Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few fixes for the hot ass syndrome that our bikes have, while i feel that ceramic coating the exhaust is the best start, i am riding the bike daily and dont want to waste my last days of good weather on having the bike disassembled in the garage, so i set out to make a few heat shields cut out of sheet aluminum. I had a friend powdercoat them gloss black, and then wrapped them in DEI gold heat reflective foil. my next step will be to add a few layers of insulation under the seat foam, and then under the seat itself. here are some pics of the shields though.

Does anyone else have any good ideas to combat this?
Upgraded water pump is also on the list.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
This seems like a lot of trouble to go to, but good luck with it. These bikes do get hot in traffic - there's no getting around that.

But travelling in cooler conditions they can run too cool, and not get off the cold-running circuit, so be aware of that before changing the water pump.

The best modification for reducing the 'hot seat syndrome' is to replace the exhaust, and eliminate (or disable) the EXUP valve. Replacing the catalytic mufflers reduces heat build-up.

I don't have too much trouble with mine (with a full Termi system) and we have lengthy periods of 100F + here in summer. But I tend to avoid heavy traffic where I can.

The other area to think about is the temperature at which the fans cut in. They don't start until 106 -107C which is a little high to me.

Some have fitted a manual switch, but this has the drawback of being easily forgotten. And some alternative ECUs (like Microtec or Nemesis) allow you to reset this cut-in temperature, so they may be worth considering if you change your exhaust.

You will need a different ECU if you alter the exhaust significantly. If you free up the exhaust without adapting the tuning it will run too lean, and get even hotter.

I believe the factory could have fitted a more comprehensive switching system for the fans, such as having a speed component as well as just the engine temperature.

If the fans cut in at, say, 100C or 105C when the bike was doing less than, say, 30 MPH the engine temperature wouldn't get quite so high.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention I already gutted the stock exhaust and cut the cans ~5 inches. I also put on the servobuddy, and deleted the EXUP valve. Im not worried about how hot the bike is, my old R1 and my friends 1000rr run much hotter then the Duc, Im just tying to keep the heat off of me. I live right on the border of mexico, so summers are 110+ for 3-4 months.

Also, I talked to the guy who powdercoated these for me, he said he can knock out 10 or 20 kits if anyone was interested i could set up a group buy or something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
carbon fibre slip-ons, of any brand, will be your best friend here. even after you gut/chop the stock cans, they still retain a lot of heat. my bike felt hotter with gutted stock cans in the middle of winter (~10C) than it did with Termi's in the middle of summer (30C+).

i would also, then, look at flashing your ecu with a more appropriate tune. if you go the JPDiag route, you can also change the "fan on" temps (mine are set at 90 instead of 104).

just my 2c

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be doing a power commander V soon. I already have it just need to get a custom map. I will probably be gold wrapping that whole under-tail section eventually.

Carbon cans! I fully agree. My friends 848 has the Zard cans and they do feel much cooler after a ride. I would like to get a full Akra system and ceramic coat the metal parts. I can stand how long the Akra cans are though, I will probably cut them. Depends on my budget with Christmas coming up.

Also, the coolant is a great tip. I am running Bell Motochill and the stuff is amazing. Not cheap at all but i run it in all my bikes/dirtbikes and quad.

I would argue that with the heat shields and coolant the bike already runs cooler then with stock cans.

Also, in the winter i already block off the bottom 1/3 of the rad because it does run too cool on the highway and never gets up to operating temp. If i'm right on the 848 it is 140F before the fuel map is normal? anything less and gas mileage goes to shit.

On a side note, i was reading fast bikes and had to chuckle when they mentioned their 1199 was racking up miles with 1650 after only 1 year of riding. ive put 16000 on my evo in 9 months.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Good work on getting those miles up in a year.

It sounds like you are 'on top of things'. Fairly Australian temperature range down there on the border.

Not a big fan of 'piggyback' tuning modules, but good luck with it. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've never understood the whole heat thing complaint. I know the OEM cans become nuclear in no time but I've had slip-ons for so long I guess I don't notice. Now, if it's 90-100+ degrees and I'm sitting at a light and already roasting, then everything feels too hot. I don't get excessive heat from my bike I guess.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is the acceptable low temp? I have a 848 EVO and it runs 140* F often .
i think it is 140.

90-100 degrees it gets toasty, but at 110 or 115 everyday all summer here. the faring bolts will burn your legs and the heat coming off the exhaust gets so hot in traffic it is unbarable. my bike has actually shut off in traffic before.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
There's an exhaust system in the for sale section that's right up your alley. Ceramic coated w/carbon Termis. :naughty:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have seen a few fixes for the hot ass syndrome that our bikes have, while i feel that ceramic coating the exhaust is the best start, i am riding the bike daily and dont want to waste my last days of good weather on having the bike disassembled in the garage, so i set out to make a few heat shields cut out of sheet aluminum. I had a friend powdercoat them gloss black, and then wrapped them in DEI gold heat reflective foil. my next step will be to add a few layers of insulation under the seat foam, and then under the seat itself. here are some pics of the shields though.

Does anyone else have any good ideas to combat this?
Upgraded water pump is also on the list.
nice! I've spent some time out at WSMR so I can appreciate the summer heat. I used to wash it all away with beer from Pecan Grill, man I miss that place.

I live in Florida where it is either hot or rainy. On the hot days I day dream about something like this and found some inspiration in this diy project.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice! I've spent some time out at WSMR so I can appreciate the summer heat. I used to wash it all away with beer from Pecan Grill, man I miss that place.

I live in Florida where it is either hot or rainy. On the hot days I day dream about something like this and found some inspiration in this diy project.
Ive had good times at WSMR, but many hot days too. Pecan grill's beers are still tasty. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts