Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wouldn't ride with an ordinary rucksack. It would be bulging and sliding and dragging and getting caught all over the place. But the Kriega (and probably a few other brands) is a different sort. It's more like a parachute harness than a rucksack. Everything is very tight and compact. It zips right up your chest like a jacket over your leathers. Unless you pack something stupid inside, I don't see how it could become a hazard.

Hi,

Those panniers are fuel tanks for the cannonball run...

I've been riding sports bikes flat out through europe for decades, I just can't see how you can ride at 100mph + all day on backroads with a rucksack on, you must be knackered (very, very tired in UK language). How do you hang off and drag your knee? how do you ride the canyons fast with rucksacks and tank bags? I need to be free to move around and tuck behind the screen... You guys must be fitter than me... god, the thought of a rucksack on my back..... and the thought of crashing with a rucksack especially those hard panelled ones... eek!

Jamie

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm keeping my eye open for some small side bags. When we hit the canyons we tend to be out for a few hours and the extra storage is welcomed. Versatility is the key. I ride 38mi to work each night/day, often times the wx is very different from home to work and etc. So having some storage is essential, for now I just modded a tail bag to bolt onto a spare seat, holds all the wet gear, tools, water, Rockstar etc..but can popped off with the key so track time is quick as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hi,

Those panniers are fuel tanks for the cannonball run...

I've been riding sports bikes flat out through europe for decades, I just can't see how you can ride at 100mph + all day on backroads with a rucksack on, you must be knackered (very, very tired in UK language). How do you hang off and drag your knee? how do you ride the canyons fast with rucksacks and tank bags? I need to be free to move around and tuck behind the screen... You guys must be fitter than me... god, the thought of a rucksack on my back..... and the thought of crashing with a rucksack especially those hard panelled ones... eek!

Jamie

I have had no problem with a top box on the back and doing stupid speeds or through the twisties. The only problem with wearing a back pack is that you will break either ribs if your lucky or you back if you come off. The hump on your back is bad in a crash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Humpo
Good point on the potential for injury. Suspect much of that could also be relative to the weight and shape of the load. Same for the trunk/rear case. Your simpler setup here vs. the rack setups and some of the really huge packs seems sensible in that you don't need to spend much and you can somewhat control looks by using an even smaller bag.
Any pics on your mounts?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Humpo, very nice setup, similar to what I did with my soft Oxford Hump Pack pictured above, although I was lazier and just found a used pillion seat to cut n drill mount through :) I might be on the prowl for a used Givi now, good post.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
21 Posts
my touring bags on homemade bracket

I was determined to fatten her up for the trip! 1200 miles on stocker seat.. not bad, but sargent would be nice. Tracbars saved me though and a butt buffer. false neutral after 5th is a pain, no matter how positive you shift, it happens from time to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
1098 luggage for long haul

custom made. solid. works great. removeable, easy to make. suspended away from fairing on all sides by 1/2 inch. keeps soft bags straight and neat looking. does not flap. 1/2 tinted lexan, braced with custom brackets off muffler hanger bolts. questions can email me at [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Using this thread as an inspiration, here's what I ended up with. I'm quite happy with the results.

I ordered the new Givi E300B White topcase from my local dealer.
I then bought a used pillion seat online, removed the padding, and mounted the Givi base plate to it as shown in this thread. When test fitting, I noticed that while not touching, the base plate came very close to the bodywork, so I decided to cut a sheet of 1/4" plastic down to size using the pillion seat as a template in order to have the baseplate sit a little further away from the bodywork.

I use my bike almost exclusively in the summer months. This topcase will come in handy for running errands, groceries, and those long trips. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
dimond dave, u should change your handle to coal dave

shame,shame,shame

:mad:

·
Registered
677 Posts
diamond dave, its no crime except one is a barvarian air compressor :D

·
Registered
12,889 Posts
I have 2 Ducs, 3 Gixxers and one Yamaha. I tour on the 848. It's a ton of fun. Saddle bags and a middle bag and I'm good for a week or more. I tend to scout out nice places to ride, stay some where for a couple of days to ride all the roads I've previously chosen and carry my solo cowl with me so I can ditch all the bags and go have some fun.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts