Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My first new thread! I am planing on purchasing my first Monster soon. I have already decided that it's the bike for me... now just a question of which one. I'm getting back into motorcylcing after 20 years away. I considered getting a "re-learner bike" first like an SV650 or such but my heart will not be satisfied with anything but a Monster so I'm just going for it.

Here's the question: I've found locally for sale for about $5,000 each and each with about 8K miles on the clock:

an '01 S4 pretty much bone stock

-or-

a '99 M900 with a Fast By Ferracci 944 big bore kit, lots of Carbon fiber pieces, Full Forza Exhaust, new Shorai Lithium Iron Lightweight Battery, Corbin Seat, Olin Steering Damper, and Chopped Tail.

Both bikes look well cared for and maintained at local trusted Ducati Dealer. Neither ever dropped. Both clean title.

I am a decent shade tree mechanic and plan on doing my own work (mostly).

All other things being equal, any recommendations one or the other?

Thanks for any input! - Phil

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
s4 is nice and has the newer triple and head tube along with a great motor. the ferracci kit bike will give you easier valve adjustments and has alot of goodies. I'm glad you are up for working on them because any bike over 10 yrs old is likely going to need some loving just because time degrades parts almost as much as mileage.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
+1

Go over them both really well and see how well they were maintained. Check the fluids and see if they are good and clean, carbs..etc.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
If you want power get the S4. If you don't want the 4-valve headache get the 900. I bet you'll be happy with either.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you ask an old man with plenty years of Ducati experience?
Take the 900 M. I bought my first in 1993. I still have it, nearly original. And I built an other one in 2012. Her sister.
I have all the super bikes since 916 SP. All sold after a new one was built from ducati. But never ever sold this famous 900M.

I also have had a S4 in 2001, But you can not compare this 916 4 valve engine to the old 900 engines of SS, SL and 900M, I have more fun on legal roads with the old Bella, since yet.

I also use a Desmosedici but never the less two old cheap 900M.:):):):):):)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts