Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday that my 1098 has a battery tender like connection ont he left hand side coming out of the left side of the bike. What is that for? I searched the manual and it didnt say what it was for.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
cronn,

that "battery tender like connection" you see is just that: a battery tender lead. it's not mentioned in the manual because it's not put on by ducati. some dealerships, (mine, and apparently, yours included), install a battery tender lead on the battery prior to delivery as a courtesy. use it and your battery will always be fully charged.

Elton

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! I didnt want to connect it and then later find thats something else and end up frying it :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Speaking of things not listed in the manual. I've started up my "s" a few times since taking possession (haven't been able to ride it yet due to $%@%$ weather). I notice the red flashing light every few seconds. Does anyone know what it means? I'm sure it's not a problem, it just doesn't mention it in the manual.

:mad:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smeelge said:
Speaking of things not listed in the manual. I've started up my "s" a few times since taking possession (haven't been able to ride it yet due to $%@%$ weather). I notice the red flashing light every few seconds. Does anyone know what it means? I'm sure it's not a problem, it just doesn't mention it in the manual.

:mad:
Smeelge thats the immobolizer system. You'll see that flashing whent he bike is off kinda like an alarm flashing light.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
cronn said:
Smeelge thats the immobolizer system. You'll see that flashing whent he bike is off kinda like an alarm flashing light.
Thanks Cronn.

After reading the numerous problems being reported with 1098's stalling I decided to pull mine out of the garage and start her up. It was a good idea as I couldn't beleive how much condensation had formed on the bike while sitting under the canvas.

So, I figured if I start her up and let her idle and monitor as she comes to maximum temperature (which was 103 degrees celcious, converts to 217 Farenheit) that if it would stall if it's one of the problematic ones. Now, I know this isn't a true test and it won't be until I ride for a few hours and I'm a several hundred KM's in, but that test will have to wait til mid May as I have no choice in the matter.

I found during it's idling that it dips every now and then but doesn't stall. It idles at just over 1000 (actually 1 bar past 1K, sometime it blips to 2 bars for a split second). So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And oh, for those who may be wondering, I have the full 70mm system installed.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
tbeard said:
I had mine on a battery tender all night and it wont start today. I think I have bigger problems.
Yikes! Keep us posted.

Sure are a lot of problems floating around. :mad:

Jason

·
Registered
187 Posts
smeelge said:
Thanks Cronn.

After reading the numerous problems being reported with 1098's stalling I decided to pull mine out of the garage and start her up. It was a good idea as I couldn't beleive how much condensation had formed on the bike while sitting under the canvas.

So, I figured if I start her up and let her idle and monitor as she comes to maximum temperature (which was 103 degrees celcious, converts to 217 Farenheit) that if it would stall if it's one of the problematic ones. Now, I know this isn't a true test and it won't be until I ride for a few hours and I'm a several hundred KM's in, but that test will have to wait til mid May as I have no choice in the matter.

I found during it's idling that it dips every now and then but doesn't stall. It idles at just over 1000 (actually 1 bar past 1K, sometime it blips to 2 bars for a split second). So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And oh, for those who may be wondering, I have the full 70mm system installed.

From what I have read and heard the new exhaust/ECU fixes the stalling problem. The tech at my dealer told me they take out the O2 sensor when the do the upgrade and the new ECU is fully programable so they are able to tweak the bike and make it run perfect. I want the full termi system but it seems wrong to spend approx 3k on something to fix an existing problem. I want the bike to work correctly before I spend any more money on it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
During the break in period I have really been babying the bike and it appears that I have not been running it at a high enough RPM to charge the battery. I think that after all the draining/charging of the thing I have damaged it and it now wont hold a charge great enough to start the bike. I guess I need to run the thing higher than 5K RPM to charge the battery. You live and you learn.

·
Registered
166 Posts
tbeard said:
During the break in period I have really been babying the bike and it appears that I have not been running it at a high enough RPM to charge the battery. I think that after all the draining/charging of the thing I have damaged it and it now wont hold a charge great enough to start the bike. I guess I need to run the thing higher than 5K RPM to charge the battery. You live and you learn.
I'm not so sure about your conclusion. My 'S' charges ~14.2v at idle. This is the first Duc I've ever owned that charges more like a car...if the engine is running, it's charging! Not really dependent on high revs to create the voltage.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
full termi system

tbeard said:
From what I have read and heard the new exhaust/ECU fixes the stalling problem. The tech at my dealer told me they take out the O2 sensor when the do the upgrade and the new ECU is fully programable so they are able to tweak the bike and make it run perfect. I want the full termi system but it seems wrong to spend approx 3k on something to fix an existing problem. I want the bike to work correctly before I spend any more money on it.
tbeard,

you're not paying 3K to fix an existing problem; you're paying 3K to have the exhaust Ducati intended for the 1098. the stock exhaust is designed to pass emission and noise regs, not to make your bike run right. the termi exhaust is 70mm, no O2 sensor, no catalytic converter, no butterfly valve, a high-flow air filter, and a dedicated ECU. the "stock" exhaust is smaller mm pipe, has an O2 sensor, butterfly valve, and catalytic converter. it's no wonder the 1098 doesn't run right w/ the "stock" exhaust.

buy the right exhaust and your bike will run right.

Elton

·
Registered
187 Posts
mrinflux said:
tbeard,

you're not paying 3K to fix an existing problem; you're paying 3K to have the exhaust Ducati intended for the 1098. the stock exhaust is designed to pass emission and noise regs, not to make your bike run right. the termi exhaust is 70mm, no O2 sensor, no catalytic converter, no butterfly valve, a high-flow air filter, and a dedicated ECU. the "stock" exhaust is smaller mm pipe, has an O2 sensor, butterfly valve, and catalytic converter. it's no wonder the 1098 doesn't run right w/ the "stock" exhaust.

buy the right exhaust and your bike will run right.

Elton
I understand what you are saying but my point is the bike should run as is. For this kind of money I expect it to work. There should have been more testing done before they released the bike. I also realize that with any new model of anything there can be "growing pains". I just want Ducati to make it work. I love the riding the bike when I can but this is really making it hard since it is stuck in my garage and won't start.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
tbeard,

No, i disagree. the bike shouldn't run "as is". that's not the exhaust for the bike. that's just a throw-away exhuast ducati put on the bike to get it through customs. your 1098 is not whole until you put the termi on.

we all got a deal on the '07 1098. we all figured there had to be a catch. well, here it is. the 1098 costs another 3Ks to make it complete.

This is not due to lack of testing. Ducati did tons of testing. all of it w/ a full termi exhaust on it!!!! they didn't test the bike w/ the exhaust you have because they don't intend for you to have that exhaust. why would ducati test a bike w/ an exhaust that's not made for the bike?

The japanese are different. they make a bike w/ an exhaust that passes emissions and noise regs, and works. ducati doesn't. so you ask, "then why doesn't ducati build the bike w/ an exhaust that passes emissions/noise regs, and works?!! because if they did, it wouldn't be the 160hp at the rear wheel, (w/ the termi), beast it is.

If you think about it, what ducati did is very clever. they essentially got around customs/inspections regs. if you wanted a tamer bike you wouldn't have bought the 1098. we all bought the 1098 because we wanted the most bad-assed, sexiest sport bike we could buy. So ducati made it, and then packaged it in a way to so we could could get it on the street. would you rather ducati had designed the bike around the tamer exhaust and then left it to aftermarket guys to try and figure out a better exhaust? I'm more comfortable having ducati design my ducati instead of arrow and power commander.

I say, "thank you ducati for designing my 1098 w/ a full termi system and then selling it to me in a way that allows me to have this non street legal exhaust system on my bike!!"

buy the rest of your bike. you'll feel better for it.

peace, elton

·
Registered
187 Posts
mrinflux said:
tbeard,

No, i disagree. the bike shouldn't run "as is". that's not the exhaust for the bike. that's just a throw-away exhuast ducati put on the bike to get it through customs. your 1098 is not whole until you put the termi on.

we all got a deal on the '07 1098. we all figured there had to be a catch. well, here it is. the 1098 costs another 3Ks to make it complete.

This is not due to lack of testing. Ducati did tons of testing. all of it w/ a full termi exhaust on it!!!! they didn't test the bike w/ the exhaust you have because they don't intend for you to have that exhaust. why would ducati test a bike w/ an exhaust that's not made for the bike?

The japanese are different. they make a bike w/ an exhaust that passes emissions and noise regs, and works. ducati doesn't. so you ask, "then why doesn't ducati build the bike w/ an exhaust that passes emissions/noise regs, and works?!! because if they did, it wouldn't be the 160hp at the rear wheel, (w/ the termi), beast it is.

If you think about it, what ducati did is very clever. they essentially got around customs/inspections regs. if you wanted a tamer bike you wouldn't have bought the 1098. we all bought the 1098 because we wanted the most bad-assed, sexiest sport bike we could buy. So ducati made it, and then packaged it in a way to so we could could get it on the street. would you rather ducati had designed the bike around the tamer exhaust and then left it to aftermarket guys to try and figure out a better exhaust? I'm more comfortable having ducati design my ducati instead of arrow and power commander.

I say, "thank you ducati for designing my 1098 w/ a full termi system and then selling it to me in a way that allows me to have this non street legal exhaust system on my bike!!"

buy the rest of your bike. you'll feel better for it.

peace, elton

I see your point and I can even go so far as to say I agree with it. I just wish I knew this up front. I guess it is my own fault for not doing the proper research prior to ordering the bike. I'm sure I'm one of the few, if not the only one that would say, "The bike has more power than I will ever need or use". That being said if it were a little tamer and worked out of the box I would be happier. Thanks for your input. I will most likely get the full termi system. That way I can go from zero to arrested a few seconds faster.

Trey

·
Registered
337 Posts
As you can see from Mrinflux's stable, he has had prior experience with Ducati ownership. Unfortunately, it appears that many 1098 purchasers have had no experience with "Exotic" ownership, much less Ducati ownership.

The complaints about "Getting it right" and "it should be trouble free for $****" are the same ones that 1st time buyers of Ferraris, Lambos, even older Porsches have been making for years.

Exotics have "Personality" BECAUSE OF, they are quirky. The 916 had 'problems' in one form or another through its entire production run, because the goal was performance, not "give me something that is trouble free and easy to maintain".

If we really and truly wanted trouble free, we'd all buy Honda Civics. But instead we buy Corvettes with no luggage space, or a 348 that has to have the entire engine pulled out just to do a valve adjustment.

Triple 9 owners had problems too - though some don't seem to want to admit it - and that bike was several $$$ more.

Its an exotic. Problem free is spelled Honda. But remember the complaint there is always the same -- "the Honda is a great bike but lacks the personality of the Ducati, MV, Moto Morini ...."

·
Registered
370 Posts
mine didn't cost that much. My full system termi is $2369 includes the installation by the dealer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well there is a difference between "Personality" and having issues. "Personality" is the sound of the engine, the exhaust note, the dry clutch and to some extent the uncomfortable riding position.

We buy these because they are high performance and that doesnt mean you have to deal with problems then chalk it up as personility. Thats like saying yeah it burns 1 quart of oil every time I take her out but by God she has personality. Or yeah she leaves me stranded every other time and I have to have it towed home but you gotta expect that with this type of exotic bike.... Umm Sorry NO. If anything it should surpass the quality of a plain ole Honda.

Its the same mentality of some Harley owners, yeah but its a HARLEY!! Yeah well have fun with it in the shop or on the side of the road.

I'm fully expecting these issues to be resolved in a few weeks time. Its a new model bike so I expected quirks. If not then I'll sell the bike and pick up something else I know is realiable and and still is fun. There is no way I'm going to live with it dying on me and leaving me stranded just beause it says Ducati on the tank... I'm not an elitest, I'm a rider and I'd rather be riding X bike than pushing Y bike on the side of the road.

My dealer has been great so far so I have full confidence it will be cleared up at the 600 mile service. For reference on my 4 mile ride to work today it died three times....

·
Registered
60 Posts
cronn said:
Well there is a difference between "Personality" and having issues. "Personality" is the sound of the engine, the exhaust note, the dry clutch and to some extent the uncomfortable riding position.

We buy these because they are high performance and that doesnt mean you have to deal with problems then chalk it up as personility. Thats like saying yeah it burns 1 quart of oil every time I take her out but by God she has personality. Or yeah she leaves me stranded every other time and I have to have it towed home but you gotta expect that with this type of exotic bike.... Umm Sorry NO. If anything it should surpass the quality of a plain ole Honda.

Its the same mentality of some Harley owners, yeah but its a HARLEY!! Yeah well have fun with it in the shop or on the side of the road.

I'm fully expecting these issues to be resolved in a few weeks time. Its a new model bike so I expected quirks. If not then I'll sell the bike and pick up something else I know is realiable and and still is fun. There is no way I'm going to live with it dying on me and leaving me stranded just beause it says Ducati on the tank... I'm not an elitest, I'm a rider and I'd rather be riding X bike than pushing Y bike on the side of the road.

My dealer has been great so far so I have full confidence it will be cleared up at the 600 mile service. For reference on my 4 mile ride to work today it died three times....

Here Here!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts