talking about

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts