Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies 1098S was making a noise during our last ride (mine was too but much different and quieter) and it's been sitting/waiting for weeks for diagnosis. Well, yesterday it was up and this is what was found in the oil. Mechanic says ''connecting rod bearing''.

Bike has 7500 miles on it and he purchased it about 18 months ago with 2,900 miles on it. It had been laid down on both sides at low speeds. Apparently the bike had sat for a few years off and on but when my buddy purchased it, the first place he took it to was to our Ducati mechanic for a valve check, new belts, oil, all fluids and tires. Bike has always run great except for the stalling issue. Of course he is shocked and doesn't know what route he's going to take.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
That's pretty sad. Give him our condolences.

You would have to think that in at least one of the accidents the engine must have run on its side for a time.

As you may have read in my (currently stalled due to the lack of one part..) rebuild thread (Pat's Engine Overhaul) my big-end bearings were in great condition after a reasonable mileage.

That's what makes me think your friend's issues are probably due to his bike running while lying on its side, with some attendant lack of oil supply.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's definitely possible that it ran on it's side for a bit.

Pat, how long would it take for damage to occur from that? Seconds or minutes?

·
Registered
303 Posts
If there is a bike that needs a tilt sensor, its a track/racebike. I don't think the 07 came with one, but I could be wrong
My 07 1098S is a track bike only and I have considered adding one of these lanyard kill switches. It would guarantee the bike shuts off if you leave it, but I have yet to see anyone use one, so I feel a bit foolish.

MPS Tether Kill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tilt Sensor

Hi guys! My 1098 is an Aussie delivered 2007 bike, & it never had a Tilt Sensor fitted! As far as I'm aware, none of the 07 Mdl's had one:ahhh:

·
Registered
765 Posts
My 07 1098S is a track bike only and I have considered adding one of these lanyard kill switches. It would guarantee the bike shuts off if you leave it, but I have yet to see anyone use one, so I feel a bit foolish.

MPS Tether Kill
The only foolish thing to do is to NOT have a a deadman's switch. These engine will destroy themselves very quickly if not shut off promptly.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the MPS switch sitting on the shelf in the garage, I just need to get around to actually install it. Believe me, every morning at the track I slap my forehead, that I forgot, again! :(

Gotta ask though, why would you feel foolish using it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the MPS switch sitting on the shelf in the garage, I just need to get around to actually install it. Believe me, every morning at the track I slap my forehead, that I forgot, again! :(

Gotta ask though, why would you feel foolish using it?
a combination of lazyness, money and the fact that i have yet to see another racer use one has kept me from buying it. I had done my research in the past when I saw the threads about peoples bikes ruined. I wonder how they even install.

by the way, as I typed this my wife came in and saw all the emoticons (smiles) on the right side of this page. Asked me how often I use them, I said never. She loved this one so I gotta use it.

so, tether switch to avoid :shitfan:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes, it's definitely possible that it ran on it's side for a bit.

Pat, how long would it take for damage to occur from that? Seconds or minutes?
Depending on revs, not long. Not minutes. :bawling:

Only as long as it takes to clear off the residual oil, then she's running fairly dry.

Plain big-ends need a high-pressure oil delivery. When that falters they cook pretty quickly.

No balls or rollers reducing the friction in there.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK guys, my buddy is looking for a new engine now BUT he's considering going with an 1198 motor if he runs across one first. I understand that the exhaust is different but what else needs to be addressed? Obviously, he'd need a new ECU but what else? Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i was also looking for a kill switch for my track day bike, i don't want to deal with the carnage is i happen to go down and the motor keeps running

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
There is a "tip over" switch available, I am not sure if you must have a Microtec 197 for fitment...
But Mark Sutton @ the DucShop has mentioned the item, also Larry Zullo @ Motocorse has talked about the availability. I am installing one this off season.... for sure. Ducati motors do not like being on the ground, on their left side, while the engine is running. Instant death to the rod berings, through oil starvation. May not show up for a 1000 miles of use,.... but it is done!!! Right side tip overs, not so bad!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts