Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK -- here's something that I would truly appreciate everyone's opinion on -- 1098 OR 1098S.

I am NOT a track rider and have no plans of doing track days. I have come across a few comments about the 1098S suspension being stiffer for the average rider and that the 1098 is more suited for everyday street riding --

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally, the S model isn't worth getting for me since I don't plan on racing the bike on the track much if any. I think the Showa suspension on the base model will be good enough for me on the streets.

Everyone is different, and even some guys will want the S even if they never see a track. You have to decide if it's worth $5K more to you or not.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Arai, what's your riding level and how aggressive are you on the street? I know guys here in So Cal that ride harder (faster) on the street than I do on the track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I would say that I am an intermediate rider -- about 45K miles and 13 years riding -- On the street I am pretty aggressive, but not insane :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined up as I saw the 1098 for the first time today. Yeah my head has been in a hole for a while. Posts seem respectable, humorous and informative. It's nice to see.

Anyway, Arai1098S...
As it has been stated above, buy the one that makes you happy. If you've got the dough, go for the "S". Not that it has even crossed your mind :) but resale / demand / exclusivity will follow the S line more so than base with all other things being equal into the future. Plus I believe the Ohlins rear can be rebuilt where the Showa can not.....you get a pretty nice suspension upgrade for the cash plus the other "intangible" benefits.

On the performance front, a more skilled rider on a better adjusted (suspension wise) machine will ride the rubber off of someone else with a rocket attached to them.

So, if I was me...but a me with more cash....
It would be the 1098S, pay or have the shop's resident track guy set up the ride height and other suspension settings to your weight specs (also if you will ride with a pass)...and keep money handy for over cautious maintenance and servicing. New gear and a nice nest egg for a track weekend / performance riding school.

Don't forget to ride it in the rain and give it a scratch the first day so you don't fark all over the place when you finally do it. Get a bigger helmet for your impending smile as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me, a fairly new rider who doesn't plan on seeing the track, I chose the standard model and will be purchasing the terminogni full exhaust system with it. As far as performance, the standard is all I'll ever need (I say this now...) and I want the exhaust to turn a few heads and give the oh-so-sweet sound of the twins justice. It's all what you can afford and if you'll actually miss the features of the S.

Anyways, my .02, Everyone have a great day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remember what some of the test riders have said about the 1098. It is way more of a bike than the old 999r. I believe just about 1% of the guys that buy a 1098 will ever ride it to it's potential. Unless you are close to an expert ridder you probably would not notice the diff between the 1098 and 1098s. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am going through the 1098 vs 1098s debate right now. I was looking to fing all the differences. From what I can see Ohlins fork/shock/steering damper, and the upgraded dash feature. For $5k, I think you can do better than the standard Ohlins fork/shock upgrading the standard model.

typically when you go to an S model, the upgrades outstrip the added cost. did I miss something here? same wheels, same exhaust, 4lbs lighter.

as a comparison, looking at Mille vs. Mille Factory the difference is forged wheels, fork, shock, steering damper, carbon fibre stuff for $4k add on.

re-sale may be another issue, but that is speculative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No one mentioned the 4 lbs less rotating mass that the lighter wheels on the S model give you... I think if you added in all the special parts, threw in $90/hour labor to install them all and whatever the added "wow" factor of owning the limited "S" version it would come out far cheaper to buy the S than to simply upgrade the standard model.

That being said, if you ride a lot of mountain roads and you constantly flick the bike back and forth you would probably notice the S doing the joba little better and easier, however I also think that 90% of riders would be no quicker on the S than the standard.

What is important to you?

LT

·
Registered
161 Posts
The S Model has different forged and machined wheels, and a CF Exaust.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't forget what most of the articles have said on this issue. The 1098 seems to be better suited to the street, while the "S" suspension is better suited for the track. That's always been my personal experience with other bikes. When you set up the suspension for the track, it's always too harsh for me on the street. Of course I ride about half as fast on the street.
I would think you need to evaluate how you're going to ride. Some guys I know would need the "S" on the street, because they treat the street like a track.

·
Registered
152 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
Don't forget what most of the articles have said on this issue. The 1098 seems to be better suited to the street, while the "S" suspension is better suited for the track. That's always been my personal experience with other bikes. When you set up the suspension for the track, it's always too harsh for me on the street. Of course I ride about half as fast on the street.
I would think you need to evaluate how you're going to ride. Some guys I know would need the "S" on the street, because they treat the street like a track.

Agree +1 :yo:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't forget, the 's' version has an 's' after the 1098. That may not make a difference to us whilst we're riding around on roads. But, it'll make a difference when it's parked up alongside a standard version. There'll be a warm contented glow inside, knowing that you have the best there is...

At 100 miles an hour, nobody will know which version your bike is, most people will have trouble spotting the Ducati badge, let alone the model number. But, at 10 miles an hour, riding down the high street, everyone will know what it is!

Shallow, I know. But if I just want to go fast, I'd buy a Hayabussa. I want to go fast, look good and feel fantastic about owning and riding something very special... 1098s... you won't regret it. Buy a 1098 and no doubt you'll love it, but you'll spend the next couple of years trying to convince people that you really did prefer the standard model. Nobody but you will believe that.

I've also got a Porsche Boxster, people don't say 'wow, nice car', they say 'why didn't you get a 911?' And I try to convince them that I only need 2 seats and there's better luggage space. Of course the real reason is, I couldn't afford one and EVERYBODY knows that's the truth!

Buy the 1098s. Regret the things you do... Not the things you don't!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Excellent post. A rerfreshingly honest answer.

CAG

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 for the honest answer...

I probably would get the 'S' version if I could afford it even though I am never going to even ride the standard model to its potential. An S2R and a 1098 in my garage is all I need... until the next hottest thing comes out! :yo:

Ever since I began riding, I've been addicted to the thrill and the freedom it brings. I say, once on top the new superbike, it won't matter if there is an S attatched behind the 1098 or not. It's going to be one-helluva bike.

mws

·
Registered
535 Posts
I ordered a standard model. It is the better deal. Unlike past "S" models, the engine is the same.

For the $5000, we put together our own "S" package:
* New BST 7 spoke carbon wheels
* an Ohlins fork upgrade kit for the Showa with custom spring
* an Ohlins 3 way adjustable shock w/hydraulic preload and custom spring
* Ohlins steering damper
* Carbon Front Fender

The bike will handle, stop faster and accelerate faster than the "S" model.
I'll put the stock parts back on the bike when I sell it or sell it on EBAY...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got my 1098S today and have only ridden it for 100kms through the local hills on a 23C summer's day and would just have to say if you can afford the S, buy it you'll love it!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts