Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a 2005 999 with 1800 miles on it. The miles were put on from 2011 to present.

The belts are obviously 10 years old. Should I not even ride it until I have the belts changed along with the oil at my shop?

Shouldn't be too much money because the valves are all fine.

WWDD ? (What would Ducatisti Do)

:dance:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't think you will get many replies suggesting you run the bike as it is, belt change should be top of the list for me.
Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Run it long enough to warm the oil up for a drain and do a full fluid service with a belt and plug change.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it was me I would open the covers and look at the belts and if they looked ok no cracks or loose then I personally wouldn't sweat using the bike for a bit until I changed them. That's what I would do. 10 yr old 999 with 1800miles??? 180 miles per year??? I can do that in a day. Bike must be perfect. Show some pics of this rare find!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was me I would open the covers and look at the belts and if they looked ok no cracks or loose then I personally wouldn't sweat using the bike for a bit until I changed them. That's what I would do. 10 yr old 999 with 1800miles??? 180 miles per year??? I can do that in a day. Bike must be perfect. Show some pics of this rare find!!
Thank you, I will. I pick it up the 12/26 in FL

Unless I walk away from it after a test ride. But I doubt it.

The pictures on the ad show all kinds of tasty bits. There has to be some story about this bike but first I want to buy it before bragging about it! It's a 2005 Red bike but has the Desmosidici style rear tail section on it which first got my attention. Drop dead gorgeous it is!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Test ride OK… but much after that, not OK.

Because you live in florida, don't bother warming up the engine to change the oil. That will help you get every drop out of it and start clean.

Change belts ASAP and be very careful marking everything.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Trust me get the belts replaced or you might be doing this.
http://www.ducati.org/forums/how-tos/61680-rebuilding-2012-848-evo-engine.html
Failed belt results
Just read your belt breaking thread and I was wondering how you cooked your motor. Sorry to hear that.

Just an FYI for anyone reading this: I had new cycle works belts installed by a mechanic and adjusted correctly and when the bike was given back I had kept the belt covers off and put them back on myself. I could then check the belt tension and verify everything looked good. And it did. All looked great.

I forgot all about them and then after about 10 track days and 1500 km maybe less I noticed all kinds of black dust coming out of the covers!!! When I took the covers off the belts were all loose floppy and covered in worn rubber dust from them rubbing on the sides of the rollers. I was pretty surprised and cleaned up everything and then retightened the belts slightly till they were snug and then ran another 4-5 track days. Then I opened the bike back up and replaced the belts and checked the valves. The retightened belts looked OK and had no further wear which was good at least.

I used new Fuji nuts with the new cycle-works belts and tightened them myself using the old method of common god damn sense and my plan now is to look at these belts again after just a track day or two as I think these suckers will loosen and stretch out and I'm not going to trust them now that I see that they do this. And I'm using thread lock when tightening the nuts on the adjusters...

Haven't heard of anyone complaining about stretching belts but my adjusters had not moved and both belts were the same tension and wearing into black dust and hairs...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The Cycle Works belts are slightly wider and don't have the same size tooth as the Ducati belts. You can take a set of calipers and measure yourself. This is why they make more noise AND why they need to "bed in" properly. I've installed a few CA Cycleworks belts and had issues with noise and stretching from day one. That's when I took my calipers out, measured them and found the differences. Not to say they can't/won't work, just they aren't as set it and forget it as the Ducati OEM belts.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Just read your belt breaking thread and I was wondering how you cooked your motor. Sorry to hear that.

Just an FYI for anyone reading this: I had new cycle works belts installed by a mechanic and adjusted correctly and when the bike was given back I had kept the belt covers off and put them back on myself. I could then check the belt tension and verify everything looked good. And it did. All looked great.

I forgot all about them and then after about 10 track days and 1500 km maybe less I noticed all kinds of black dust coming out of the covers!!! When I took the covers off the belts were all loose floppy and covered in worn rubber dust from them rubbing on the sides of the rollers. I was pretty surprised and cleaned up everything and then retightened the belts slightly till they were snug and then ran another 4-5 track days. Then I opened the bike back up and replaced the belts and checked the valves. The retightened belts looked OK and had no further wear which was good at least.

I used new Fuji nuts with the new cycle-works belts and tightened them myself using the old method of common god damn sense and my plan now is to look at these belts again after just a track day or two as I think these suckers will loosen and stretch out and I'm not going to trust them now that I see that they do this. And I'm using thread lock when tightening the nuts on the adjusters...

Haven't heard of anyone complaining about stretching belts but my adjusters had not moved and both belts were the same tension and wearing into black dust and hairs...
Exactly why I bought the Kurvy Girl fasteners so I can get the fairings of easy to check the belts :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts