Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Anyone had the rear hub out for maintenance?
Are the bearing in the hub able to be cleaned and regreased? Or are they a sealed type bearing that can only be replaced and not serviced?
Pretty sure one or more of the bearings in there are a Ducati special and not easy to get hold of.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Most of what you have said is correct. I only changed the bearings in there as I changed over to the RAM swing-arm and the magnesium eccentric.

The factory seem reluctant to allow us to go in there for some reason, but if you have done this type of work, and have access to a press, it is quite straightforward. Just make sure the eccentric housing is warm before you start, and it all goes easily.

There is a roller bearing on the LHS, which could use a lube after - say - 30,000 miles. This bearing is readily available for not too much; its SKF number is RNA 4910.2RS.

The other is a bit harder.. It is a double-row bearing, with one outer case and two inners. It appears to be a 'special', made to spec for Ducati. It cost me a lot - I forget exactly, but I seem to remember over $150.

The tough part is that SKF will only supply them in batches of 25.. Its SKF part number is BAH-0175.

Fortunately my bearing supplier was able to source me one through someone in the UK (who had obviously bought the 25) and could supply me one.

Unfortunately I don't have a name for this character, but I can give you the name of the (Australian) business who sourced mine if you want. Shoot me a PM if you want to pursue this.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Pat.
I only asked because when I was having the valve clearances done the tech mentioned that he had seen some hubs with swarf in there, which he thought may have gotten in from some sort of post assembly machining of the swingarm. He also said that the grease in some hubs he had seen looked a bit ordinary as well.
I got thinking about this and wondered if the bearings are sealed or needle roller types and if it was really worth pulling apart, especially if the bearings are of the sealed type. If I can't pull them apart, clean and regrease them maybe not much point going to all the trouble of pulling it all apart.
What do ya think?

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I'm at the part where should def be looking at my rear hub bearings as I just rolled over 80,000K. I had the hub apart a long while ago and greased but that was it. I looked in to changing the bearings and as Pat has pointed out, that one bearing is super expensive and has to be brought in. I hoped on Ebay and can pick up a lightly used rear hub complete with bearings for around $200. No pressing or sweating necessary.

I love those people who lightly use their Ducati's then write em off in a tip over!!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes, you can grease the LHS roller bearing by just removing the axle. You won't need to remove any internal parts.

A close inspection of the axle surface will give you an idea how things are travelling in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of what you have said is correct. I only changed the bearings in there as I changed over to the RAM swing-arm and the magnesium eccentric.

The factory seem reluctant to allow us to go in there for some reason, but if you have done this type of work, and have access to a press, it is quite straightforward. Just make sure the eccentric housing is warm before you start, and it all goes easily.

There is a roller bearing on the LHS, which could use a lube after - say - 30,000 miles. This bearing is readily available for not too much; its SKF number is RNA 4910.2RS.

The other is a bit harder.. It is a double-row bearing, with one outer case and two inners. It appears to be a 'special', made to spec for Ducati. It cost me a lot - I forget exactly, but I seem to remember over $150.

The tough part is that SKF will only supply them in batches of 25.. Its SKF part number is BAH-0175.

Fortunately my bearing supplier was able to source me one through someone in the UK (who had obviously bought the 25) and could supply me one.

Unfortunately I don't have a name for this character, but I can give you the name of the (Australian) business who sourced mine if you want. Shoot me a PM if you want to pursue this.
Hi, new here, are these bearing part numbers for the 1098?, I assume they are the same as the 848?
Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts