Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started riding and I am proud to have a Ducati as my first! I think I got a good deal - 17k miles, 1 owner, no damage, great price.

Previous owner tried to jump it with a car battery and apperently fried something. I have no clue what it is but upon prelim testing we think it might be the computer. I read also that the stator is common problem with this bike.

-New battery
-Bike doesnt get any power when ignition is set to on.
-Ignition sticks too

Any tips/comments/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and maybe ill see ya'll on the road

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I can't comment specifically on your failure, although it's probably safe to assume that the previous owner connected the jumper leads back-to-front and fried at least the voltage regulator (if not the actual ignition amplifiers as well).
As a general comment on this model though - the battery is ridiculous to access from stock, and often suffers from neglect as a result. To have to start by dismantling the dashboard, and work your way down to remove the side fairings is a design fault - nothing less.
The smaller gel-type battery of the later ST2s struggles to start the bike, particularly with the headlight hard-wired.
The wet-cell 16Ah battery from the earlier bike provides more ccA (cold cranking Amperes), but the best mod you can do to help this issue is to fit a headlight on-off switch.
If this is wired into the earth side of the headlight, it has the added benefit of illuminating the hi-beam indicator, thereby reminding you that the headlight is switched off.
This will eliminate the most battery-draining moment of starting the engine whilst also illuminating the headlight, and is why later bikes automatically cut the headlight during starting.
Good luck with it. They are quite a nice machine to ride. Don't tour with it overladen though - there have been catastrophic failures on these if allowed to bottom out (usually with a tired Showa rear unit - the Ohlins bikes don't seem so prone to this). Like frame failures, and chunks pulled out of crankcases. I have seen them, and it ain't pretty..

·
Registered
439 Posts
[ To have to start by dismantling the dashboard, and work your way down to remove the side fairings is a design fault - nothing less

Hi pat, mate I was just wondering if I was doing it wrong...
I just undo the series of screws that attach the right lower fairing to the upper, as well as two on the belly pan and presto! Hello battery :)

But fit an after market accessory socket to the battery and even this becomes unnessacary..
most of the time..
But being old school I still prefer to disconnect the battery for charging.

·
Registered
550 Posts
...any good Ducati shop will plug in the diagnostic and you'll know. Based on your "mode of failure" story I fear it's almost certainly the computer. At home your choices are limited to; 1) listen to the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on. 2) use another plug, and see if the rear cyl' has spark. 3) ensure the battery has a minimum of 12 volts. 4) plenty of fuel?+fuel filter not blocked? 5) after checking all the fuses, and relays, remove/replace the main computer plug carefully. 6) remove and replace the chip within the computer carefully. 7) sometimes simply replacing the sparkplugs is a "magic fix", I have experienced this on my 996 and the ST2 and was put onto it by a legend Duke engineer, so simple, and the existing plugs "should work" but dont. Still no go? Have it diagnosed at a Ducati shop. I hope you havent 'lost' the computer, and wish you 'good luck' anyway.
:conveyer:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tyler Durden? Fight club? Hah, thats good and gave me a chuckle!
Don't let it get you down as it sounds like you may have a blown fuse or loose or corroded ground cable since you stated you have a new battery and nothing happens when you turn the key. Also you stated the ignition sticks. You might try a short shot of WD40 into the switch though the switch may be the culprit as to why nothing happens when you turn the key. Could even be a loose ignition connector.
A bad stator would not prevent power up of the electrical system. And being a newer '02 model I doubt you'll be affected by any stator issue like the earlier models were. Also don't be concerned at this time with the headlight being on at start. If you have the basic good battery, cables, starter relay and starter, you shouldn't have a problem but ya gotta get the power flowing first. 60k miles plus and no start issue with headlight on.
Good luck.:dance:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts