Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:) Owners of 1098's please tell us what you think about new bikes,how you compare them to your previous bikes, what you like and what you don't?

Thanks !!!! :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
The welds on the swing arm and exhaust are much improved over the 1098s I saw on Feb 9. With the slipons and the db killers removed the bike sounds like god's own thunder. The base looks better than the s. The S is too busy with the gold forks and red stripes on the wheels. It breaks the flow too much.
The riding position is fine. The height is not bad. I'm 5'7" and can almost stand flat footed.

Riding impressions to follow tomorrow.

CAG

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thank God for your comments CAG!!
I'm 5'8" and I thought everything felt fine in the showroom, but then everyone said that I'd have trouble with the seat height.

·
Registered
27 Posts
CAG said:
The welds on the swing arm and exhaust are much improved over the 1098s I saw on Feb 9. With the slipons and the db killers removed the bike sounds like god's own thunder. The base looks better than the s. The S is too busy with the gold forks and red stripes on the wheels. It breaks the flow too much.
The riding position is fine. The height is not bad. I'm 5'7" and can almost stand flat footed.

Riding impressions to follow tomorrow.

CAG

I ALSO PREFER THE BASE OVER THE "S" FOR LOOKS ONLY! THE ALL BLACK WHEELS LOOK HEAPS NICER

(CAG) GOTTA MENTION THOSE PHOTOS OF YOUR BIKE DO LOOK DANG FAN-TIS-E MO :smoking:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. Test rode the 1098S. No problem putting my feet down. I would like it to be a little lower, but I know I will get used to it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

I don't see how my forearms could be much closer to the mirrors.

CAG

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought one of those "unattractive" "S" models....aside from the ugly looks it rides absolutly awesome! A lot more vibration than the inline 4's I've owned in the past but I don't mind it. Handling is the best I've experienced so far..and I compair that to a 2006 Gixxer K5. The clutch is just a bit stiffer to pull in than I'm used to but not a big deal. Some one else mentioned their forearms being close to the mirrors, well I'm just waiting for mirror eliminator plates to come out! The mirrors are pointless. Not to much heat but then again it has not been that hot. My bike operates in the 155-162 range.
I can tell it's fast....just not sure how fast. Enjoy'em guy's

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
can anyone please post pics of their bikes w/mods, pipe, carbon etc.? some close ups too, maybe even w/you sitting on the bike and shots of hand, knee and foot clearance/position from different angles. some wheelie pics would really finish it off nicely! :yo:

I'm so jealous :bawling:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too have the "ugly" one! First impression riding it home? Gobs of torque everywhere. Makes any gear feel like the right gear. A pleasure to ride around town. Turn in is fantastic - bike feels like it'll ride itself into the twisties. Effortless! Braking is awesome. Comparing to a Aprilia, seating is more radical, more weight on wrists, stock mapping is better and smoother. Bike feels smaller, trimmer, more compact, definitely feels lighter.

More to come when I get the hair off the tires. :)

Modifications planned as soon as bike is broken in:
BST Carbon Wheels Full Carbon Bodywork With Custom Paint, Carbon Fiber Clutch Cover, Arrow Slipons, CRG Levers, Acculign rearsets, tripleclamps, shift and brake levers, Motovation Fork and Axle Sliders, ..more stuff when they become available

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ten-6 said:
can anyone please post pics of their bikes w/mods, pipe, carbon etc.? some close ups too, maybe even w/you sitting on the bike and shots of hand, knee and foot clearance/position from different angles. some wheelie pics would really finish it off nicely! :yo:

I'm so jealous :bawling:

Agree....post some pics !!!! :yo: :yo: :yo: :yo:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
kilat said:
I too have the "ugly" one! First impression riding it home? Gobs of torque everywhere. Makes any gear feel like the right gear. A pleasure to ride around town. Turn in is fantastic - bike feels like it'll ride itself into the twisties. Effortless! Braking is awesome. Comparing to a Aprilia, seating is more radical, more weight on wrists, stock mapping is better and smoother. Bike feels smaller, trimmer, more compact, definitely feels lighter.

More to come when I get the hair off the tires. :)

Modifications planned as soon as bike is broken in:
BST Carbon Wheels Full Carbon Bodywork With Custom Paint, Carbon Fiber Clutch Cover, Arrow Slipons, CRG Levers, Acculign rearsets, tripleclamps, shift and brake levers, Motovation Fork and Axle Sliders, ..more stuff when they become available
That my friend, sounds like a project bike in the works. I definitely plan on a carbon hugger and maybe rear sets, but i think we would all like to see pics as your bike progresses.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Kilat, how do you like ridding naked on the Brutale? Those 54mm fork tubes are massive!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picked up my standard 1098 yesterday, finally. Here's my opinion for what it's worth. First impression is that I have a lot to learn. This bike is so unbelievably capable. Psyched for the track days coming up and it will be a perfect environment. Also have a MTS 1000 and needless to say they are very different bikes. Absolute comfort on the MTS but can't beat the performance and looks of the 1098. Overall the bike (1098) is quite comfortable, much more than my friends 999. What really got my attention was the sound! Damn, stock and sounds like a 999r. Can't wait to break in the brakes and tires and loosen her up. Safe riding.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Still waiting for my bike... =[

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
The "S" model looks Sweet

Dibs said:
I bought one of those "unattractive" "S" models....aside from the ugly looks it rides absolutly awesome! A lot more vibration than the inline 4's I've owned in the past but I don't mind it. Handling is the best I've experienced so far..and I compair that to a 2006 Gixxer K5. The clutch is just a bit stiffer to pull in than I'm used to but not a big deal. Some one else mentioned their forearms being close to the mirrors, well I'm just waiting for mirror eliminator plates to come out! The mirrors are pointless. Not to much heat but then again it has not been that hot. My bike operates in the 155-162 range.
I can tell it's fast....just not sure how fast. Enjoy'em guy's
I don't know what you guys are talking about !! The S model is so nice! I could only afford the standard, but I've already sourced out a carbon fibre Front Guard and red rim stickers.. I'll even get the gold Ohlins forks when money permits...

Does anyone know if the Ohlins gears really improves the ride that much? I haven't taken delivery of my bike yet so it may not be to late to swap my standard order with someone who has changes there mind on the S..

·
Registered
547 Posts
Diablo said:
I don't know what you guys are talking about !! QUOTE]

Their being sarcastic. The ohlins is gonna be better geared for the track, while the Showa is more suited for the street. IMO If i were you I would save for the S. Getting all of the S parts on a Base model will be a few grand over what an S costs. Just buying the Ohlins alone will bring you in the ballpark of an S model. Ive seen the S' wheels going for a few grand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts