Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IN 1968 I owned a 250 Monza Grey tank Wide Case I used it to travel to My work for 6 months and University daily an average of 90mile return trip then its wheels never stopped on weekends I averaged 500 miles massing up 14,000 miles in the short time I owned it. NOV 10 that year today is the anniversary of that day! I was hit by an oncoming vehicle that skidded into my path at very high speed obviously I survived! in pain Ever since now 46 years on. Still having restorative surgery. I never regretted the time on the bike or the fun I had making cops chase me home. and the 3 113 MPH speeding tickets it achieved NO it ws Stock. Wide Case With a very distinctive note to the exhaust unlike any other Bike of the era.
I do not remember the tech details BUt I do know it had a 6 SPED transmission NOT 5 4 or other. I am seeking to find its Matching bike to purchase and in my search I do not Find a 6 speed transmission on any I have seen only 5 speeds . I know the six speed was correct!
I know it busted the balls of those cops trying to catch me at over 100 MPH I also know It would top 40 MPH in First Gear at 7000 RPM. THe gear was so tall at Red line 8500 it was close to 60 MPH and I was never able to Pull a wheelie with it . never beat another bike off the line but aftger 5 mph not even a 1968 Kawasaki 400 ninja could catch me. My Friend raced me to UBC each morning down marine drive. He never won. I was once chased thru the Dees tunnel by a Grey hound Bus with my Gal on the pillion up hill on a 5% grade at 87 mph 2 up really sucked for power.
MY Parking lot friend had a 66 Mach 3 With Desmo ignition a the Exhaust note were identical and I maxed out 10 mph faster than his 5 speed trans would peddle. My First Gear was Taller. He could pull Wheelies in 3 Gears. Mine had Glue on the front wheel.

Problem is MY story is not substantiated by tech facts I read from Ducati manuals or other sources.
NO 6 speed trans mission, 85 MPH on Flat ground with 1 150 pound rider no wind; is max speed most say 80 MPH.
My Bike fitted with a Factory 110 MPH speedo was this an ODD BALL ?
Did it have the Desmondotronic ignition system ? It was a wide Case so I expect it was a BEVEL.
I have Agonized about these discrepancies for over 20 years. My only conclusion is Gear ratios the rear Cogs may have been mistakenly switched speed and Performance characteristics seem to indicate this? Despite this I still Want to obtain one in condition as a daily rider. All I did was put Gas into the damn thing and replace the Chain for one made of descent steel.
Peter
Most of my body was fractured or cut in that head on. Point of impact on my Shoulder of the road dead center of his grill! Somewhat clear cut! Peter

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
All the singles had points ignition.

Only the 450's were desmo, the others had valve springs albeit those oddball torsion springs.

All the ducs back then used a bevel drive for the cams.

Speedos were quite optimistic. I worked on one last year and at about 50 it indicated 80.

·
Registered
438 Posts
"Speedos were quite optimistic. I worked on one last year and at about 50 it indicated 80 '.[/QUOTE]

In 1968-69 Triumph came out with a 10Krpm tach and 160 mph speedometer on a 650cc 4 speed.. So yeah optimistic is right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.