Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Another bike won't start. So i check the spark plug. i dry fired it to see if there was a spark. There was for a few seconds, then none, and then some spark and then none. So it does spark just not all the time. When i first pulled the spark plug off, it was wet. So it getting the fuel. I pulled the fuel pump off to see if the fuel line on it was still connected and it was. I put everything back together and it still doesn't want to start. i did a couple of videos and i will post them. The 7500 mile service has not been done. I just wanted to add. I do the maintenance myself just haven't got around to doing it yet. Still enjoying the ride if it starts. i know the service needs to be done so no bashing for that.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are both unlocked now. i can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key. I always have to give it a little rev at start up. the voltage is around 12.3 before i start. i tried to jump it from my car just to make sure it wasn't a bad battery. i bought the battery in november.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, I'm voting fuel.

Take one of the air runners off and look into the airbox with a flashlight to see if there is fuel coming out of the injectors when you try to start it.

Another thing… does the throttle pull feel unusually light?

Reactions: 34566

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
A set of new spark plugs is usually a good place to start.

Once they have been fouled they won't fire correctly.

They are easily fouled if you start it and switch it off again without fully warming it up. Especially if you have the DP exhaust and ECU upgrade.

I try and only start mine if I am going to ride it. Sorry I haven't looked at the videos - just making the obvious suggestion..

:eek:

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
And in case you hadn't heard - plugs are half the price from NGK (MAR-10J) compared to a Ducati spare part price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i have already looked at the prices. 10 bucks is alot better than the 20 bucks. Ill have to look at the rest on thursday. Got softball tomorrow night. I will post then to see what i find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys this is my first post and hope I can help. Just got my 13' 848 evo back from the shop after 5 weeks. I was having a similar issue. My bike would leave me stranded after setting for an hr or so. Long story short they replaced my throttle bodies and stepper motor/actuator kit, ecu, plugs, and adjuster,closing rocker arm. She has warranty so I got lucky. Ducati made my man Wayne over at Northern Colorado Euro run about 21 hrs worth of work u till they replaced everything. I have the repair invoice with tech notes if you want me to post them. Check the stepper and if it don't start give it a tiny amount of throttle and hold it there for 20-30 secs even after it starts. That's what I was told to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im still awaiting my spark plugs. No one had them in virginia beach so i had to order them. The old ones were pretty bad. Wet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I am still waiting on my spark plugs. I pulled the filter off and it looks brand new. In the service manual it walks about reading out the coil plugs at 650 m OHMS on wire 1 and 15. im not sure how to do that. just looking over the bike to see if anything else I can do while im waiting for parts. thanks guys.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Sounds good, maybe just give it a good all around, plugs, air filter, etc...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah i am. Put 40 miles on it today just riding around town. Shes good to go but i still wanna do some more maintenance.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
So it was a fueling issue after all. The mystery continues!

Thanks for the update!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.