Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about the idling issue in the Technical forum but since I posted i have noticed the headlight issue and am hoping the title might attract the attention of someone who has had the same issues before i pull my hair out!!
The bike:
2007 1098s with 12000 miles, just had belts, oil and filter, plugs etc. full termi exhaust system with ECU and filter
The symptoms:
Bike will start as normal and idle Ok for a minute or 2 and then will stall, it is then hard started for a few seconds before starting again when given throttle, it can run fine again for a minute and repeat this again. It also seems to always stall at lights or when coming to a stop in neutral unless revved.
At the same time I have noticed the headlight (only the headlight, parking lights, dash lights, rear light etc. stay on) will switch off for a second before coming back on, it usually goes off when revving the bike from idle, I have had a multimeter on the battery when this happens and voltage appears stable, around 14.1 volts
What I have done:
Measured the voltage which seems fine, 14.1 v at idle and no more than 14.6 v when revved which would suggest the RR is fine and charging system is healthy, battery never fails to crank the engine but I swapped it for another known good one to be sure, didn't make any difference
I cleaned all connectors around RR and checked for corrosion and sprayed WD40 contact cleaner on all connections behind headlight and under tank, all connections so far looked fine. Jiggled all connections to headlight and relay for loose connections - nothing!

So I am at a loss, next stop is bring it to a dealer but nearest one is over 2 hours away and i need the bike this weekend, any suggestions and i would be grateful?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think you need to simulate hot stop and go traffic to check the VR.
It may check okay when not too hot but may act up when really hot with no air flow.
My VR used play up with the headlight going out when really hot after stop and go traffic. Once moving and getting some air flow and things cooled down a bit everything came good until the next time with lots of traffic.
Reg from a 999 fixed it.
By the way the VR rectifier on these are a known common fault if it has not been replaced. They were replaced free of charge at the time if they acted up and there was a upgrade heat shield kit to go on the bike supplied by the factory at the time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was myself that carried out the work on the bike, nearest Ducati dealer is over 2 hours away so would like to resolve myself if possible. I have worked through all connections and grounds that are visible with tank and fairings off, and doubled up earth lead from battery. The full system and ECU were fitted by a previous owner, I'm assuming the ECU is upgraded because of the display when I turn the key. Are there any other earths that are prone to corrosion?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I had another go at this evening, the problem seems to show itself more when I play around with the cable running to the vertical cylinder coil, I'm thinking that may be the problem, bike intermittently running on 1 cylinder causing it to stall, is there any reliable way to check the coil with a multimeter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, an update on this problem in case anyone encounters this in future. After a suggestion from someone in another forum it turned out to be a loose flywheel. Was lucky as I am getting away with replacing the sprag clucth and don't have to replace the crank thankfully

1 - 9 of 9 Posts