Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some info...
Im stationed in germany and took my 2008 1098 to a mechanic to get the timing belts replaced at about 7300 miles. After picking up the bike it started riding a little rough. So i brought it back and there saying it could be the crank shaft or bearings. When they did the belts could they have messed something up that would cause problems like this? Let me know if anyone has been through or has knowledge about this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If all they did was the belts then I'm wondering if they got it one tooth off somewhere. I also wonder if there is a connector they might have forgotten to hook back up when putting the bike back together. Its worth taking the bodywork off and taking a look....

If your bearings are going out, you would hear a terrible noise coming from the motor, and I'm not sure how a crank shaft would go bad, unless it snapped (which would be terminal).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Oil service related issues or contamination are the only connections I can think of. However, there are many other reasons that the engine may be running rough. How do they know that it is a crank bearing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They said that's what they think. They're not sure yet. It sucks because the location I'm at in Germany doesn't have many Ducati certified mechanics or any Ducati dealers. My duc has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks now. I just wanted to know if it was a problem they created then by German law they have to fix it. Since I'm not a mechanic they could be giving me the run around you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They drained my oil and didn't seeing any metal shavings so I guess that's why they said maybe the bearings or shaft... Idk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pull the cam belt covers and check the tension and see if the alignment marks jive. Not that hard to do and figure out if you're not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Did they check the valves ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts