Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to replace the triple tree on a 1098s and hoping to get some beta here on brands that have worked well for others.

Recent front end damage has lead to the search for better handling on the front end.

I’m looking for feedback on the performance gains in the field and track with adjusted offsets.

thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am searching for the same. I will say that on the street the 1098 s can be set up so poorly that it squats and goes straight in turns. Advice given to me here. Before you go down the rabbit hole. Be certain your forks and shock are fresh rebuilds. Be sure you understand the relationship between spring rate and rebound adjustment. Stock the bike is so far off for anyone over 165 pounds that to me it is dangerous.

Tell me how you crashed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1098s I only ride at the track...the bike needs aftermarket triples to change the the offset to make the bike handle. The stock offset is like 36mm or 34mm...I first tried a 30mm offset it was better but the manufacturer of the triples said 27mm would work the best and they were right. I heard Troy Bayliss rode with 25mm offset but who know what else was done with that bike.
The rear needs alittle work too, just fyi

·
Registered
74 Posts
It took me over a year of testing to get my 1098R to handle. So here is a LOT of hard earned information, I wouldn't ordinarily give except a lot of time has passed since the 1098. I still have mine it's still in my herd but there are better bikes... like an Aprilia and yes I have a V4S.... fact Aprilia is better. Do the following and the 1098 will handle very well.

Stock triple is a 36mm and trail is only 94mm which is waaaay too short, the bike will not hold a line, will run wide and handles like crap.

All 1098/1198 handle like CRAP stock, Ducati should be embarrassed they sold them like this!

First free stuff, Push the forks down through the triple clamps until they are even with the silver cap, which RAISES the front giving you more trail.

Next free stuff, Lower the rear end by loosening the rear spring, do this one whole turn at a time then testing until you've gone too far at which point it will suddenly handle like crap... then put one full turn back in. Doing this gives you more trail.

Next, Put 25mm Superbike valving in the forks get the valve kit from Dan Kyle or have him do it, the stock S and R valving is total crap, you'll never get the stock valving to absorb bumps and it also dives horribly at the bottom of the stroke.

The Stock front springs are way too stiff, it has 10.0 springs stock I went to 9.5 then 9.0 I'm 220lbs with gear. Use 9.0 springs then Fine tune the front via changing the air gap (oil height in the forks) I lowered the fork oil level 5mm at a time.... 10mm total less oil than spec was good.

Then if you still don't like it go to a 30mm triple it doesn't matter what brand except for looks they all do they same thing... a 30mm triple increases trail which it BADLY NEEDS! When going less than 30mm you get into the tire hitting the radiator at full compression of which you need to modify the radiator moving it back, a 30mm is good with the front raised and rear lowered.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I have DOS 27's in my street bike and ran 25's in my track bike. 25's need the bottom of the radiator shifting back and the fans removing. So much more feedback from the front and a lot more confidence tipping in at speed. I complemented the triples with a linear rear link and slotted the rear brake caliper mount to rotate the hub further and extend the axle further rearward. These changes orrected the front to rear weight bias from 48/52 to 52/48. Transformed the bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts