Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having trouble bleeding my clutch system. I have enough pressure at the lever to move the pressure plate a little but not enough, Is there a bleeder valve on the clutch mater cylinder on an 05 999s? Any tips on bleeding the system? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just strap the lever in all the way to the bar over night. Do this a couple of times and see if the air will travel out of the reservoir. The reservoir lid needs to be loose so there less pressure in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, the bleeder screw is in the reservoir and yes it is the mounting screw/bolt. 6mm from memory. When you have built up pressure by pumping the lever unscrew the bolt very slowly a little as it will get rid of air and may spit fluid out of the reservoir and onto paint work etc. keep opening and closing it until you just see fluid entering the reservoir and no air bubbles. Hope this makes sense

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also make sure I fill reservoir up so that fluid level is above bleeder screw. That way no chance of it inhaling air.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Yes a bit of a 'unique' idea this one, and disappeared on the next model!
I suspect it was part of the 999/749 designer (one Pierre Terreblanche)'s 'whole of bike' approach to redesigning the iconic 916/998 series into the 999. This master cylinder thing may have been one of his ideas (a little like his 'stacked headlights' perhaps, which divide opinion to this day...) which was incorporated into the master cylinders' designs, given those were introduced with the 999 series. They had a distinct appearance/external design, and I believe only appeared on the 999/749 models.
Ducati long had history of making one part do more than one job, where feasible, and the Terreblanche master cylinder is intended to have the plastic reservoir mount, and the bleed function, in the one part.
I would have to own up to being mystified by the thing when I first encountered one, and I've been at this stuff for ages, so I'm betting that many an 'expert' was puzzled by this idea on first encounter. Not just the hapless owner, who simply wanted to bleed their brake/clutch fluid...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts