Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My very reliable 08' 1098 shut down whilst out riding yesterday. It was like the kill switch was hit.

Plenty of juice in the battery, all electrics ok, the bike was at about 75 deg C, so it was not overly hot and it has the upgraded VR. It turns over ok, but will not fire up.

My initial suspicion is a faulty sidestand switch and this is my starting point.

My question is: Is there an audible "click" when the sidestand is engaged/disengaged? I vaguely remember there is, howevever that is not the case with mine.

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
if it was the sidestand switch the starter motor will not turn over. easy way to check the sidestand switch is to bypass it at the connector (behind the left side fairing).

the switch itself does not make a "click" sound.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it was the sidestand switch the starter motor will not turn over. easy way to check the sidestand switch is to bypass it at the connector (behind the left side fairing).

the switch itself does not make a "click" sound.
Thank you for your info' and prompt reply.

I will do the bypass method and then investigate other options.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I stuck a piece of wire in the connector and some red RTV to keep the water and debris out, as this rotary switch is prone to cause intermittent problems... not something you want to be worried about while riding.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Shouldn't be that. If it's the switch, it won't do anything at all. Just like having the engine cutoff switch off.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi all.

My very reliable 08' 1098 shut down whilst out riding yesterday. It was like the kill switch was hit.

Plenty of juice in the battery, all electrics ok, the bike was at about 75 deg C, so it was not overly hot and it has the upgraded VR. It turns over ok, but will not fire up.

My initial suspicion is a faulty sidestand switch and this is my starting point.

My question is: Is there an audible "click" when the sidestand is engaged/disengaged? I vaguely remember there is, howevever that is not the case with mine.

Cheers...
Is the clutch basket moving, assuming it is an open clutch?

Is there any popping and farting out of the ordinary or just the starter motor turning?

CPS Crank position sensor maybe?

We need more info, can you do a video with sound?

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.