Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing rumors of problems with the computer on the 1098, starting or stalling issues... Can anyone confirm this?

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
99% of us cant comment on this since were still waiting for our bikes. where did you here this? But will all the testing that ducati has done on this bike, i doubt that the rumors are true. Even the CEO of ducati said that this engine has been dyno'd more than any other ducati engine to date, for quality and long term reliability.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I smell haterisum...lol, JK but seriously you got a link or just word of mouth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I HOPE this is just a rumor, because all I've ever heard about Ducatis is that you WILL get stranded at some point because of the electrics/electronics. I was hoping it was just BS. Please say it ain't so!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Its funny how rumors starts. Considering the amount of 1098 actually on the road, I think it's safe to say this may just be an isolated case. Another factor, which often is left out of the rumor mills, is where and when this took place. As we all know, in cold weather, an eginine, even todays high-tech EFI motors, if it isnt warmed up, may stutter or stall within a few minutes of start up. It's very normal and nothing to point your finger at as a problem. Altitude, fuel quality and or level, will also play a important role on whether or not a bike / engine may act that way. A faulty TPS sensor will cause similar problems, or even a bad injector. Having worked on cars and bikes for a LONG period of time and having several ASE certs under my belts, and engines computer is usually not the culprit. Nevertheless, a little more info on this rumor would be great.

Regarding Ducati's being unreliable - Here's how that rumor started. Ducati's are very specialized machines. Although it has an engine just like any other bike, it's engine is very unique to the way it runs when compared to lets say a more main stream japanese motor. Ducatis simply require a little more up keep, and so when these jap riders got on Ducati's and rode them to kingdom come, without observing specific service intervals, problems occured. You can't treat a Ducati in the same manor you can a jap bike. In no time people were reporting all sorts of problems, while true Ducati owners were enjoying their machines to the fullest. It's like taking a 16 year olds first honda away and handing him a ferrari. The ferrari's belts needs to be checked out at approx 10K miles, while the hondas doesnt. Will that kid take the time and pay the $$$ to have his ferrari checked out, most likley not. So when a onth later he blows a belt and the engine is dead and he's left with a $25K bill to face, what do you think he's going to say about his ferrari? Nothing good I bet.

What I'm trying to get it, how well your bike treats you, often goes hand in hand with how well you treat it....

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard via a head mech. at a Ducati shop in CA, through a friend and simlair rumors about. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or the same is all?

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ducati Guy stated it perfectly! :highclap:

I know many people who have duc's and multiple ducs, some with over 30k on them, they keep up with the maintenance like clock work and have never been stranded! They still run beautifully. If you don't have the $$$ for on time maintenance, then i suggest purchasing a Japanese bike, otherwise you probably wont be to happy owning a ducati that you cant maintain.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agree with Ducati Guy and Desmo Duc.

The only 'real' problems that I've personally known in the past were with a few engines for the 996. These handful of motors had bad plating on the rockers and the owners didn't stay on top of maintenance.

Ducati took care of the problem -- despite the fact that the problem really occurred due to failure to maintain scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My sisters 02 748s had an issue with the rockers, it did not pose any problem at the time but it was caught at one of her maintenance inspections,(THATS WHY MAINTENECE IS KEY ON THESE BIKES) Her bike is perfectly maintained, the rocker issue was due to a known manufacturing defect and even though the bike was out of warranty Ducati still replaced all rockers for free. Ducati wants all their customers to be 100% happy with their bikes and a lot of the time they will go above and beyond to see that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stalling problems

Visitor Q said:
I am hearing rumors of problems with the computer on the 1098, starting or stalling issues... Can anyone confirm this?

Jason
Just started to surf for Ducati problems on the net as my 1098S is starting to play up in town.

My amazing bike has 2000 miles has just started stalling at traffic lights in town. I have owned her from new since Feb this year. She seems to be at over 100 degrees in traffic and it kinda coughs and kills the motor. It is fine out in the country with free flowing riding but stationary at traffic lights it cuts out regularly. I have worked out that you have to turn the key off and then on again like a reset to get the bike to turn over and start as just pressing the start button without doing this won't turn her over. You get that 'I ainto got enough juice to do this' sound.

It is so bad now I'm going to have to take her in to my dealer as the beeps from the cars is starting to p**s me off. But I'll do that when the replacement r/h side mirror that fell off and smashed whilst she was parked up outside my work is in. It has been on order since early June!

I have had many other makes of bikes but I love Ducati and have been lucky enough to own 748, 916, 749R, 998R - I guess you could say I'm Ducati mad. However when you pay this much for a new bike you are a little disappointed when these things get in the way of an otherwise brilliant experience.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I asked about the stalling issue yesterday at the dealer before placing my order. I was told they had worked it out on the early production and were replacing the ecu. The stock set-up with cats and o2 sensor runs hot due to being so lean to meet epa requirments. Since the mapping cannot be flashed the ecu has to be replaced with new mapping. I chose to go with a race only Ducati ecu/ slip-on kit that removes the cats and 02 sensor to reduce the heat and head off any stalling issues.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was just yesterday reading an actual UK motorbike test magazine one test of a 1098S done in the UK. Horrible writing about this bike:" never lower the 4k rpm for a U-turn corner etc. Some magazines saying good stuff some bad stuff or maybe better bad mouthing. From my own experience the engine run's top class and never got any stalling issues. My 749 05' bike got all the time stalling issues so I assume Ducati made their homework over all this years to solve this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts