Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been plenty of posts pertaining to the same symptoms and I have scoured the internet for weeks trying to find a solution to no avail. I would greatly appreciate someone more knowledgeable than I guiding me through this. The bike turns on with zero codes on dash, will turn over, but a bit slow. Will not actually start. Would like some guidance on what to look at and best course of action to isolate and diagnose. Fuel system cleaning alone was $500 which I could easily have done myself. And they weren’t sure themselves of what might be the problem. Really don’t want to go to a shop again.

Ok, so here’s what has been done so far:
- starter removed to clean commutator and check brushes
- injectors were checked to make sure they’re not leaking and will pass fuel
- second starter lead was installed for better current flow
- new 220cca battery installed
- voltage regulator was supposedly changed according to vin before bike was purchased
- fuel system was cleaned by Ducati master techs
- isolated FPR to verify functioning
- fuel pump check valve was bad so installed stand alone check valve
- spark plugs are nearly brand new

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Threw bat on charger for a bit. Will get a video up as soon as possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another important detail I failed to add; when bike would start it would not idle. Very rough and choppy. Thought it was the old battery. I had 3 different places check and they said it was good, but figured I’d play it safe and replace it anyway. Old one was 180cca.

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
The purpose of posting videos is to hear and see the starting procedure. Your video has to much external noise.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I suspect the OP bought a non-runner and thought it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to get it running. Good luck. I also doubt very much that the starter was actually removed. Let me guess-2007 model?

This bike needs to go to a proper shop that knows the make and model very well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike was ridden to me by the previous owner with an admitted rough idle. And I personally removed the starter, disassembled and cleaned the starter assembly. I’m an aviation technician by trade. Not my first rodeo. I would greatly appreciate if you guys would refrain from completely unproductive responses such as the previous one. Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for the response about the video, I apologize but I unfortunately live in front of a major intersection, thus the background noise. May try to do a late night recording and see if that helps

·
Registered
806 Posts
My apologies and correction. You bought a barely running bike and thought it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to get it running properly. Good luck.

The bike needs to go to a shop that knows this make and model well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike has already been looked at by 2 Ducati master techs. They’re the only 2 in 100-150 mile radius of me and they both work at the same shop. Looking to avoid spending a bunch of money, because as most will agree, master techs are expensive. Hence the reason for me seeking help here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you don’t want to help that’s perfectly fine, but please don’t chastise me for not wanting to fork over that kind of cash.

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
That's a pretty slow turning 1098 for sure.

Did you test to see if it actually sparks?
When you remove one of the air runners you can check in the air box to see if the fuel injectors work.

Try starting it with the clutch pulled in and give it a little bit of throttle, does that improve the situation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The techs checked for spark and gave me the green light on that, but I can check it again. I did however physically remove the injectors to make sure they pulsed on each stroke during turn over. And also tried holding the clutch and turning to different degrees of throttle input.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts