Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Monster 696 as my first bike. I wanted to know if there was anything specifically i should be looking for? or if there are some common problems i should be aware of.

This is the one i'm looking at. At a glance does it look ok? I was told the owner traded up to a monster 1200. It looks like he liked Carbon Fiber accessories.

Used 2009 Ducati Monster 696 Motorcycle For Sale In Cambridge ON - autoTRADER.ca

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like a nice looking bike to me with fair amount of upgrades. I currently ride a new 696 so I can't really say much for problems down the road. So far I haven't had any probs with my bike. I absolutely love my monster. So much fun in the canyon or city commute.

If this is your first time ever to own or ride a motorcycle, then I would suggest getting a cheap bike that's kinda beat up, something like 250 or 600cc and get use to riding. It's one of those things that take time to master. I fell a few times on my first bike. Had to lay it down once. I wouldn't want that to happen to a bike you care about.

If your set on this bike then I would recommend getting crash protection for YOU and your bike. Www.monsterparts.com is my fav for parts. eBay also has good deals.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice looking bike to me with fair amount of upgrades. I currently ride a new 696 so I can't really say much for problems down the road. So far I haven't had any probs with my bike. I absolutely love my monster. So much fun in the canyon or city commute.

If this is your first time ever to own or ride a motorcycle, then I would suggest getting a cheap bike that's kinda beat up, something like 250 or 600cc and get use to riding. It's one of those things that take time to master. I fell a few times on my first bike. Had to lay it down once. I wouldn't want that to happen to a bike you care about.

If your set on this bike then I would recommend getting crash protection for YOU and your bike. Monster Parts: Ducati Monster Parts and Accesories is my fav for parts. eBay also has good deals.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. To be honest there are two reasons I'm looking at the monster as a first bike. I'm 6'3" and am mostly leg. As it stands now I can stand flat foot over this bike. I was looking at a Duke 390 but it was a no go. I haven't found any smaller naked bikes I'd fit on. If you know any I'm all ears.

The second reason is because I love the monster. I never had any intrust in riding until I saw one. Ever since then I can't shake the urge.

I will deffenatly check out some crash protection. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi DSFX

I first saw a monster 21 years ago and fell in love , at the time I would probably killed myself on one , however at 51 years old passed my test last august and guess what my first bike was , a 2013 monster 696 (red of course) not had any issues other than no fuel gauge , but hey , that helps with mental arithmetic's , lol
enjoy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Known issues... forks are not adjustable and the rear shock is mediocre at best so suspension set up is a challenge. Battery is a pain to replace. Typical duc problems like kickstand switches and overpriced parts.

Ebay fork swap to an 1100 is a simple fix to vastly improve the ride. Do not get woodcraft rearsets as they will not fit your body. I'm 6'1" and it's tight for me. Just change out the pegs to something with some grip. Swap brake and clutch masters to a set from an 848 is good as well, and many online will have good aftermarket levers with them. Don't waste cash on terminal exhaust, just pick up a DP ecu online and put some other cans on it. Get stomp grips for the tank and put some extra foam in the front of the seat or you will be crotch bashing the tank at every stop.

I can go on... but that's enough for now

·
Registered
125 Posts
Known issues... forks are not adjustable and the rear shock is mediocre at best so suspension set up is a challenge. Battery is a pain to replace. Typical duc problems like kickstand switches and overpriced parts.

Ebay fork swap to an 1100 is a simple fix to vastly improve the ride. Do not get woodcraft rearsets as they will not fit your body. I'm 6'1" and it's tight for me. Just change out the pegs to something with some grip. Swap brake and clutch masters to a set from an 848 is good as well, and many online will have good aftermarket levers with them. Don't waste cash on terminal exhaust, just pick up a DP ecu online and put some other cans on it. Get stomp grips for the tank and put some extra foam in the front of the seat or you will be crotch bashing the tank at every stop.

I can go on... but that's enough for now
couple of questions regarding your post...

I was leaning towards woodcraft rearsets.. I am 5'-11" and am wondering if you think they will still be too tight. Also, I am getting rear sets for ground clearance at track day, have you been to th etrack with stock rearsets? I hear the ground clearance is horrible even an amateur pace

- My bike came with termi + DP ECU kit. Can you be specific about what you dislike about the Termi pipes?

Thank you

·
Registered
270 Posts
No go on the woodcraft. I'm 6'1" and all leg. I've got woodcraft on mine and it's brutal to ride even with everything set to the lowest mark. Get some cnc'd pegs and put them on the stock mounts.
I second the service concerns from above. If it's gonna be your first bike, get a frame slider and case cover guards.
There's lots you can do with it if you get bored, bit keep it stock and protected until you get some skill.
If your competent with a wrench, even the major service items are pretty easy on the two valve motors.

·
Registered
93 Posts
couple of questions regarding your post...

I was leaning towards woodcraft rearsets.. I am 5'-11" and am wondering if you think they will still be too tight. Also, I am getting rear sets for ground clearance at track day, have you been to th etrack with stock rearsets? I hear the ground clearance is horrible even an amateur pace

- My bike came with termi + DP ECU kit. Can you be specific about what you dislike about the Termi pipes?

Thank you
I'm 5'11" w/ woodcraft rear sets - no issues. Love them! Racy position and great grip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.