Ducati.org forum banner

1098 Engine Removal

11K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Cooperville 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I am looking to remove my engine, and need some advice on how to go about it. After I pull out the exhaust, I think it should be ready. I currently just have the ducati rear stand, what type of front stand should i get for this job and do I need any other type of stands or engine hoists as I dont have anything to strap the bike to the ceiling.

#3 ·
Front stands are fairly cheap and very useful. Make the investment you will not be sorry.
That being said the engine removal isn't bad. I made a. Engine stand with 2x4's and placed it under the motor so when all is disconnected and engine bolts removed I could move the frame away and then access the motor easily. At that point put it on your work hence and your good to go.

#4 · (Edited)
Suspending it makes taking the forks and the swing arm off easy. Then you lower it to cradle and let the motor sit on it (4 wheel dolly from HF works great). Then just unbolt the frame from the engine. I know I have a lift but lots of guys will use rafters or two very sturdy ladders.

Attachments

#8 ·
And oil cooler...and any other wires that might still be hooked up.

Doing that inside on carpet though...yikes! Hope you have a forgiving wife for when you spill fluids all over the carpet.:eek:

#7 ·
Tchase obviously wins, but most people won't have access to a lift. If all you're doing is taking the engine out and then putting it or another back in, you'll have to lift the engine up through the frame. Need to support it on the bottom first so you can unbolt it from the frame, then find a way to lift it up. Might need another set of hands to help you out.

When I took mine out, I was parting out the bike and since I already had everything off, and I was down to just the frame and engine, it was easier for me to just support the engine from the bottom, unbolt it, and then simply lift the frame off the engine.

#9 ·
Not about winning but using two free standing ladders or rafters has proven to be an effective. The lift actually really helps when putting it back in just bolt the frame on then level up for swing arm and then the forks. If he is swapping I would recommend the ladders as it will help, stands tend to get in the way.

#16 ·
1198 Piston Blowout.

I suspended the frame just forward of the Tail Cover, front wheel on the stand which then stabalises everything. Then I took the rear wheel off, then it was easy to refit the swing arm.
BTW...I'm just finishing a rebuild of the 1198 engine after having the timing belt slip .... with a passenger and doing 160kph... broke the top half of horizontal piston off and shatered the rings into a shrapnel, bent the timing lay shaft. Vertical learning curve.
While I was at it I replaced the clutch, new timing belts... doh! Complete service, checked and set the valve clearance.... oh... and a new screw on the side stand!
Dealer price quoted €7,000... cost me all up just over €2,000
I have developed some respect for these magnificent machines.
Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.