Ducati.org forum banner

1098 Track Bike Blues

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  DesmoAndrew 
#1 ·
My track ride for the last few years developed a a bad vibration at the last track session ... finally was able to tear it down. One rod bearing was absolutely knackered. Anyone use Ben Fox lately? His website seems kinda stale, wasn't sure if was still active? Would like to save the rod if possible. Likely just find a new crank.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Quick update ... the recent virus events left me with a little less coin in the pocket for the possibility of a new bike ... So I sent the crank and rods to Ben Fox, they've been repaired (magnaflux, repair journal, nitride crank, resize rods, and refit with new bearings). I enquired of Ben what he set the rod bearing clearance to and he told me he aims for 0.0018 - 0.0025 inch. He also suggested I run Motul 300V 15/50 oil. He stated that he sees many rod journals that where damaged while using Mobil 1 (4T has been my norm), but has seen none with the Motul.

We lost our local Ducati dealer last year, so I've been ordering parts from Cross Country Ducati in New Jersey - they have the full parts catalog online and a decent ordering system. It did take a while for the parts (mostly seals and orings) to get here from Italy, but they arrived last week. Recommended if you need an online source.

While waiting for the crank assembly, I've checked and adjusted the end play on the transmission shafts and shift drum - they were at the far end of spec. Figured closer to middle would be better for track use.

#8 ·
Some final closure on the project. Finally got the shims I needed to get the crank to the correct preload.

Cut the valve seats with a Neway cutter .. had shop grind the valve faces.

The timing mark ended up being a bugger. Not the usual "two dots" on most of these gears I've seen. I wont say when I fully understood that the small mark above the keyway slot was not the correct mark ... grr

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.