Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on Ducati's site that they are now increasing the amount of time/mileage between service intervals which should help reduce costs of ownership. Anyone know off hand or have the service chart handy to see how often the expensive services will need to be done?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
7500 is what MV recomends on their machines which is really nice, and to see Ducati coming around to those numbers is even better!

·
Registered
23 Posts
what do they actually do @ 600 and 7500 miles? I mean it's an over head cam and that means there really can't be any valve rod adjustment required. I could see if it had like solid lifters or something of that nature (like on an 0ld v8) but it doesn't.... it's fuel injected and ohc...???? anyone know? DucatiGuy? any clue? You seem to be one of the more knowledgable people on this site. (no offense to any hard core bike tuners that just don't post lol. )????

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
600 miles, oil change
7500 miles,oil change check and/or adjust valves. check timing belts tension.
Its a Desmo, Please read about it. It makes us so much cooler then other bikers.$$$
Ted

·
Registered
100 Posts
jpiwko said:
what do they actually do @ 600 and 7500 miles? I mean it's an over head cam and that means there really can't be any valve rod adjustment required. I could see if it had like solid lifters or something of that nature (like on an 0ld v8) but it doesn't.... it's fuel injected and ohc...???? anyone know? DucatiGuy? any clue? You seem to be one of the more knowledgable people on this site. (no offense to any hard core bike tuners that just don't post lol. )????
Your right, there are no"valve rod adjustments" cause there arent any rods. There are also no valve springs(or lifters, for that matter). What you have is 2 "rockers", one to open the valve and one to close the valve. That's what makes the Ducati so unique and also what makes it imperative that the valves be adjusted by someone who knows what they're doing. Also, as you might guess, this mechanical system has very tight and precise tolerances, hence the need for checking the valve so frequently vs. some Japanese machines that specify adjusting the valves every 18,000-20,000 miles.

BTW, what unit were you with in Hawaii. I was with the 118th and with the 3/4 Cav, Aircraft Maintenance Officer and Cobra/Huey pilot.
Thanks for doing what you're doing in Iraq; be safe and get home so you can enjoy that new bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey Paul I am in 2nd Regiment 25 Combat Aviation Brigade. I work on the UH-60L (black hawks). I am a 15T black hawk CE. I am in the process of going warrant. I submitted my packet and I await a verdict. We have flown over 18,000 hrs since deployed! Before this I was in 2nd Infantry Division 2nd regiment 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade in South Korea.

I understand the importance of precision (working with aircraft and all) but, I am just wondering if these are more so redundant type insp's just make up for faulty equipment and craftsmanship. Keep in mind I already am very locked in a Ducati and in no way shape or form am I saying it's a bad product just curious is all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like we have a few military guys here!
I'm over at Campbell getting ready to pcs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
jpiwko said:
hey Paul I am in 2nd Regiment 25 Combat Aviation Brigade. I work on the UH-60L (black hawks). I am a 15T black hawk CE. I am in the process of going warrant. I submitted my packet and I await a verdict. We have flown over 18,000 hrs since deployed! Before this I was in 2nd Infantry Division 2nd regiment 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade in South Korea.

I understand the importance of precision (working with aircraft and all) but, I am just wondering if these are more so redundant type insp's just make up for faulty equipment and craftsmanship. Keep in mind I already am very locked in a Ducati and in no way shape or form am I saying it's a bad product just curious is all.
Good luck on flight school, it's definately worth it.
On the inspections, in this case it's not the craftsmanship or faulty equipment. The valve system has almost NO tolerances, if it's off it could be disastrous. You can change your own oil or adjust your own chain on a 1098, but you definately CANNOT adjust the valves. Sorry, it's the cost of admission to the Duc club. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts