Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried anything other than pirelli my rear is shot, can't get them local.

·
Registered
161 Posts
G

·
The Dragons that come standard are great I love them unfortunatly I cant afford a tyre that wears out so fast. I have 3000kms now and it has worn flat. I am hoping to stretch it out to 5000km but I dont like my chances, more than likley I'll get 4000kms. I'm going to get the standard Diablo maybe or corse std next and run the same front . Then I reckon I'll try Pilot Powers, they seem to be getting good reports here, for grip and milage.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
tire wear

slob said:
The Dragons come standard. I have 3000kms now and it has worn flat.
Slob,

Your rear tire needs to be replaced after only 3,000kms??!!! Geez! I understand that bike tires, (especailly softer compound tires), wear rapidly, but this is a bit extreme! I'm guessing Pirelli Dragons aren't cheap!!! This must be part of the "reduced maintanance costs" Ducati keeps talking about.

Elton

·
Registered
79 Posts
In the May issue of MotorCyclist, they fitted the 1098s with 190/50 tires which helped the handling because of the "1098's tail high attitude". You may want to look into this size. Also, when it comes time for me to buy new tires, I'll be looking at the Michelins. I've run Dunlop Qualifiers and Pirellis before, but I'm a fan of the Michelin Pilot Power.

·
Registered
161 Posts
rettags said:
In the May issue of MotorCyclist, they fitted the 1098s with 190/50 tires which helped the handling because of the "1098's tail high attitude". You may want to look into this size. Also, when it comes time for me to buy new tires, I'll be looking at the Michelins. I've run Dunlop Qualifiers and Pirellis before, but I'm a fan of the Michelin Pilot Power.
Good to know with the different size, but will it make a big difference with the speedo?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I too second the recommendation of Michelin Pilot Powers- either standard or CT both are superb street tires and do very well with occasional track days!

·
Registered
140 Posts
rettags said:
In the May issue of MotorCyclist, they fitted the 1098s with 190/50 tires which helped the handling because of the "1098's tail high attitude".
Of course the journalists at Motorcyclist know better than the engineers at Ducati.

The 1098 has a 55-profile tire to make it turn in better; it's got a higher profile than a 190/50. I cannot believe those goofballs put on a different size tire, and then wasted the entire set of rubber getting the suspension dialed in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yossarian, keep in mind that Ducati as a company sells the bike to a wide customer base- and as such may equip the bike with tires that perform well in both street & track conditions but may not be OPTIMAL for track use. This is perfectly normal as they have to accomodate the majority of their potential buyer which likely wont see track use. The shorter profile might (and likely) be a better track tire and this is why Michelin and others offer a tire in that size......it's not second guessing Ducati it's just making more choices available to riders of all skill levels and intended uses.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
road or track it has to be 55. Higher profile gives bigger contact patch on corners.

G

·
There ain't too many choices in 55 I've been looking around since this thread has started. What are Bridgestone Battleaxes like?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 55 does NOT create a bigger contact patch~ the 50 or 55 designates the ratio of height to width- so a 190 size tire is still 190- the 55 is fractionally taller which aids in bump compliance as well as additional ride height and a small gain in cornering clearance- other than those things the contact area is the same.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
steve u obviously have a great way with words but u don't know s**t about tyres.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Contact patch

SteveNunez said:
The 55 does NOT create a bigger contact patch. the 55 is fractionally taller which aids in bump compliance as well as additional ride height and a small gain in cornering clearance- other than those things the contact area is the same.
Steve,

I'm with Paddy on this one. A taller tire means more surface area touching the ground as you lean. More surface area = bigger contact patch. That's why they run 55 in motogp. And that's why they're on the 1098.

Elton

1 - 20 of 38 Posts