Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the wrong question a little too late since my 1098 will be here any day but how much harder will it be for me to handle the 1098 than my current 600cc sportbike. As I am sure the 1098 has loads more power (double the CC’s) I am a little bit concerned on how hard it will be for me to manage it. My current bike (Honda CBR 600RR) I have had for 3 years now managing to ride safely only tipping it over once at a stop sign when I grabbed too much brake with the bars turned… A mistake but a good lesson learned. The 600 is my first sportbike and I did take and pass the Motorcycle Safety Course. Just wondering how you guys feel about the 1098 compared to other bikes especially in my case (never rode a twin). I know it has a lot more power and braking speed, I just don’t want to get in over my head is all.

Oh and if it matters, I am 33.

Thanks.
Jason

Ps. I have no plans to try and wheelie the bike.

I do not stunt my 600RR and have no plans too.

My riding style is more of the twisties than anything.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Visitor Q said:
Maybe the wrong question a little too late since my 1098 will be here any day but how much harder will it be for me to handle the 1098 than my current 600cc sportbike. As I am sure the 1098 has loads more power (double the CC’s) I am a little bit concerned on how hard it will be for me to manage it. My current bike (Honda CBR 600RR) I have had for 3 years now managing to ride safely only tipping it over once at a stop sign when I grabbed too much brake with the bars turned… A mistake but a good lesson learned. The 600 is my first sportbike and I did take and pass the Motorcycle Safety Course. Just wondering how you guys feel about the 1098 compared to other bikes especially in my case (never rode a twin). I know it has a lot more power and braking speed, I just don’t want to get in over my head is all.

Thanks.
Jason

Thanks Again!

Hmmm.. I have a similar concern too. My last bike was a Duc 998. What is the horse difference between them? I do some wheelies, however like Jason. I like the twisties than doing the crazy stunts. I would like to take it to the tracks someday, but I need to have some money in the reserves in case I need to purchase some replacement parts after t1.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only time I have ever wheelied my bike was by mistake. Hitting the back roads and gassing it too much coming up an incline I could feel the front end start to lift up.

I feel that I can handle my 600 fairly well but I do have respect for it as I know at any given moment it could kick my a$$. However, I do run it through the gears very hard and feel I get the most out of what the bike has to offer me more or less. I mean I don’t track the bike and I am not the best rider in the world so that is why I say “more or less”.

Jason

Ps. I mean do be honest with you at some point and time I am sure I will drive the 1098 beyond my means, I have done with with my 600… I’m sure we all have but I don’t plan on acting like too much of an a$$ on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Respect the capabilities of the bike, know your own limits, go slow and learn, and you should grow with the bike. One of the big differences is to watch out for coming from a 600 I4 to the 1098 is that torque delivery occurs at much lower RPMs and there is more of it, and it is way, way fast!!!!!!
F

·
Registered
9 Posts
really, another 40 or whatever horsepower shouldn't get you in trouble. I'm suprised both of you are concerned, both having had 100+hp bikes. The throttle is something you control, so why would you think the extra hp is going to cause problems? From what I hear about the brakes, they're the more likely suspect to cause a newish rider problems (insane power lots of initial bite). Of course, the best place to learn how to use any sporting motorcycle , imo, is the track. I suggest trackdays, or advanced rider schools. But that's my answer to everything :)

edit- although 1098s' comments about torque are right on. That will take some getting used to coming from a 600 I4 :)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that the bike only goes as fast as I twist the throttle but I also realize with more horsepower that an error could become more critical than on my 600.

I don’t now what concerns me more, the bigger brakes or the extra power.

I know that I can hammer on my 600RR through all the gears and not worry about the front end lifting up, I doubt this is the case with the 1098.?

Jason

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the biggest concern when moving up (especially to a torque monster like the 1098) is your throttle position.

I try to tell new people to start out on a smaller less powerful bike for this reason. By this I mean if you are in a turn hit some bumps and you accidently blip/cut the throttle, on a lesser bike this wont have bad consequences. But on a bike like the 1098 it most likely will upset the suspension and put you in a bad situation. On the lesser bike you can worry more about what you are doing i.e. body position, looking through the turn, etc etc instead of what the bike is doing.

I agree with 20Hz, the throttle is something you can control but a slight flick of the wrist on a 600 at 3-4k rpm is worlds apart from the same flick on a 1098.

Just like any of these machines just show it respect and you will be fine. But its definately something to think about.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Visitor Q said:
I understand that the bike only goes as fast as I twist the throttle but I also realize with more horsepower that an error could become more critical than on my 600.

I don’t now what concerns me more, the bigger brakes or the extra power.

I know that I can hammer on my 600RR through all the gears and not worry about the front end lifting up, I doubt this is the case with the 1098.?

Jason
I went from a 600RR to the 1000RR a few years ago... The problem which I came to was that I hit the throttle to pass a car and during that I guess the front end got light and when I started to lean into a turn right after I had no contact to the ground and kissed the ditch...
But like you said earlier, you learn out of those things...

But besides that I had no problems caused from the HP difference.... And I think it will take time for all of us to manage a new bike... that's always a different leaning, acceleration, braking time....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree with Germany. It's a new bike. You'll have to get used to it. Even more so coming off an i4. Just remember that you can't twist the throttle full open right away or grab a fistfull of brake. Take your time and learn the way the bike reacts. Learn to engine brake and you'll love the twin.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just want to be safe. I know it will take sometime to get use to the bike but I am going to have to push it a little to break it in correctly. Last thing I want to do is wreck it because I got on it too hard, too soon.

I remember 3 years ago when I first brought home my 600RR on the back of a pickup truck. Brand new bike, only sportbike I was on before that was a Ninja 250 and I rode it around in a parking lot trying to put my feet out around the corners like I was on some dirt bike or something.  You can laugh. Anyway, I took it down off the truck and started it up in my driveway twisting the throttle. When I saw how fast it rev’d up and how much noise it made, I thought I was going to cry. I said to myself, I am going to kill myself! Long story short… 3 years later I look at it as one of the best investments I have ever made. I now own a D&D exhaust which we all know are loud, took the Safety Course, got my license and meet a lot of great people along the way!

Jason

·
Registered
122 Posts
You should not have any problem with the transition; however, the 1098 is deceptively fast. It handles so well at high speeds that if you’re not careful you may be carrying a little too much speed than you would like into a corner. As long as you are aware of it you should not have any problems. Take it slow at first and get to know the bike. Then ride it like you stole it. LOL

·
Registered
176 Posts
Visitor Q said:

Thanks.
Jason

Thanks Again!

Hey Jason,

I too am going from a 2006 CBR 600rr to a 1098. All the "elders" with more experience in my riding group (I'm 38) are discouraging me to follow through with the purchase of my bike, but I just love the way that thing looks. Am I scared? Yes, to a certain degree, but I'm more excited and curious than scared. I don't ride aggressively, so I don't really worry about it, but the power this bike has could change all that.
Here's my plan. If I like the 1098, I'll keep it and sell the CBR. If not, I'll sell the 1098 (hopefully for what I paid for it) and keep the CBR. Either way, I can't lose. :) Just be very careful with the throttle and get used to the bike in a safe place....that's what the "elders" keep telling me. Many of them used to race 1000cc bikes, so I'm taking their advice very seriously. I have a family to look after and being injured or dead (knock of wood) would really screw things up,eh? :)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I got a 2004 CBR and I just love it! She is all paid for this month and I just can't bring myself to get rid of it... Would be like giving away my first born. So now it will have someone to talk to over those long winter months here in PA when they are both in storage for the winter. =]

Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
jason,

i just went from a 600 to the 1098. i had some of the same concerns as you do. But after ridding for about 600 miles, most of them are gone. the power delivery is so smooth that i like it much more than the I4. I am following ducatis break in rules which i think has helped me to adjust to the extra HP, torque and other differences between the bikes (weight wasn't an issue b/c the 1098 is lighter than my 600 from the reports i have seen). I get my 1st service this weekend so then we will see what an extra 2500 rpm will do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you are guys are being hyper-vigilant-which is good. I went from a CBR600 F4i to the RC51. It was a gain in 20+ hp and nearly double the torque. However, I feel that it was the silky, smooth torque that gave me confidence and allowed me to go faster than on the CBR. IMO, the twin power pulses are more predictable which in turn allows for faster exit speeds and more confidence. I don't know if the 1098 is like the RC, but I hope it is, with 20 more hp, and minus 50 lbs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
After riding my bike for about 4-5 miles. My concern is gone. The power is smooth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts